Full TFT dash

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardofyorks

Full TFT dash

Post by richardofyorks »

BMW are rolling this out as an option starting with the R1200GS and GS Adventure. In terms of clarity and comprehensive information available at a glance it looks a big step forward. On the GS configurator it costs £595. The UK Motorrad website says other models "will follow". Does anyone know if and when it might be available on the RT?
guest2360

Re: Full TFT dash

Post by guest2360 »

Got a funny idea the RT already is.
richardofyorks

Post by richardofyorks »

RTman10 wrote: Got a funny idea the RT already is.
The 'computer' part is but the new optional one is completely tft with no analogue dials and a bar graph tachometer with digital speedo.
richardofyorks

Post by richardofyorks »

See photo
Attachments
IMG_1316.JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

But it's still tft .  Probably done away with the round dials because of space.  Think you I'll find the dials on the RT are still  When you look at the current GS dash it's very old hat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

richardofyorks wrote: BMW are rolling this out as an option starting with the R1200GS and GS Adventure. In terms of clarity and comprehensive information available at a glance it looks a big step forward. On the GS configurator it costs £595. The UK Motorrad website says other models "will follow". Does anyone know if and when it might be available on the RT?
In the past the RT has been about 12-18 months behind the GS on big changes e.g. 1200 engine, going water cooled etc.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
richardofyorks

Post by richardofyorks »

Are the dials on the current RT tft as well as the info section in the middle?
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

WTF is TFT?  IDHAFC!  ???
Chris
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Casbar wrote: Thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display
That clears it up then thanks. SDHAFC! but I don't suppose it matters much in the big scheme.
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

TJRL wrote: In the past the RT has been about 12-18 months behind the GS on big changes e.g. 1200 engine, going water cooled etc.

They seem to use the GS to get things right,ish before using them on any RT.  As for the dash that was stolen directly from the 2011 k1600.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

k9doc wrote: That clears it up then thanks. SDHAFC! but I don't suppose it matters much in the big scheme.

So its basically a full digital display, which should allow you to make changes to the views, like the middle bit currently on the RT dash. Difference there is no moving bits, like hands for the the speedo and rev counter, so if you did have hands on a TFT display, they would be electronic and not moving parts.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Casbar wrote:
So its basically a full digital display, which should allow you to make changes to the views, like the middle bit currently on the RT dash. Difference there is no moving bits, like hands for the the speedo and rev counter, so if you did have hands on a TFT display, they would be electronic and not moving parts.
Ah, now I get it, I think. Thanks for taking the trouble to explain. Just about getting to grips with the difference between analogue and digital.
Chris
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I like analogue clocks - but then I'm probably just stuck in my ways.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
panaray

Post by panaray »

I have a TFT display on one of my other bikes. The main benefits are:
-Use under bright conditions (The LCD display can be hard to read when it's covered under the shadow of the dash)
-Changes to colors under different ambient lighting conditions (e.g. Dark background at night, bright white during daytime)
-Just looks more modern, IMO.
I agree that for RPM, analog is better. However for speed, I like to see the numbers. It's a personal preference in the end.
If it's anything like cars, they could make it configurable for different views, which could include a virtual analog display. Here's what Audi does with their virtual cockpit
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/tec ... plays-7181

How fancy they decide to take the display technology is really up to how much graphics processor (the computer that controls the display) they wish to spend. They can be tens of dollars per IC for the even the modest versions. For bikes, amortizing the development cost of HW and SW may be the bigger impediment (due to modest production volume)

I suspect that TFT display on my Ducati is limited to just day/night mode due to the latter.
Last edited by panaray on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.