raise the front of the rider seat??????

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
skiski111

raise the front of the rider seat??????

Post by skiski111 »

Hi all.
i hope this is in the right section but if not ill take my telling off and repost if someone lets me know.
i am eagerly awaiting my new (to me) 2015 RT which is hopefully coming this week after dealer gets service done. i fell in love with the bike and am trading in my beloved and trustworthy 2009 K1300S against it. the only problem i found on the test ride was i felt i was being pushed slightly forward in the seat. the studs at the rear were in their lowest position and the front was in the high position but i feel this might not be enough for me. Do any of you peeps know of a solution without going to the expense of a custom seat (sergent etc etc) it looks, on quick inspection that it might be possible to raise the front seat assembly by putting a washer or two under it thus lowering the rear. any help would be appreciated if anyone has had similar issue. i have an airhawk but was hoping this beast might not require it.
thanks in advance
ski
gogs01

Re: raise the front of the rider seat??????

Post by gogs01 »

I bought my bike (2017MY) with the high seat. I'm barely 5'11" with an inside leg measurement somewhere between 31" & 32" and I can have my seat in the high position and still get my feet pretty well flat on the ground. That gives me the most comfortable position on the bike, but I don't like to see the gap between the base of the seat and the side panel.
I'm in the process of buying a used seat with the intention of getting it re-upholstered. When I had this done for my previous bike (the last of the air-cooled models) I had the seat made slightly flatter, with the front slightly higher than the rear, and the whole thing raised to finish up 20mm higher. That made a significant difference to comfort for me.
I'm sure lots of upholsterers could do it but I used these people : http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite- ... seats.html
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have read of people putting a couple of washers under the front seat clamp bolts. That is enough to raise the front of the seat
skiski111

Post by skiski111 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will probably try the washers first but will check out upholsterers just in case. Cheers.