Programming Key Fob, keyless ride

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Programming Key Fob, keyless ride

Post by austavla »

Hi
Here is what I had to do when programming the Key fob.
1. Remove the windscreen.
2. Remove the Cover for windsreen adjuster, and locate the Ring antenna.
3. Put the Key fob in the middle of the Ring antenna and push the ignition button. When the igition come on, the Key fob is programmed.
Attachments
DSC_3109.JPG
DSC_3108.JPG
DSC_3107.JPG
Last edited by austavla on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
gogs01

Re: Programming Key Fob, keyless ride

Post by gogs01 »

austavla wrote: Hi
Here is what I had to do when programming the Key fob.
1. Remove the windscreen.
2. Remove the Cover for windsreen adjuster, and locate the Ring antenna.
3. Put the Key fob in the middle of the Ring antenna and push the ignition button. When the igition come on, the Key fob is programmed.
Under what circumstance does this become necessary ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
grisopaul

Post by grisopaul »

Maybe a new battery?

Sent from my phone
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Something not right here.  Firstly there are no batteries involved with a chipped key.  Secondly what  type of security is it when all you have to do is undo a couple of bits to overcome it.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: Something not right here. Firstly there are no batteries involved with a chipped key. Secondly what type of security is it when all you have to do is undo a couple of bits to overcome it.
And why do these things appear in a first post ??.....  I look forward to austavia's next post.
julianq

Post by julianq »

Does ring (3) come with bike or dealer plug in? Hope so or brilliant theft device? Actually not what needs to be discussed on here is it. Chain and padlock I guess folks.

JQ 2007 R1200RT
austavla
Norway

Post by austavla »

gogs01 wrote: Under what circumstance does this become necessary ?

I purchased a 2015 R1200RT, and the key fob had a broken key. Therefor I got a new keyfob, and that wasn't programmed for my bike.
Attachments
DSC_2931.JPG
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
austavla
Norway

Post by austavla »

julianq wrote: Does ring (3) come with bike or dealer plug in? Hope so or brilliant theft device? Actually not what needs to be discussed on here is it. Chain and padlock I guess folks.

To get a new Keyfob from BMW, you have to have certificate of title and id to prove that you are the owner of the motorbike.
Last edited by austavla on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

somewhere on youtube there is an easy way to program a second keyfob that does not require removal of the windscreen.

I bought a second one (yes you have to provide your reg and license to the dealer) and it was a simple set of steps to program it.  I did it so long ago I forget the procedure and I didn't bookmark the link.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My replacement emergency key came pre-programmed.
I would expect a replacement key fob to come pre-programmed too.  If it's not pre-programmed, the need for proof of ID / ownership seems a little pointless since I would be able to order a key for "my" bike then pair it with any keyless RT.  Just doesn't make sense to me.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

When I took my bike in for service last year, they damaged my key.  They provided a new one, said it MAY be programmed, never was.  It’s still in the packaging needing to be.  I can always take the two, bike and key to get them done, but can’t be bothered, original key works fine, slight bend.  I’ve tried several times to YouTube videos etc to get it done, 17 RT.  I guess next time I’m in fir service I’ll get it done or sell they key on the black market.  (j/k).

How long did it take to undo the plastics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I solved the bent/broken key issue(really poor design by the way)
Had my dealer order a non chipped key from factory, I use it for seat removal as that’s were most keys get broken. In fact a length of clear tape holds the fob key from opening
Jim
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gogs01 wrote: And why do these things appear in a first post ??.....  I look forward to austavia's next post.

It might be his first post in the English section of this forum, but certainly not in the Norwegian section of the forum. Austavla has helped me in the past.

Hope this helps......

John
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

I was able to program my new fob without completely removing the windscreen adjuster.  Just removing the two screws at the top of it allowed it to move upwards enough for me to get the fob close enough to the ring for it to program. 

In the second diagram that Austavia provided, they're screws #1. 
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

beemerboy9 wrote: .....Austavla has helped me in the past.....Hope this helps......

Yes it does  -  Thanks !  ;)