2017 OBD-II Port

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
_tim_

2017 OBD-II Port

Post by _tim_ »

Does anyone know where they've moved the OBD-II port to on the '2017 bikes, now that it's a standard OBD port and not the old round 10 pin plug?
Paggers

Re: 2017 OBD-II Port

Post by Paggers »

Well my 2017MY bike still has the old style round diagnostic plug - it sits under the rear seat right at the back. Whether the protocol behind it is now OBD-II or not I couldn't say.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Nope  its still the round one under the pillion seat

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I use a phone-based OBD-II app for my BMW car called "Carly". They provide a custom OBD-II WiFi adaptor that allows me to code the car. I did notice that they have just brought out an adaptor that allows their software to be used on BMW motorcycles with the round connector. That makes me think that they might have indeed upgraded the bike to OBD-II, but just retained the round connector.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
LAF

Post by LAF »

I have not seen one but I have read you need a 30 dollar cable to use the HexScan which at this point does not work on the 17's yet.  As far as I was told it is in the same place as the older RT, right below the battery.

I use Torque Pro on my phone for my cars OBD II so it would be nice if you can use it on the new bikes. 

Not sure what functions you may be able to perform on a OBD II equipped RT but you can bet BMW will make it as few as it can to keep you in their service bays.
_tim_

Post by _tim_ »

Paggers wrote: Well my 2017MY bike still has the old style round diagnostic plug - it sits under the rear seat right at the back. Whether the protocol behind it is now OBD-II or not I couldn't say.

That's not the diagnostic port. MY17 bikes were required to meet some EU regulation about diagnostics and have changed to the standard automotive OBD-II connector. It's tucked away next to the battery under the right hand side panel, you need to unclip it, then remove a cap to access it.  I asked BMW in the end and they told me where it was.

Here's a pic.

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Interesting, will definitely take a look. This being my third BMW I am certain that what is under the seat is the familiar round diagnostics port. It's possible that they have fitted a 'square' OBD-II port as an additional interface, perhaps leaving the old style in in place so they don't have to change their diagnostic equipment.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I though the round plug under the passenger seat was for top-box electrics.  I still had a round plug on my '14 down by the battery and I assumed this was the diagnostic plug?  I'll need to check out my new bike and see what is where...

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

_tim_ wrote:
That's not the diagnostic port. MY17 bikes were required to meet some EU regulation about diagnostics and have changed to the standard automotive OBD-II connector. It's tucked away next to the battery under the right hand side panel, you need to unclip it, then remove a cap to access it.  I asked BMW in the end and they told me where it was.

/quote]

Interesting  I will have a look later
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

The canbus network on your bike has several places that you connect into, the round plug is one, the TPMS sensor plug is another, and also the OBD port. Canbus (SAE J2480) is the protocol, and OBDII is the specification for the plug style.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thought BMW were using Linbus, as this is a cheaper solution!
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote: Thought BMW were using Linbus, as this is a cheaper solution!
Nope, it's CANBus.  Learned a lot about this (more than I cared to know) when I had to buy a CANOpener module from Clearwater lights to make the brake light work for my top case.

Also, does BMW *EVER* do the cheaper solution?!?  ;)
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

timminator wrote: Nope, it's CANBus.  Learned a lot about this (more than I cared to know) when I had to buy a CANOpener module from Clearwater lights to make the brake light work for my top case.

Also, does BMW *EVER* do the cheaper solution?!?  ;)

Seem to be a lot of Lin Bus parts for sale then for the 2015 BMW RT - http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/p/BMW_2015_R-1200-RT/Combination-switch-right/49476795/61318546186.html

In fact just found this on the net from another BMW forum - [size=12px]The new 2014/2015 1200RT's use the new Lin-Bus system (new protocol)[/size]
Last edited by Casbar on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maybe they use both:

The use of CAN bus (Controller Area Network) and LIN bus technology (Local Interconnect Network) enables significantly reduced wiring as compared to a conventional system. This also reduces potential error sources as may occur in conventional vehicle electrical systems due to the quantity of wiring and numerous plug connectors - a key factor in ensuring all-round reliability.

:)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote: Maybe they use both:

The use of CAN bus (Controller Area Network) and LIN bus technology (Local Interconnect Network) enables significantly reduced wiring as compared to a conventional system. This also reduces potential error sources as may occur in conventional vehicle electrical systems due to the quantity of wiring and numerous plug connectors - a key factor in ensuring all-round reliability.

:)
I think you are right, both. CAN is the main bus that allows the computer to talk to the primary components. LIN is a sub bus that allows components to talk to sub components.
BMW MOA #210438