IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Most of the recent recruits to my local IAM group seem to be guys looking for a ticket to be able to ride for the Blood Bikes, you never see them out on social rides.

So, get an IAM ticket and have a check ride, (not a test) and you're good to go forever.

Unlike RoSPA which, as we know, requires a test every 3 years to maintain membership.

When I said check ride, it is carried out by IAM testers and RoSPA Diploma holders, it isn't just a whip around the block, its carried out exactly like a real test, if they are not up to standard (which does happen) they are sent away to brush up and immediately stopped from duties. Then they are taken out again to show they can reach the standard. I hold both IAM bike, car, and RoSPA bike. I have passed my IAM and RoSPA every 3 years as I normally do a weeks course with 1st class rider training, which is run by an ex Police instructor and all the tutors and testers are either serving or retired Police motorcyclists. So there are no free passes with them. On the course you already pay for an IAM test and RoSPA test, so I use the IAM test as a warm up for RoSPA. I do more than enough motorcycling on duties, covering around 10,000 miles a year just doing Blood Bike shifts. So really do not have time to do IAM or RoSPA social rides. But as I have said IMHO there are advanced riders and some who hold a ticket that are nowhere near what I would call an advanced motorcyclist. Another great company to train with is Rapid, but they do not train you for IAM or RoSPA
Last edited by Casbar on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've got an IAM "Red Badge", plus a Blue Peter Badge!

Locally there is Ridewell Tees Valley, http://ridewellteesvalley.co.uk/ for roadcraft

and

i2i Motorcycle Academy, https://www.i2imca.com/ for machine control skills.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I did my car last year, as the IAM were doing a deal for a second category. Really didn't like the car training, wouldn't bother with it again :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ive got a caravan course certificate.  :))
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Ive got a caravan course certificate.  :) )

I wouldn't admit to owning a caravan full stop
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
I wouldn't admit to owning a caravan full stop

Not enough kudos eh?
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MikeS wrote:
Perhaps an alternative viewpoint is that when we get to 70plus there's a chance our reflexes and sensory acuity start to decline a little bit ( mine has at 60).
As "advanced" riders they might have reflected on this and adjusted their riding style accordingly.

Very well put! A responsible ride leader would take things like that into consideration surely?..
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Whether using the "drop off system" or "light of sight" for a group ride, if the ride leader runs out of "markers" or "sight" of the following rider, it's good practice to pause & wait before moving on.

Riding through towns or cities is particularly challenging and takes greater responsibility & consideration to keep the group together.

"Thanks for a great day out and well done navigating Leeds."

"Thank you from me too. Top job."
Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I’d sure I’m due a retest at 3 years, I pay my annual IAM and subs to SLAM (local training group) but I’m more than happy to take a re-test ... 3 years down the line !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If you take up the IAM "Fellow Entry" membership, test every 3 years, you can indeed be booted out if you repeatedly fail.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/fe ... motorcycle

Please note - in the unlikely event of failing the test then a three month grace period will be given to achieve the standard. Repeated failure to reach the advanced standard will result in suspension of full membership until the standard is achieved.

"Our Fellow level of membership was created as a result of our insurance findings that the longer it has been since you passed the advanced test the more likely you are to be involved in an incident."

Is this the IAM recognising the 17 to 70+ scenario.
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Casbar wrote: You wouldn't believe the difficulty we have with getting  IAM members that have passed their test years ago to re assess every three years.

You wouldn’t believe the difficulty I had taking the test in the first place!  I was told after one observed ride by my observer that I should never reach test standard.  I gave up at that point. 
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

MEM62 wrote:
You wouldn’t believe the difficulty I had taking the test in the first place!  I was told after one observed ride by my observer that I should never reach test standard.  I gave up at that point.

Do you think he/she was having a particularly crappy day? Or just couldn't be bothered?  It's hard to understand why somebody would make that comment.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MEM62 wrote:I was told after one observed ride by my observer that I should never reach test standard.
Were IAM HQ made aware of this.

We had a couple in our local group who were told the same by one particular observer. At the time, I was an observer myself, I persevered with them to the point where they were both successful and passed their IAM tests.
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

MikeS wrote: Do you think he/she was having a particularly crappy day? Or just couldn't be bothered? It's hard to understand why somebody would make that comment.
Not sure. I had a couple of observed rides where my assessment scored had not improved so I asked for the observer's input. His response began with "Well, I can see you have issues with your riding......." and generally went downhill from there so I never bothered with the IAM after that. To bring some perspective, I have done two BikeSafe days and, on both occasions, the officers I went our with were complimentary. I have also had several advanced training days with riding schools that were also positive. And most importantly, I am comfortable with my standard of riding.
Last edited by MEM62 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Within my local IAM group, if an Associate & Observer didn't hit it off, there was always the option to switch the pairing.

Just because you can ride a bike yourself & qualify to be an observer, doesn't mean you can coach others, that is a teaching skill.