RT electric fault

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
johnhocking

RT electric fault

Post by johnhocking »

My 2006 RT1200 has developed a problem where the battery keeps draining and it wont start, new battery same problem, it now clicks the ignition on and off when connected but wont start. i am suspecting an earth fault but dont know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem
LAF

Re: RT electric fault

Post by LAF »

When something like this happens I always go to or ask, "what was the last thing done to the bike".

I assume the bike did not act this way before?

If your battery went bad and you bought a new one and it is not holding a charge it may be the new battery and a coincidence it is bad and acts the same way.  I have had a bad new battery or two in my life. 

Have you put a volt meter on them.

I would charge it either off the bike or disconnected and then test voltage.  Then connect it and look for drain over a few days or however long you see it drop.

guest2360

Re: RT electric fault

Post by guest2360 »

If you have anything wired into the accessory socket it's possible for it to stay live and run the battery down.  When you switch off can you hear the canbus shutting down, normally just a little click.  Failing that take it to a dealer.  It's going to cost you less than replacing batteries.  Heavy gel ones are never the same if they end up fully flattened.