Navigator V >Trip Planner > Select Next Destination

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Navigator V >Trip Planner > Select Next Destination

Post by blastfurnace »

I have a Navigator V and all software and maps are up to date.  I have used BaseCamp to create a route and transferred it to my device.  When I open the trip planner and select this route, it always asks me to "Select Next Destination".  I do this, but no matter what point I chose, it directs me to that point and stops navigation, ignoring my route completely.  I am pretty familiar with BaseCamp and am pretty sure I am transferring correctly.  I'm at a loss after scouring forums all day.  Can anyone here help?

steve perrett

Re: Navigator V >Trip Planner > Select Next Destination

Post by steve perrett »

Hi RT owners, I have a 2017 RT with the Nav6, I have a couple of problems, 1, it does not remember the max speed, after turning the bike off then on again it will remember for about 10-15 minutes, then you turn it on again and it says max speed 0.
the other problem when I get a call it says you have a call but I cannot answer it, anybody else having this problem?  email  [email protected]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blastfurnace wrote: I have a Navigator V and all software and maps are up to date.  I have used BaseCamp to create a route and transferred it to my device.  When I open the trip planner and select this route, it always asks me to "Select Next Destination".  I do this, but no matter what point I chose, it directs me to that point and stops navigation, ignoring my route completely.  I am pretty familiar with BaseCamp and am pretty sure I am transferring correctly.  I'm at a loss after scouring forums all day.  Can anyone here help?

There is a lot of Basecamp experience on www.ukgser.com and www.zumoforums.com
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I suspect this is caused by a misunderstanding of alerting - I come across it all the time. In the image below you can see a simple route in BaseCamp with three waypoints. You will note that next to the second waypoint is the text "(won't alert)". This is what BaseCamp refers to as a 'shaping point' and when you are riding, once you get close to that point, the Navigator will automatically switch to the next point without any interruption.

The problem is that when you add a waypoint to a route BaseCamp generally assumes that you want to stop there. If you don't know how to fix that then it's a real pain. This can be fixed by right-clicking on the specific waypoint in the route view (below). You will see an option to set the waypoint to not alert (shaping point). Once you have changed all the relevant points, upload the route into your Nav (don't forget to delete the old route first) and you should be good to go.

You will now find that when you are given the option to 'select destination' it only lists points that you have left as alerting points - most often just the start and end of the ride.

I hope this helps.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

Paggers wrote: I suspect this is caused by a misunderstanding of alerting - I come across it all the time. In the image below you can see a simple route in BaseCamp with three waypoints. You will note that next to the second waypoint is the text "(won't alert)". This is what BaseCamp refers to as a 'shaping point' and when you are riding, once you get close to that point, the Navigator will automatically switch to the next point without any interruption.

The problem is that when you add a waypoint to a route BaseCamp generally assumes that you want to stop there. If you don't know how to fix that then it's a real pain. This can be fixed by right-clicking on the specific waypoint in the route view (below). You will see an option to set the waypoint to not alert (shaping point). Once you have changed all the relevant points, upload the route into your Nav (don't forget to delete the old route first) and you should be good to go.

You will now find that when you are given the option to 'select destination' it only lists points that you have left as alerting points - most often just the start and end of the ride.

I hope this helps.

Paggers- very cool!  I will definitely try this.  Thank you.
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

Paggers, this seemed to work really well but I still have an issue now that I have gotten the routing sorted.

I made two routes this evening. One had a number of "points". The other was a copy of this, but in basecamp I highlighted the points and changed them from "alert on arrival" to "don't alert on arrival" as you suggested so that the final route only had a starting and ending waypoint. On the first route, I got off the route and it tried to reroute me to the last waypoint I missed, which would require a large amount of backtracking and then a u-turn to get headed back in the right direction. Of course, I could skip this waypoint and others and eventually get right, but only because I knew the area I was in. If I was really lost this would be more difficult. On the second track with only 2 waypoints, beginning and end, I got off track and it did try to route me to the end point, however, it did so on the most direct way, ignoring my planned route altogether. I tried to cut out about 3 miles of route during recalculation.  It is frustrating because I can't trust this device to take me on my planned route right now. I'm sure I am making the routes correctly, but don't understand the routing on the device.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you go off route it will recalculate a new route to your waypoint which if its the destination could mean a completely new route. Not what you want. To stop this simply turn 'off' auto route recalculation. What will happen then is when you go off route nothing will happen. The Nav will not recalculate a route. You will see you are off route by the pink route line and you will have to get back on track yourself. Once back on route the Nav will continue guidance. Hope this helps.

Settings - Navigation - Off-Route Recalculation - OFF.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Very nice post Paggers I might re-try using Basecamp to plan some rides now
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

Levisp wrote: If you go off route it will recalculate a new route to your waypoint which if its the destination could mean a completely new route. Not what you want. To stop this simply turn 'off' auto route recalculation. What will happen then is when you go off route nothing will happen. The Nav will not recalculate a route. You will see you are off route by the pink route line and you will have to get back on track yourself. Once back on route the Nav will continue guidance. Hope this helps.

Settings - Navigation - Off-Route Recalculation - OFF.

Bingo.  I came to this conclusion as well.  Thanks!

Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Glad the information helped.

Obviously I have a Nav V which I use on the RT, and I also have a Zumo 590 which pre-dates the Nav V and will now do service on my son's YS125. Imagine my frustration yesterday when, having carefully planned out a 'learner friendly' route it loaded into the Nav V fine but when loaded into the 590 it completely ignored the chosen route and suggested that we go via the motorway!

So it's not just a case of working out Basecamp. Clearly there are some configuration options on the Garmin unit itself that come into play. I haven't had a chance yet to play with the 590 and work out what I need to fix to stop it ignoring the trip plan. If I manage to work it out I'll post something up about it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Just had a play with the 590 and worked out what the problem is. When you are creating a route in BaseCamp you have to base it on a routing profile. The default one I use is 'Car' - mostly because that's the profile the Nav V defaults to when it is in the bike cradle. When I mount the 590 in it's cradle it defaults to the 'bike' profile. Because the trip was based on a different profile the SatNav immediately re-calculates the route based on the 'new' profile parameters. All fixed by touching the routing symbol at the top of the screen and changing it, in this case from a bike to a car. The 590 then correctly follows the route I had plotted in BaseCamp.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thats interesting. I have been playing around using MyRoute web app to plan routes instead of Basecamp and again the planned route can change when transferred to your device. I have come to the conclusion that when transferring a route from planning software to device all you are really doing is transferring waypoints. The navigation device then calculates the route between these waypoints according to its navigation settings and built in navigation algorithm. If either settings or the navigation algorithm are different from planning software you may get a different route. The placement of waypoints are quite critical. All very frustrating at times.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Levisp wrote: Thats interesting. I have been playing around using MyRoute web app to plan routes instead of Basecamp and again the planned route can change when transferred to your device. I have come to the conclusion that when transferring a route from planning software to device all you are really doing is transferring waypoints. The navigation device then calculates the route between these waypoints according to its navigation settings and built in navigation algorithm. If either settings or the navigation algorithm are different from planning software you may get a different route. The placement of waypoints are quite critical. All very frustrating at times.
That's exactly why I use BaseCamp. So long as I use the same routing profile in BaseCamp and on my Garmin device I will get the route that I plotted. It has taken me some time to get to a point where I can do it repeatably but I can now do it with confidence. And for me that's the whole point of using planning software - if you have to redo it on the device it's pointless.

Of course that's just me - there is plenty of mileage in other opinions and experiences.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Cannot disagree with that. The reason I have been playing with MyRoute planning website is I have been experimenting with navigating using my iPhone. Its a slow old iPhone 4s but I'm hoping to upgrade to the latest and greatest by the end of the year. So why use iPhone instead of a Garmin ? Well it all comes down to planning routes without a computer. The problem with Garmins is the only way to get a route into it is by using software such as Basecamp and plugging the device into a computer. All well and good but what if you want to travel light and not carry a computer. Plan all routes first. Yes until you want to change plan. So I have been trying to find a way to plan on an iPad mini and navigate on my phone. Myroute web app is one way to do it. Providing I have a mobile signal I don't even need wifi. Now when I upgrade phone the screen will be so much better that planning on the phone itself is a possibility. MyRoute are about to launch their own navigating app which looks promising. At the moment I'm using Sygic app for navigating. Works well.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Completely understand. I wouldn't use BaseCamp if I wasn't using Garmin navigation devices. As we already have three of them in the family it doesn't make much sense for me to change at this stage.