R1200 RT - Wheel Bearing Removal

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
chopper_harris
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2005
Great Britain

R1200 RT - Wheel Bearing Removal

Post by chopper_harris »

I picked up a cheap, high mileage R1200RT a few years ago, and have started to strip it down for an overhaul.

There was a lot of corrosion on the subframe, and the wheels were badly chipped and corroded.

Despite best efforts with a gas torch and sharp chisel, I couldn't pick up an edge on either front wheel bearing, so time for the trusty Rawlbolt method.
The older readers may have seen this before, but it may be helpful for our younger members :

Take one Rawlbolt - in this case it's an M16 bolt, 25mm O/D and shaft length 35mm - it needed lightly dressing with an angle grinder to fit the 25mm I/D wheel bearing.

Mark a line at 20mm, this is the working depth to ensure a firm bite on the wheel bearing.
Crank up the Rawlbolt as tight as you can.

Apply a generous amount of heat from a gas torch (An electric paint stripping gun will work, but takes forever)
Take an old 11/16 socket on 6" extension, and tap the Rawlbolt until the bearing is free - It doesn't take brute force.
It is likely the spacer will come away at the same time, else remove by hand..

You can then invert the wheel, heat as before, and use a 32mm socket to drive out the other bearing.

In this case you can see the corrosion on the bearing faces.

[size=3px]The method should be applicable to the entire R series and later K bikes, which I believe use a 25mm wheel spindle.[/size][size=3px]

I have a several spare M16/25mm Rawlbolts if anyone wishes to try this at home !

Levisp

Re: R1200 RT - Wheel Bearing Removal

Post by Levisp »

Neat trick. Thanks for posting.