2013 RT fuel strip issue - what are indicators?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richarddacat

Re: 2013 RT fuel strip issue - what are indicators?

Post by richarddacat »

New guy, potential 2010RT buyer....maybe.

This fuel strip, is there a better fix for this than just replacing it? Maybe a float replacement from a newer model?
What years was this strip used?

I’m also thinking a 2014 wet head may be a better option for me since this may be my last bike.

Thx

Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi Panaray, sounds like the service manager is somewhat imprecise. If the fuel reading is out, why replace a pump? The sensor is giving the readout. The strip design looks like it could give false readings if it gums up. Fuel quality or if left to stand for long periods with a low fuel level might not help, just a thought.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
panaray

Post by panaray »

So the bike was taken to the dealer expecting the fuel level strip to be replaced.
After about a 2 hour wait, I was told that my bike has a float-type fuel level sensor. Not sure what was done, but the indicator worked fine. That was last fall
It worked fine since then but today, the symptom returned today.
Sound like this problem can’t be fixed.
Time to rely on the odometer from now on?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

My 2007 RT had the fuel strip go cranky. It was replaced by dealer under the used Motorrad warranty. Then it immediately went wrong again within two months.

The gauge over-reads a LOT. I am not going to bother getting it replaced. I just fill up every 300 miles.