future owner (maybe)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yankee_978

future owner (maybe)

Post by yankee_978 »

Buongiorno to everbody!
I'm new here, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Antonio, I'm from Italy but I temporary live in Wichita Falls TX.
I Had different bikes, I started with a Cagiva xtra Raptor than a Benelli TNT and than a 2013 BMW r1200GS...
in 2014 I moved here and I took a Rnine T and now I'm curious about the RT.
I was thinking about trade in my NineT for the RT.
I know may of you would really recommend thatberight?

Paggers

Re: future owner (maybe)

Post by Paggers »

Hi Antonio, and welcome to the forum.

I also owned a 2013 R1200 GS, that was my last bike before moving over to the RT in December last year. Although you would think the bikes are very similar, they are actually surprisingly different. The RT has a much better onboard computer, the engine is tuned slightly differently so it is far more comfortable at cruising speed, and of course with the faring and screen you get almost no wind by comparison with the GS. It is a much more civilised bike. On the other hands, the GS has a much lower centre of gravity and sits higher which - for me at least - made it much more fun to throw around corners.

I have gone over to the RT because the style of riding I do mostly - sitting on the motorway (freeway) at 70 mph for an hour at a time - is far better suited to that bike. If my riding was mostly weekends, on twisty roads - especially if any of them have gravel or less than perfect surfaces - then I would have stuck with the GS.

In my view the GS is more fun but the RT is more practical. Of course a GS is not as much fun to ride as an R9T so if you are looking for a weekend machine then I would probably stick with that. But if you want a long distance cruiser that is still quite a lot of fun then the RT may be a good choice for you.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
yankee_978

Post by yankee_978 »

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm still not completely sure about what to do...
I would expect also for the RT a low CG since the structure and engine are almost the same... I asked for a test ride on the 19th of August, I'll let you know ;)

I'm turning 39 and I kind started liking the aerodynamic protection and the comfort. :enjoying:

Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I agree with Paggers, it really depends on what most of your riding is. I had a Honda CBF1000 which I changed for the RT because I was doing a 125mile plus commute, and got fed up checking the chain every week and refuelling twice a week. The RT is a great distance eater, commute now only 50 miles but have to disagree with Pagger on chuckability, the RT will take on twistys as 12 miles of the commute is on country lanes and two bends when speed is down to 15mph for hairpins. Admittedly this is without the panniers but carrying the high volume top box. Check the video on what you can do with one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82UJeI9M8c

thanks and regards, Ganesh
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

One factor is that GSs seem to command a higher price that an equivalent RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

davidr8 wrote: One factor is that GSs seem to command a higher price that an equivalent RT.

Don't think that is the case in Europe, but maybe North America is different.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

To be clear, I'm not saying that you can't chuck an RT about, just that it's not as 'chuckable' as a GS. The RT has a lot more top weight, it's lower, the front wheel is a different size, the engine is different - there are a lot of differences that go into making the two bikes feel very different. My experience was that the GS is a bit more 'raw' while the RT is more 'relaxed'. It Of course the RT can hustle along a windy road, just like a GS can go touring, but the riding experience of both is not the same.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
davidr8
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

Casbar wrote:
Don't think that is the case in Europe, but maybe North America is different.
Perhaps. There's a GS and an RT at my local dealer both 2009 models with similar mileage.
The GS is $12,499
The RT is $10,900

The GS has Jesse bags which may be part of the higher price though in truth I think it's the cachet of the GS.

There's more demand for the GS as it's the 'cool' bike, gives instant credibility whereas the RT is the quiet type at a party.
I've ridden both and given a choice I'm hard pressed to make a decision.

yankee_978

Post by yankee_978 »

probably the GS keep more the value because is more requested...

In what are the 2 engines  (GS and RT) different? electronics or also mechanics?
davidr8
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

yankee_978 wrote: probably the GS keep more the value because is more requested...

In what are the 2 engines  (GS and RT) different? electronics or also mechanics?
Yup exactly my point; consumer demand for the GS means premium pricing

I believe that within the same model year they are the same engine. I think the GS has a lower first gear ratio however.

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

yankee_978 wrote: In what are the 2 engines  (GS and RT) different? electronics or also mechanics?
I can't remember the specific details but the RT engine has different internals to the GS. This makes for a smoother ride with less vibration which was one of the selling points for me - I found the GS was not terribly comfortable for long periods at 70 mph in top gear; too much vibration. The power delivery also feels quite different, to me at least - I'm not sure I can explain that other than to say that at wide throttle my GS felt like it was trying to throw me off the back whereas my RT doesn't have quite that same kick. Having said that, my GS had done 16k when I bought it whereas my RT has still only done 7k miles so not really run in yet - I also never rode either bike in Dynamic, I'm a 'road' mode rider and I suspect a lot of the difference in response is down to how they have configured the modes for the two bikes rather than the engine itself. So an engine map would probably transform either bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

davidr8 wrote: Yup exactly my point; consumer demand for the GS means premium pricing

I believe that within the same model year they are the same engine. I think the GS has a lower first gear ratio however.

Sorry guys, I wasn't thinking about the older models, I was talking about 2014 on and LC engined bikes. But as I said in Europe I don't think there is a premium for GS above RT on the used or new market  8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I came from the other direction to my 2016 RT - from a K1300GT.  Much prefer the RT.  It is much easier to ride at low speed (lower c of g) and high speed (doesn't try to pull you arms off).  The GT was a really awesome bike, but it felt like you were constantly needing to  rein it in.  To be honest I only notice the lack of grunt at the top end, when you'd already be going too fast.  The RT just seems easier to live with, covers the ground just as fast in the real world, and I don't feel tired after long trips.  For example, I did the English National Road Rally a few weeks back.  By the time I got home more than 700 miles had been done in less than 21 hours (including a few stops).  Despite being in my 7th decade nothing hurt!  Well, maybe the backside was a little tender.

Fantastic bike.  If only it had a satnav lock for fuel / coffee/ tea stops (you wait, that'll bring them out of the woodwork... :)  )
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

I've been looking at pros and cons from the K1300GT, R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R ... looks like the R1200RT would exceed my expectations .... :-)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

If, as your name suggests, you are coming to the R1200 from an F800 then you are in for a blast. That's the route I took. I was a happy owner of a 2008 F800 ST, until I took out an R1200 GS as a loaner while my F800 was being serviced. I had always assumed that the R1200 would feel big and ungainly but I was astounded at how agile it was. I didn't feel intimidating in anyway way, and so much more power than the F800! Of course the R1200 is a bigger and heavier bike, but that's something you get used to very quickly.

I exchanged by F800 ST for a brand new 2010 R1200 GS and later moved on to a water-cooled 2013 R1200 GS. I finally moved over to the RT late last year because I needed more weather protection for commuting.

Ironically I rode an F700 GS as a loan bike last weekend and it was an interesting experience going back after 7 years on a bigger bike. If you are interested there is a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjbzZ6ssAk that will give you the view in the other direction - of an R1200 rider on an F700. Not quite your bike, but close.

You need to decide what you want to do with the bike - I'm actually thinking about getting an F800 as a second bike for weekend fun. But I can certainly recommend the RT if you want to move up to a bigger bike.