Navigator V on 2013 RT - wonder wheel compatibility?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Navigator V on 2013 RT - wonder wheel compatibility?

Post by blastfurnace »

I just bought a Nav 5 for my 2013 RT on the assumption that some functionality could be controlled through the "wonderwheel" based on some article I read. Doing some reasearch, it seems like that is not true.  I have seen conflicting reports, so looking for clarification.  Can you control the GPS through the wonderwheel at all?  My bike came with the cradle, so it will be linking into that.

I know somewhere this has been answered or addressed, but I just can't seem to find it.  I do a lot of commuting and going to construction sites, so navigation is important.

Thanks!

guest2360

Re: Navigator V on 2013 RT - wonder wheel compatibility?

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure if yours will but it does very little on any of thrm and none of it to  do with direct navigation.  All the wheel does on an LC is zoom, change the page , turn the screen off and I think repeat the last prompt.  Sounds OK but you have to go into the memory for each function.  By that time you have probably run into something .  Don't think I bothered with mine in 3 years of ownership.  Your buttons are far more useful ad covers most of the above.
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure if yours will but it does very little on any of thrm and none of it to  do with direct navigation.  All the wheel does on an LC is zoom, change the page , turn the screen off and I think repeat the last prompt.  Sounds OK but you have to go into the memory for each function.  By that time you have probably run into something .  Don't think I bothered with mine in 3 years of ownership.  Your buttons are far more useful ad covers most of the above.

As ever, thanks for the feedback, RTMan. 
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure if yours will but it does very little on any of thrm and none of it to  do with direct navigation.  All the wheel does on an LC is zoom, change the page , turn the screen off and I think repeat the last prompt.  Sounds OK but you have to go into the memory for each function.  By that time you have probably run into something .  Don't think I bothered with mine in 3 years of ownership.  Your buttons are far more useful ad covers most of the above.

Does that apply to a 2015 RT?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yep, pretty rubbish on all RTs including 2015. On the 2017 you get more info on the Nav V, but nothing changes with the wheel. I never use it with the Nav
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

If you have your phone paired to the Nav, it also allows you to accept/reject calls via the wheel.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So.  If you have your digital speedo on the screen, don't we all, and the phone rings, instead of just touching the Nav screen for accept you go through the menu for the Nav and then scroll down to phone and then no doubt press inwards to accept.  Mind you I wasn't aware BMW had been mad enough to do that.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Apologies if this move matters away from the  original 2013 question, but I would appreciate advice about a Nav V or maybe a Nav V1.

I currently have an  HD Garmin 660 which was on my Road King before I bought the RT new in 2015.

The 660 gets me from A to B without any frills and cannot be used with the BMW wheel. It seems slow and at times unresponsive. I therefore feel the time is right to update.

For the cost of the Nav V or V1, I would expect some considerable advantages, with the convenience of wheel operation for at least,  basic functions.

I am in a quandary, just before a European trip, as to whether to 'bite the bullet' and if so, which one !

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The wheel is a red herring with all of them.  The V is big step ahead of the 660 with a better brighter and larger screen and improved guidance.  It's also quick. 
I have not used the VI but opinions seem to be it has a better screen yet again but the other new features which  I cannot comment on are nothing special.  There has to be lots of offers on the V now because of the VI so shopping around might be worth while.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

RTman10 wrote: The wheel is a red herring with all of them.  The V is big step ahead of the 660 with a better brighter and larger screen and improved guidance.  It's also quick. 
I have not used the VI but opinions seem to be it has a better screen yet again but the other new features which  I cannot comment on are nothing special.  There has to be lots of offers on the V now because of the VI so shopping around might be worth while.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I moved from a 660 to a Nav V. The Nav V is a lot better, screen is bigger, which is a bonus to me. I have never used the wheel and I have my phone paired to the Nav V, but with my BT I just make a noise and it answers the call automatically, so don't need to touch the screen on the Nav. If you go to UKGSER forum there are loads of posts about the difference between the V and VI, many upgraded. But when reading bear in mind, the GS wheel works differently to the RT one
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Casbar wrote: I moved from a 660 to a Nav V. The Nav V is a lot better, screen is bigger, which is a bonus to me. I have never used the wheel and I have my phone paired to the Nav V, but with my BT I just make a noise and it answers the call automatically, so don't need to touch the screen on the Nav. If you go to UKGSER forum there are loads of posts about the difference between the V and VI, many upgraded. But when reading bear in mind, the GS wheel works differently to the RT one

Yes,  I have been looking at U Tube videos of the Nav V, but in every case it is fitted on a GS.  Difficult to get a true picture of its operation and limitations on an RT.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Forget about the wonder wheel. Just use the Nav like you used your 660, and the Nav V is miles better, quicker and an clearer screen.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What the Nav V does on the GS but not the RT is give you an App called My Bike (or something like that). However the RT dash has a lot if this info to start with. It's a bit like the wheel function, irrelevant. 
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

RTman10 wrote: What the Nav V does on the GS but not the RT is give you an App called My Bike (or something like that).
On the '17 RT the Nav VI displays the My Bike info screen.