Heated seat working?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GvG

Heated seat working?

Post by GvG »

I have a R1200RT LC '17, and for the first time in 2 months I tried the heated seat today (max. temp.), but I don't feel much heat on my bottom :wonder:
I had it on for about 10 minutes, and it was about 25C degrees outside...... Is this normal?
Paggers

Re: Heated seat working?

Post by Paggers »

I can't say I have ever tried to put the heated seat on when it was 25C outside so I'm not sure if you would notice or not but at all 5 bars I would have expected you to feel something, it's pretty violent at that level. Have you tried taking the seat off and checking that the cable is connected? I have had a couple of 'senior moments' when I forgot to reconnect the heating element in the seat after doing some tinkering. Perhaps you, or someone at the dealer, have left it disconnected?

Although it's unlikely to be related I did have one occasion where when I turned the heated seat off it was most definitely not off. It was showing as off on the computer but burning my backside off. I fixed that by turning it back 'on' via the computer then off again, which seemed to reset it. So as an outside possibility you could try turning it off and back on again (assuming you haven't already tried that). Of course this has only happened to me once in 7 months and 7k miles, including the cold months where I used the heated seat a lot.

I hope it proves to be something simple.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

GvG wrote: I have a R1200RT LC '17, and for the first time in 2 months I tried the heated seat today (max. temp.),but I don't feel much heat on my bottom :wonder:
I had it on for about 10 minutes, and it was about 25C degrees outside...... Is this normal?

I felt exactly the same when I  rode the demonstrator recently. I set it to maximum to see what the effect would be and felt very little change after 10 minutes. I seem to remember the heated seat on my 2006 model RT being much more effective, but I sold it many years ago and I forget.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

The rider seat on my '16 RT was replaced under warranty, high resistance apparently. However, it does not get hot just warm and that with five bars showing on the dash. Tech guy said that the seat does not work in high ambient temps. I guess also my arse (with all the layers under it) is not as sensitive as my hands because the grips are fierce whatever the ambient. I could of course test the seat wearing only my gimp suit, that would get the nets twitching ;-)

GvG

Post by GvG »

Paggers wrote: I can't say I have ever tried to put the heated seat on when it was 25C outside so I'm not sure if you would notice or not but at all 5 bars I would have expected you to feel something, it's pretty violent at that level. Have you tried taking the seat off and checking that the cable is connected? I have had a couple of 'senior moments' when I forgot to reconnect the heating element in the seat after doing some tinkering. Perhaps you, or someone at the dealer, have left it disconnected?
Although it's unlikely to be related I did have one occasion where when I turned the heated seat off it was most definitely not off. It was showing as off on the computer but burning my backside off. I fixed that by turning it back 'on' via the computer then off again, which seemed to reset it. So as an outside possibility you could try turning it off and back on again (assuming you haven't already tried that). Of course this has only happened to me once in 7 months and 7k miles, including the cold months where I used the heated seat a lot.
I hope it proves to be something simple.
Checked before and the cable is/was connected ;)
Last edited by GvG on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Caveat: I have a 2010 RT.  Just two settings.

I have found that with my over-trousers on (BMW Streetguard) it takes about 20-30 minutes to really feel the warmth coming in.

So I would imagine that 10  minutes is not really long enough.  Also with the day being warm, it will be a bit more difficult to notice the additional warmth.

Just my thoughts!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
GvG

Post by GvG »

Thanks for the replies  ;)
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

Just my 2c - it gets better over time. More you use seat heating, better it gets. On the first try my missis didn't feel any heat for the first 20-30 mins. Now it takes 5-10 for it to start working.
I don't crank my one higher than 3-4. On 5 when tried got my s...t boiling in a couple of minutes. And I mean boiling :)
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts!?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I have only used the seat on 5 bars once - riding over the Pennines in at an indicated -2C. I was very toasty.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

The stock seat on my "16" works very well, I purchased and use the low option seat now and it does not heat up as well as the stock seat
Blue 2016 R1200RT Fully Loaded