Remus headers

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Remus headers

Post by slowvet »

So I have an opportunity to buy a mildly used Remus headers for my '11 rt for a very reasonable price. My question is, have any of you used Remus before? Would you reccomend them? Headers only, as I understand they will bolt right up to the stock exaust.
Paggers

Re: Remus headers

Post by Paggers »

I will be interested in your experience, should you decide to fit them, as I have ordered a Remus slip-on and am considering the headers further down the road. I don't know about the earlier bikes, but the common wisdom seems to be that if I have the headers replaced on my LC bike - thus losing the cat and noise flap - then I will need to have the engine remapped to avoid it running too lean.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I fitted a full Remus system to my first RT (2007 model).
Saved weight, looked nice, sounded nice (but too loud for me with the baffle out).
There was no exhaust valve to worry about then, so I don't know how relevant this is for slowvet.
Like Paggers, I would love to hear of anyone fitting Remus headers to the latest RT.
Does the engine feel the same ? Does it really need to be re-mapped ?  What do you have to do with the exhaust valve gubbins ?  Will I be excommunicated by my BMW dealer for even thinking of such a thing ?  😳 😄
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I fitted a full Remus system to my first RT (2007 model).
Saved weight, looked nice, sounded nice (but too loud for me with the baffle out).
There was no exhaust valve to worry about then, so I don't know how relevant this is for slowvet.
Like Paggers, I would love to hear of anyone fitting Remus headers to the latest RT.
Does the engine feel the same ? Does it really need to be re-mapped ?  What do you have to do with the exhaust valve gubbins ?  Will I be excommunicated by my BMW dealer for even thinking of such a thing ?  😳 😄

I spoke to Hillhead when I was considering fitting the Remus pipes, when I was going to get rid of the flap. Their view and my experience from fitting various stage kits to Harleys is, yes, if you fit new headers you should go for a remap, you are removing the cat and will change the exhaust back pressure. If you only fit an end can, then the ECU will cope. There is a thread running on UKGSER about fitting Remus to a GS, apparently you have to buy something to sort the servo for the flap out, or a soft fault code will show if no servo connected, now whether that is the same for the RT I don't know, but again, phone Hilltop, they will be able to advise.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

gogs01 wrote: Will I be excommunicated by my BMW dealer for even thinking of such a thing ?  😳 😄
I'm planning to wait until the main warranty period is over before I look at new headers. The Remus back-box can be swapped back over before taking the bike in for services and I don't want to give BMW any excuse for weaseling out of a warranty claim. Once my two years are up - by which point the bike will likely have done at least 24k miles - I'll probably be moving onto the extended warranty and less worried about BMW's views on my exhaust system.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Paggers wrote: I'm planning to wait until the main warranty period is over before I look at new headers. The Remus back-box can be swapped back over before taking the bike in for services and I don't want to give BMW any excuse for weaseling out of a warranty claim. Once my two years are up - by which point the bike will likely have done at least 24k miles - I'll probably be moving onto the extended warranty and less worried about BMW's views on my exhaust system.

Sounds like a plan. I have a little longer to go - I look forward to seeing how you get on with the swap.
I like the idea of getting rid of some weight, a catalytic converter and a potentially problematic exhaust valve, but if it were to mean losing drivability or fuel economy it would be a non-starter for me.....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE