Dashcam position

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Szibar

Dashcam position

Post by Szibar »

Hi,
Could you, please, share pics of your cam install? Or at least give me some pointers. Can't find any decent place for it behind the windshield.
Thanks!
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts!?
bikerdog
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LC
Great Britain

Re: Dashcam position

Post by bikerdog »

Having the same issue myself. Some of the photos I've seen have them mounted under the headlamp.
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

bikerdog wrote: Having the same issue myself. Some of the photos I've seen have them mounted under the headlamp.
No good :( Has to be behind the windshield. Tried mounting on the outside - had to constantly clean squashed bugs off its lens.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Perhaps you ride through more "bugs" than me.
I have my drift fitted under the headlight and other times on my helmet. Never had a serious problem with bugs.
I wasn't happy with the camera "looking" through the screen, just a personal preference.
^-^
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

I only need it as a dashcam, not as an action cam. Say my car one saved a guy's bacon, he hit a pedestrian when she was running the red light and, providing my dashcam record as an evidence, he was able to come out clean. So windshield is not an issue. As for bug... you should see my helmet after a 2 hour ride. It's like I've got my own private cemetery with me :) Bloody insect mass grave :)
Anybody? I've ordered a couple of mounts, waiting for them to arrive. But would welcome suggestions.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

This is where the cameras are mounted on my bike. I don't have any problems with bugs - even when the front of the bike is covered with them so far I haven't had one obscure the camera. Maybe I have just been lucky. It's also part of my routine to give the lenses a quick wipe before each ride.

I think you may struggle to fit a camera behind the shield. I was recently trying to find a location to install a GoPro and in the end the only place I could find to mount it was on the l/h mirror housing! That wouldn't be any better for your dashcam as again it's outside of the shield.

2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

Thanks a mill, mate! Your ones are prolly clean cause they are both down low. My dashcam is GoPro style, won't fit there. Bummer.
But I think I've got it. I found a RAM mount and a 5" RAM arm in one of my drawers :). That way I can have a negative angle bend and it should fit behind the windshield.
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

Gonna post my setup after it's installed on the bike. Just to give an idea for other people who might be in the same situation.

Update: was a no-go. Even with that RAM mount it did not fit. Have to rethink the setup. Darn it!
Last edited by Szibar on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

How about this on my 2014 RT LC. I will update this post when I can remember where I got all the bits from, but the majority is RAMount. The QR platform is a bit of overkill.

UPDATE

Parts

Wunderlich - MultiPod fastening Part No. 41070-000 - Replaces handle bar bolt either left to right hand side

RAM Mount - MIRROR MOUNT 9MM HOLE WITH 1" BALL. Part Number: RAM-B-272 - Allows the RAM Mount arm to be angled over the hand grip
RAM Mount - DOUBLE SOCKET ARM FOR 1" BALL Part Number: RAM-B-201 or
RAM Mount - DOUBLE SOCKET SHORT ARM FOR 1" BALL Part Number: RAM-B-201-A - Depending on how high you need to mount the camera.
RAM Mount - 1" Ball to mounting of your choice
Attachments
IMG_20170817_172801239.jpg
IMG_20170817_172747361.jpg
Last edited by tda2806 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

tda2806 wrote: How about this on my 2014 RT LC. I will update this post when I can remember where I got all the bits from, but the majority is RAMount. The QR platform is a bit of overkill.
That actually looks like something what would work in my scenario. Thanks mate!
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, I used this set up on mine. It's mounted on to the sat-nav bar and works pretty well so long as I keep the windshield clean. Only problem is at certain angle there is a bit of reflection from the windshield.
Attachments
20170906_180008[1].jpg
thanks and regards, Ganesh
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Hello,
There are motorcycle [size=2px]dual camera version motorcycle cameras with varying camera resolutions and angles.[/size]

If cameras are installed for safety reason (usually small non-HD camera) to capture incidents,
we (as a seller) recommend, for front, under the head light and for back, under the tail light like Paggers'.

If cameras are installed to capture images, in-addition to safety, with HD cameras,
we recommend, higher positions like tda2806 and Ganesh.
[size=78%]Regards  Richard![/size]
dengieken

Post by dengieken »

Here are some photos of my camera mounting. It is behind the screen on the RH side. I have fitted a vertical tubular anti vibration mount to stabilise the camera.
It works well but if I have the windscreen set very high the screen mount obscures part of the camera image.
My camera is a Firefly7S. The built in image stabilisation works well.
Attachments
EFF1D3F1-8E4E-4F29-8A64-D45212F58E34.jpeg
70A836F5-4F5E-4204-89A4-8014BE69CAB3.jpeg
0BCA1932-0253-4F38-8328-F6C6B73F646A.jpeg
D167B12C-AAA9-43EC-A76B-65D92587CBC1.jpeg
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

End of the handle bar does it for me.
Easy access to turn it on and off.
Can view a sample on you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaj0IAP3qUc&t=64s
Attachments
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
Szibar

Post by Szibar »

Thanks! Still haven’t solved the dilemma. :(
Work in progress :)