New tank bag

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

New tank bag

Post by timminator »

Loving my new tank bag, just installed it this weekend. SW-Motech makes a really high quality kit, top notch materials and excellent instructions.  Took about 20 minutes to complete the installation.  Clips onto the tank via bracket, no straps to deal with.  I guess time will tell how well it holds up.
Attachments
2017-07-17 20.26.23.jpg
2017-07-17 20.26.05.jpg
2017-07-17 20.25.54.jpg
2017-07-17 20.25.35.jpg
2017-07-17 20.25.10.jpg
2017-07-17 20.24.57.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
RaistlinRTCW

Re: New tank bag

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Have seen a number of review vids on youtube giving it postive reviews, and would be certainly one I would consider if I ever need one
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Looks like a nice piece of kit. The only thing is it doesn't have a clear plastic pocket on the top for keeping quick access items in eg passport, tickets, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

I have had the same bag on mine all summer.  I like it a lot....just make sure it's snapped on.  Sometimes when I think it's secured, it's not.

Enjoy it....I love mine.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

B787MECH wrote: Looks like a nice piece of kit. The only thing is it doesn't have a clear plastic pocket on the top for keeping quick access items in eg passport, tickets, etc.

I solved that problem with buying one of these too....which has the phone/map clear attachment to the top.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Fitted the same bag 6 months ago, did a trip to Europe in June, the bag was brilliant, so much easier than a bum bag. Top bit of kit, really impressed
timminator

Post by timminator »

B787MECH wrote: Looks like a nice piece of kit. The only thing is it doesn't have a clear plastic pocket on the top for keeping quick access items in eg passport, tickets, etc.

Yep, that was a conscious decision on my part.  I didn't want a large bag, and it seems that's what you are forced into if you want the map holder.  I generally use the Nav V, so happy with my smaller model and better visibility to the dashboard.  This one also has a zipper around the base, which you can release to add about 2 inches of height when you really need it.
BMW MOA #210438
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

timminator wrote: Yep, that was a conscious decision on my part.  I didn't want a large bag, and it seems that's what you are forced into if you want the map holder.  I generally use the Nav V, so happy with my smaller model and better visibility to the dashboard.  This one also has a zipper around the base, which you can release to add about 2 inches of height when you really need it.
I think I'll stick with the BMW tank bag which is the right size for what I want ( stowing valuables etc) and has a see-through plastic pocket on the top for passports, tickets etc. I find it reassuring to actually be able to see the things you want as you approach customs,etc.

Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Bought the same one last year. Love it and it's holding up well for about 16k miles. It's the perfect size, doesn't interfere with the handlebars. Really love the quick release system. Makes it simple to get to the fuel lid. Stores a lot of stuff, especially with the zippered expansion open. Very high quality. Just wish it was waterproof. You'll definitely need to keep the rain cover handy. I learned the hard way.
Steve
timminator

Post by timminator »

B787MECH wrote: I think I'll stick with the BMW tank bag which is the right size for what I want ( stowing valuables etc) and has a see-through plastic pocket on the top for passports, tickets etc. I find it reassuring to actually be able to see the things you want as you approach customs,etc.

Guess that's one difference living in the states.  I rarely, if ever, cross international borders where I would need a passport.  May travel up to Vancouver BC or Victoria one of these days, but just a single border crossing.
BMW MOA #210438
Ihbond

Post by Ihbond »

timminator wrote: Loving my new tank bag, just installed it this weekend. SW-Motech makes a really high quality kit, top notch materials and excellent instructions.  Took about 20 minutes to complete the installation.  Clips onto the tank via bracket, no straps to deal with.  I guess time will tell how well it holds up.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the tank bolts...?
2016 r1200rt
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ihbond wrote:
Does anyone know the torque specs for the tank bolts...?

4.5 Nm, but think I didn't tighten the ring that much, as it was starting to distort, so put some thread lock and tightened until it was secure
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote:
4.5 Nm, but think I didn't tighten the ring that much, as it was starting to distort, so put some thread lock and tightened until it was secure
Correct on both counts.  The manual does specify 4.5Nm, but I couldn't get the torque wrench to click before the ring started to distort. With the thread locker, it doesn't need to be nearly that tight, I'd suggest just going until you start to get resistance, and then do another half turn or so.
BMW MOA #210438
Ihbond

Post by Ihbond »

Thanks
2016 r1200rt
Ihbond

Post by Ihbond »

I got the tank bag last night and torque specs where indeed in there...heh..
2016 r1200rt