Gear shift assist operation

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

Re: Gear shift assist operation

Post by Methos1979 »

I'm one that did not think I'd like or use it much but I've come to really like it. Like many, I find it's best shifting up from 3rd gear on. Downshifting is best all the way down to 2nd gear.

After a year of ownership, here are my findings for best use:

Upshift: Manual shift up to 3rd. From third on I find best results with middle acceleration (not too hard pull, not too little) with RPM's 3.5k and up. I pre-load the shifter for a second then give a light but firm 'flick' up. Done this way the upshift is so smooth as to be nearly unnoticeable. Shifting at higher revs or with hard acceleration does work but is not quite as smooth. If you're 'tentative' or slow with your upshift you can get a little bit of a lag effect for want of a better term.

Downshift: Decelerating with throttle full closed, usually down around 2.5 to 3k, pre-load the shift down for a second then again a firm press downward. Less of a quick flick like on the upshift and more of a firm and steady press. The blips the throttle and shifts down nicely all the way down to second gear.

Sounds more complicated than it is. These are just my findings based solely on feel. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain how my detailed attempt to be helpful is surely an example of the shortcomings of the system based on 'something' they read 'somewhere'...
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I note that there has been no further (ie second) post from [email protected] . 
I wonder if he has read this thread and found it useful (or not).
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

gogs01 wrote: I note that there has been no further (ie second) post from [email protected] . 
I wonder if he has read this thread and found it useful (or not).

Think he's probably totally lost the plot and gone off and bought a Triumph.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: Think he's probably totally lost the plot and gone off and bought a Triumph.
Or a Honda with a DCT gearbox ??  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Or even a Can Am with a proper semi auto box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Builder

Post by Builder »

My Experience has  been exactly the same as Methos 1979.
I really like it, from 3rd on up extremely smooth and all the way down if the throttle is closed.
I will use it from 1st to second but I will shift around 3k rpm's vs around 3.8k - 4k for the higher gears.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

I am surprised it isn't mentioned more often in this thread - the KEY to smooth usage of the shit assist feature.  PRE-LOADING the shifter is the key to using this system correctly.

BMW goes as far as specifically detailing this in the riders manual.  You MUST preload the shift.  You slightly move the shifter up or down thus engaging the system otherwise the bike doesn't know you are about to shift and the shift assist system doesn't work.  I can use shift assist at any rpm as long as I pre-load the shift.

From the manual >>

In order for the system to identify a request for a gearshift, the rider MUST move the shift lever from its idle position in the desired direction against the force of the
spring through a certain "over travel" at ordinary speed or rapidly and keep the shift lever in this position until the gearshift is completed.
Last edited by DBLXX on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I read that as firmly press or lift the lever when you want to change gear.  I never found pre loading necessary to change smoothly.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

RTman10 wrote: I read that as firmly press or lift the lever when you want to change gear.  I never found pre loading necessary to change smoothly.

That's not the definition of "pre-load the shifter" and they also speak to taking up the slack between the travel and the shift.  This tells the bike to activate the shift assist system.  Without that indicator you are basically clutchless shifting without using the mechanism that is there to assist with the shift.  I have watched a video of both just firmly shifting and preloading the shifter.  One actually activated the mechanism and the other does nothing.

Preloading the shifter is performing the same action as pulling in the clutch.  So without that action... you would just be doing the same thing as shifting without using the clutch in a bike that does not have shift assist. 

But glad it works for you.

DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

This link took me to a clip of someone changing up and down on a GS on the centre stand. No commentary, no evidence of a quickshifter.
Where does this idea of "pre-load" come from ? If it's the rider's manual, your manual is different to mine. My manual says :
"move the shift lever from it's idle position in the desired direction against the force of the spring through a certain overtravel at ordinary speed or rapidly and keep the shift lever in this position until the gearshift is completed"
Pre-load works with "manual" gearboxes but doesn't seem to have any relevance to shift assistant pro - or am I wrong ??....
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

gogs01 wrote: This link took me to a clip of someone changing up and down on a GS on the centre stand. No commentary, no evidence of a quickshifter.
Where does this idea of "pre-load" come from ? If it's the rider's manual, your manual is different to mine. My manual says :
"move the shift lever from it's idle position in the desired direction against the force of the spring through a certain overtravel at ordinary speed or rapidly and keep the shift lever in this position until the gearshift is completed"
Pre-load works with "manual" gearboxes but doesn't seem to have any relevance to shift assistant pro - or am I wrong ??....

No you're not wrong.  As you know you can change gear with it as quick as you can stamp or lift the lever.  If it was recommended that you pre loaded it every time you might as well just use the clutch lever.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

gogs01 wrote: This link took me to a clip of someone changing up and down on a GS on the centre stand. No commentary, no evidence of a quickshifter.

I took my quote directly out of my US book.  Yes, it has relevance.  What the video was showing you was the amount of "travel" the gear shifter has before it shifts.  Where you book says "move the shift lever from it's idle position in the desired direction against the force of the spring through a certain overtravel" this is telling you that the space between when you begin to move the shifter and when it actually engages and shifts is the "overtravel" and the time when the bike electronically engages the clutch giving you the OK to shift without the clunk.[/font]
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

My US Manual clearly states >>> [size=2px]In order for the system to identify [/size][size=2px]a request for a gearshift[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
To me that indicates that if you don't preload the shifter the bike is not ready for a gear shift this the clunk some people experience.  No different that trying to up or down shift with a bike that doesn't have shift assist.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

This might explain it more clearly.

[size=16px]The gear shift pro is both software and hardware. Essentially it is computer controlled but must make changes within the gearbox and clutch to work.  [/size][size=16px]On the up shift pressure on the gear pedal disengages the clutch and momentarily closes power to allow a gear change. [/size]