2013 RT fuel strip issue - what are indicators?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

2013 RT fuel strip issue - what are indicators?

Post by blastfurnace »

Riding down the road today and my fuel gauge went from 1/4 to full for about 5 minutes and then back down to 1/4.  Not sure if this is a quirk or a sign of the fuel strip starting to fail?  I know there are options for replacement, but is there some sort of service for this?
mcwhirtj

Re: 2013 RT fuel strip issue - what are indicators?

Post by mcwhirtj »

As far as I know, that is not a symptom of "the" fuel strip issue.  As happened to me, symptom was simply incorrect reading, showing more fuel near empty than was there.  Stranded me once before I realized what was wrong.  I had the "fix" but it still over estimates, and now I just rely on my trip meter.  But a "jumpy" reading like that is new to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

mcwhirtj wrote: As far as I know, that is not a symptom of "the" fuel strip issue.  As happened to me, symptom was simply incorrect reading, showing more fuel near empty than was there.  Stranded me once before I realized what was wrong.  I had the "fix" but it still over estimates, and now I just rely on my trip meter.  But a "jumpy" reading like that is new to me.

So it never jumped back to the correct reading after showing the incorrect reading?
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

It also seems this is most common in earlier models.  How common is it in the 2010-2013 series?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It really stayed a bit of a problem until they stopped production in 2913 but later ones weren't quite as bad.  I remember somebody on here (repairing) a broken one. I suspect normally the only cure is a replacement strip.  You could try filling up then set the trip and see how it goes..  Might just have been a blip.
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

BMW extended the warranty on the fuel strip for '05 through '13 model years, so I expect that any within that range have same design and issue.  My RT is an '08.  Not sure if they stuck w/ the fuel strip sensor for >'13 models or if they went to a float system (?).    To answer your question regarding my symptom:  No - mine never "jumped" back to a correct reading.  It was as if it was just out of calibration.  It would show full when full, but 1/4 or 1/3 full at empty.  But it would go down smoothly as I used up fuel - never jump around.

I attached a copy of the BMW service bulletin with info on the extended warranty, and some description of the problem.

Jim
Attachments
SB-10056106-7277.pdf
(528 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

mcwhirtj wrote: BMW extended the warranty on the fuel strip for '05 through '13 model years, so I expect that any within that range have same design and issue.  My RT is an '08.  Not sure if they stuck w/ the fuel strip sensor for >'13 models or if they went to a float system (?).    To answer your question regarding my symptom:  No - mine never "jumped" back to a correct reading.  It was as if it was just out of calibration.  It would show full when full, but 1/4 or 1/3 full at empty.  But it would go down smoothly as I used up fuel - never jump around.

I attached a copy of the BMW service bulletin with info on the extended warranty, and some description of the problem.

Jim

Thanks!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In 2011 if the bike was out of warranty they would not change them FOC.  If the replacement then went they would.  The cost of the strip in U.K. was £99.00
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

RTman10 wrote: In 2011 if the bike was out of warranty they would not change them FOC.  If the replacement then went they would.  The cost of the strip in U.K. was £99.00
I don't know if the warranty extension was a US-only thing (maybe?), but the warranty extension was just that - extended coverage beyond standard warranty (extended to 12 years).  But it was specific to the fuel strip.  I had mine replaced under this deal, well after the bike was otherwise out of warranty, at zero charge to me.
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

12 YEARS.  Definitely US only.

blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

this happened to me today, but I was watching it more carefully.  Just around a 1/4 tank, the fuel gauge jumped up to full when I hit a pretty significant curve and leaned the bike over.  When I got home, I shook the bike left and right and it went back down to a 1/4 tank.  The bike computer went from saying I had 120 miles left in the tank to 160.  It sounds like this isn't exactly the fuel strip issues, but I don't know.

Is it even worth getting this fixed?  It sounds like some people end up replacing the fuel strip multiple times a year.  Hard for me to imagine that bike that costs this much doesn't have a reliable fuel gauge.
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Blastfurnace - my 07 played up today. Filled her up (gauge showing full) then within 4 miles it was showing 3/4 full... mine seems to be hitting an age where everything is going wrong!
panaray

Post by panaray »

Mine has the same symptom. The gauge goes up to full when it reaches approximately at 1/4 full. Jumps up and down a few times and creates havoc with miles to empty counter. Ive been using the odometer as precaution and filling up every ~200 miles

Honestly speaking since I got my '11 only a few months ago, I suspected it as a quirk on this particular bike.  Glad I did a phrase search on this forum to find the service bulletin. A BIG THANKS to the poster.

Will be making a call to a dealer once I return from my (current) 2500 mile trip to Nova Scotia trip
Last edited by panaray on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panaray

Post by panaray »

So I took my bike (MY11)  to a local dealer, with a copy of the service bulletin in my hand two weekends ago. The past service history stated that the pump was replaced, but the fuel strip was not. One of the tech said something about a redesigned fuel strip is available and that should do it....a two hour job. The bike was picked up a week later.  Not a problem, but a bit annoying after a tech's claim for the work. 

I wouldn't be posting here if it was fixed....but it wasn't.  The problem persists.  The fuel gauge goes up from ~1/3 full up to FULL, then back a few times.  I still can't identify the trigger for this behavior.

When I reported the problem to the dealer, he claimed that the pump was replaced again, but the fuel strip was not (go figure).  Additionally, the service manager claimed to that there is not permanent fix and replacing the fuel strip may not correct the situation.  He did, however, stated  that a claim to BMW USA and see if he can get authorization to have it worked on again.  I found this response somewhat odd, based on past posts, but I just want to get it fixed.

Now, the question for the (wise) forum reader is, "does the service manager's claim "hold water?"  What would be the logic (or supporting document) which would aide in getting the problem fixed?  Should I be visiting another dealer?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

My 2007 RT has had the fuel strip fail twice. On both occasions it shows there is much more fuel in the tank than there really is.

eg after riding 100 miles the "distance to empty", still reads 300 miles!