Newbie from Arizona USA

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
JBnAZ

Newbie from Arizona USA

Post by JBnAZ »

Hi all,

New to the forum, new to BMW. Bought a 2014 R1200rt with a bit over 6000 miles on it, loaded. Not new to bikes, or forums. Between dirt and street this my 18th ride, just sold my 2013 Honda F6b.

Thanks for the good info shared on the forum, already received good info. Have over 250,000 miles riding, hopefully I can add value for someone else.

Have ridden the bike a few hundred miles, enjoying the rt very much so far. Waiting on my Sargent seat, upgraded the windscreen, original owner added nice options. Solved the mobile phone blue tooth into the stereo challenge for $9, which was nice, avoided buying the version VI nav unit. Way to expensive and did not solve my mobile phone to radio input issue.

Thanks in advance for your input, stay safe, have fun.

JB
Paggers

Re: Newbie from Arizona USA

Post by Paggers »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have got yourself a nice bike. Enjoy!
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the bike, they are a lot of fun.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Hi
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Welcome to the forum.  I'm on several of these forums, and this is the best by far.  I have family in Phoenix and get down there occasionally.
BMW MOA #210438
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

Thanks for the welcome. I am spoiled living in the southwest, 8 months of great riding weather, 4 months of riding with your head in an oven!

F800GT

Post by F800GT »

Welcome and congrats !

You mind sharing the reasons why you switch from F6B to the R1200RT ?
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Hi
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

F800GT:

F6B is a wonderful bike, but it's not a sport touring bike. No matter how many cruiser or full touring bikes I've owned I still end up returning to a sport touring ride. I've had 3 sprint STs, a Concours (newest gen), and now the BMW. The flexibility of riding styles offered by the BMW combined with the variability of driving modes and suspension settings are super compelling and valuable to me. And I found a very, very nice used one with low miles for a super fair price, which made the switch even more attractive. I'm just not ready to cruise all the time, at least not yet.

The BMW is much more "flickable" if you know what I mean. More responsive to rider input and 300 pounds lighter than the Honda. I also enjoy the neutral riding position, makes me feel somehow more connected and present to the bike and the moment.

The Honda's electronic features, or lack there of, were right out of the 1980s. It had a wonderful motor and drive train, just wasn't something I liked enough to keep long term. My wife liked the Honda, very comfortable from her perspective.

I have zero regrets from owing the F6B. But I am pretty happy with the BMW, at least so far. I have a four day trip to Telluride Colodaro in early September. Can't wait to enjoy few full days of riding in southern Colorado, one of my top 5 locations to ride period.

RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

JBnAZ wrote: Thanks for the welcome. I am spoiled living in the southwest, 8 months of great riding weather, 4 months of riding with your head in an oven!

Congratulations on the new ride. I've had mine for a little over a month and love it. I can attest to the "head in an over" feeling, as I lived in beautiful AZ for a couple of years. To me, nothing beats the desert!
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

Grew up in New England but now I'm a total desert rat. I've met lots of riders from all over the world that have come to the southwest to ride. Always fun to see such enthusiasm in their faces when they're stopped taking in the views. 

Alas it was 109 degrees today, no riding for me. Maybe I will sneak out for an early morning ride this weekend......
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

JBnAZ wrote: F800GT:

F6B is a wonderful bike, but it's not a sport touring bike. No matter how many cruiser or full touring bikes I've owned I still end up returning to a sport touring ride. I've had 3 sprint STs, a Concours (newest gen),and now the BMW. The flexibility of riding styles offered by the BMW combined with the variability of driving modes and suspension settings are super compelling and valuable to me. And I found a very, very nice used one with low miles for a super fair price, which made the switch even more attractive. I'm just not ready to cruise all the time, at least not yet.

The BMW is much more "flickable" if you know what I mean. More responsive to rider input and 300 pounds lighter than the Honda. I also enjoy the neutral riding position, makes me feel somehow more connected and present to the bike and the moment.

The Honda's electronic features, or lack there of, were right out of the 1980s. It had a wonderful motor and drive train, just wasn't something I liked enough to keep long term. My wife liked the Honda, very comfortable from her perspective.

I have zero regrets from owing the F6B. But I am pretty happy with the BMW, at least so far. I have a four day trip to Telluride Colodaro in early September. Can't wait to enjoy few full days of riding in southern Colorado, one of my top 5 locations to ride period.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Base on your experience, does the windshield of your RT block too much of the needed wind in such a warm weather ?
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

When it's hot in Phoenix and the sun is beating on you, windscreen doesn't make that much of a difference. Even the "breeze" with no windscreen will cook you. Think of those hot air only popcorn makers from the 1990s.

I bought a slightly larger windscreen for the RT, I found the stock screen caused buffeting for me.

F800GT

Post by F800GT »

JBnAZ wrote: Even the "breeze" with no windscreen will cook you.
LOL !!  8)