IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Glencoe »

Well done you.  :clap:
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

MEM62 wrote: Not sure.  I had a couple of observed rides where my assessment scored had not improved so I asked for the observer's input.  His response began with "Well, I can see you have issues with your riding......." and generally went downhill from there so I never bothered with the IAM after that.  To being some perspective, I have done two BikeSafe days and, on both occasions, the officers I went our with were complimentary.  I have also had several advanced training days with riding schools that were also positive.  And most importantly, I am comfortable with my standard of riding.   

On the latest incarnation of the IAM scoring  3 is needs more work  2 is test standard 1 is brilliant, so really its a binary systems 3 not up to test standard or 2 good enough  the devil is in the detail on the written reports.  Some observers find this difficult  we lost a few when the system changed from 5-1  but these  generally were the guys that entered 4+  or 3-  WTF!  Part of the observers skill has to be encouraging the associate and being able to write it up in a constructive way.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:Part of the observers skill has to be encouraging the associate and being able to write it up in a constructive way.
A teaching skill which not everyone possesses.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

David. wrote: A teaching skill which not everyone possesses.

Indeed and I am not a natural teacher  but hopefully by now  I'm not too bad at it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

After some successes in getting associates up to test standard, I gave up observing because I found it more difficult to deal with certain situations and the ever increasing IAM paperwork.
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I continue to support the Manchester group. Doing it gives me two weekends a month getting out for a ride, and it keeps my riding skill at an acceptable level. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:I continue to support the Manchester group, it keeps my riding skill at an acceptable level.
Agreed, observing & coaching others is a great way to maintain your own skills. As an observer, do you yourself have a check ride once a year.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

David. wrote: Agreed, observing & coaching others is a great way to maintain your own skills. As an observer, do you yourself have a check ride once a year.

I'm an LOA so my skills are checked every three years by the local ASDM just about to be checked again this month. In addition there are 4 LOAs in the group so we Peer check each other from time to time.  And each of us is our own worst critic.  As a LOA is spend a great deal of my time coaching Trainee Observers and at least annual assessments of our Local Observers.  We also do spot checks on Nationals just to make sure everyone is singing from the same song sheet.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Just waiting on my IAM Group to come back on doing an assessment ride.  Been trying to get into the local Bloodbikers and have been surprised how hard it is to volunteer one's time, tyres, fuel etc in a good cause.  A lot of this happened in lock down and I thought they'd be really busy ferrying the COVID tests etc so tried to volunteer.  I have IAM, but it is more than 3 years since my riding was assessed and my local IAM group were stood down due to the restrictions at the time.  So I asked whether I could go out with the Bloodbikers' in house assessor to get up and going quickly.  Nope.

So, after waving the metaphorical two fingers around for a bit I've decided it is time to try again.  Wish me luck.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is there a local RoSPA group near you? https://www.roadar.org.uk/groups/
Last edited by David. on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Just waiting on my IAM Group to come back on doing an assessment ride.  Been trying to get into the local Bloodbikers and have been surprised how hard it is to volunteer one's time, tyres, fuel etc in a good cause.  A lot of this happened in lock down and I thought they'd be really busy ferrying the COVID tests etc so tried to volunteer.  I have IAM, but it is more than 3 years since my riding was assessed and my local IAM group were stood down due to the restrictions at the time.  So I asked whether I could go out with the Bloodbikers' in house assessor to get up and going quickly.  Nope.

So, after waving the metaphorical two fingers around for a bit I've decided it is time to try again.  Wish me luck.

No help to you, but our group will allow one of our RoSPA diploma holders or our IAM examiners to check ride and approve anyone who holds IAM longer than 3 years and haven't been reassessed. Good luck, you will find Blood Biking very rewarding. Just to add, during the pandemic, we were not allowed to carry out any check rides due to social distancing and not doing any unnecessary journeys. So we suspended all our check rides for current volunteers, but could not do any training or familiarisation for new volunteers wanting to join. We have only in the last month started carrying out induction by video conference, doing hospital familiarisation rides. and catching up on our outstanding check rides
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Been toying with volunteering with the local Blood bikes group up my way. registered with them so now thinking about the IAM test. Take the bull by the horns and going for it me thinks.
Last edited by Gogs11uk on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

exportman wrote:
I'm an LOA so my skills are checked every three years by the local ASDM just about to be checked again this month.

Pleased to say LOA test passed  8)  three years before the next one
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Casbar wrote:
No help to you, but our group will allow one of our RoSPA diploma holders or our IAM examiners to check ride and approve anyone who holds IAM longer than 3 years and haven't been reassessed. Good luck, you will find Blood Biking very rewarding. Just to add, during the pandemic, we were not allowed to carry out any check rides due to social distancing and not doing any unnecessary journeys. So we suspended all our check rides for current volunteers, but could not do any training or familiarisation for new volunteers wanting to join. We have only in the last month started carrying out induction by video conference, doing hospital familiarisation rides. and catching up on our outstanding check rides

Thanks Casbar,
I've got an assessment fixed up with the local Solent IAM group, which was really quick and easy now they are out and about again.  Had a good chat with one of their National Observers about it and its a good thing to do anyway I think.  After that, hopefully, it will be on to Blood Biking.  Just in time for winter :(
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote:
Thanks Casbar,
I've got an assessment fixed up with the local Solent IAM group, which was really quick and easy now they are out and about again.  Had a good chat with one of their National Observers about it and its a good thing to do anyway I think.  After that, hopefully, it will be on to Blood Biking.  Just in time for winter :(

Which group are you looking to join? As you mentioned Solent, is it SERV Wessex? If it is drop me a PM and let me know your circumstances, I am the SERV Wessex Chairman :)