Speedo needle

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac77

Speedo needle

Post by Mac77 »

hi all, just turned on my ignition and my speedo needle has dropped down below the 0 and hasn't come back up? The needle moves with speed, but is obviously now grossly out. Any ideas why and how to fix?
Attachments
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Speedo needle

Post by exportman »

Honestly office my speedo only said I was doing 20    :alas:
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Update - So I went to the ever so helpful (not!) Bahnstormer at Alton, who reckon the needle has come loose, so to pull it off and glue it back on. I need to order a new speedo cover, so I'll do it then when I replace it. Hopefully it works 👍
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Mac77 wrote: Update - So I went to the ever so helpful (not!) Bahnstormer at Alton, who reckon the needle has come loose, so to pull it off and glue it back on. I need to order a new speedo cover, so I'll do it then when I replace it. Hopefully it works 👍
I would be a bit worried about potential miss-calibration with just gluing it back on. How do you know you have glued it in the right place? The fact that the needle can move back beyond the stop seems to suggest that there is some free play there.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As it still moves I can't see that it's just come loose.  More likely to be the drive mechanismn inside.  Not fixable with a spot of glue I suspect.

Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks guys. I'll pull the cover this weekend and have a look. I suspect it may be a new unit.