IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: With the IAM (unlike RoSPA),there is no mandatory re-test required to maintain membership & demonstrate that skills are being upheld.

Not strictly true, depends which membership you take, if you opt for Fellowship, you retest every 3 years the same as RoSPA. I have both IAM and RoSPA, but in our blood bike group IAM get check rides every 3 years and the RoSPA take their tests again. We did consider asking IAM to convert to Fellowship, but not all are keen on having to take their test every 3 years. I think the thing that surprised me was, just because someone has passed an IAM or RoSPA test, does not make them an advanced rider, I have seen members that have been riding for 2 years, then passed their IAM, but under no circumstances would I class them as advanced riders. Years of experience, 1000s of miles give you that experience. I try and do some kind of advanced training every year to keep the skills going. I also have found that a lot of peoples slow riding skills are abysmal, in that they don't know how to do it and never practice.
Last edited by Casbar on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by David. »

I've been an IAM "Green Badge" holder since 2005, there has been no requirement for me to re-test to maintain my IAM membership.

Since 2005, have done my RoSPA test twice and most recently had a RoSPA check ride.
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: I've been an IAM "Green Badge" holder since 2005, there has been no requirement for me to re-test to maintain my IAM membership.

Since 2005, have done my RoSPA test twice and most recently had a RoSPA check ride.

Like I said, IAM members should really opt for Fellowship membership IMHO then their standards would be tested every 3 years the same as RoSPA. If you are a member of RoSPA you will be required to retest every 3 years. You can not be a member of RoSPA without a current in date test pass. So if RoSPA and your test has run out, you can not classify yourself as an advanced rider. I agree with the point about IAM test for life is really rubbish. But IAM would lose lots of ££££ from their members if they enforced a 3 year test as most people do not want to do a test every 3 years. Out of the 2 organisations, test apart, IAM are far more switched on than RoSPA. The other interesting thing was when I was doing my Insurance trawl when I was buying a second bike, most recognised IAM as an advanced qualification, but only a RoSPA Gold pass. Now I would argue a RoSPA Silver pass is the equivalent to a standard IAM pass and a Gold pass is the equivalent to a F1rst IAM pass. Then Masters IAM is similar to a RoSPA Diploma, although the Diploma is a teaching qualification, but you need 3 Gold rides to pass as well as the theory so not just another advanced ride.
Toaster
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: West Sussex, UK
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Toaster »

Congratulations Paggers....I know that feeling.....be
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

Toaster wrote: Congratulations Paggers....I know that feeling.....be

You do realise Paggers post was from August 2017 :)
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by David. »

Well, today demonstrated IMO, that badges & certificates don't mean a great deal unless the skills learnt are put into practice, improved upon & kept up to date.

I led a ride out for the local IAM group, myself plus 3 others. Had to stop & wait several times for two 70+ IAM members. One used to be an observer & I believe is retraining to observe again after a long break. The other just dithers about.

RoSPA didn't fair much better either. A RoSPA Gold rider was reluctant to filter, resulting in us becoming separated before re-grouping.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scunny12
Subscriber
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: North Lincs
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by scunny12 »

Entirely up to the individuals if they want to go IAM, or ROSPA,  for me I have no interest in anyone trying to pick faults on the way I ride.  After 45 years of motorcycling I have evolved to be observant, steady and know my limitations and my faults. Indeed the older I get, the slower I ride- as subconsciously, I know throwing it down the road, that I no longer bounce and the result is painful and expensive.
A friend of a friend, was killed last year and he was a Police Motorcyclist who just happened to have misjudged his ability at a crucial time. Suffice to say, treat everyone on the road as an idiot, try and anticipate potential threats and ride within your own limits. My Brother in Law goes out riding with a well respected Superbike rider (his Nephew) and they have invited me to join them ,but I know they are far faster and take more risks on the road than I am happy with. If I tried to keep up with them, I would become an accident statistic, so I bumble along at my own pace.
So people, respect to those who want to join organisations to improve for themselves, work etc, not knocking them at all, just not for me.  Enjoy your riding and be safe. 
austin1964
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by austin1964 »

Doing my advanced training was a requirement of being a blood biker, little did I know that it gave me a great social group from a wide variety of daily life to go on group rides with.

I have done the one day DSA enhanced, plus green badge (and a red one) and a couple of bikesafe courses.

You can always keep learning and picking up tips, mate's taking the piss is the best feedback of all  :alas:
Last edited by austin1964 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

scunny12 wrote: Entirely up to the individuals if they want to go IAM, or ROSPA,  for me I have no interest in anyone trying to pick faults on the way I ride.  After 45 years of motorcycling I have evolved to be observant, steady and know my limitations and my faults. Indeed the older I get, the slower I ride- as subconsciously, I know throwing it down the road, that I no longer bounce and the result is painful and expensive.
A friend of a friend, was killed last year and he was a Police Motorcyclist who just happened to have misjudged his ability at a crucial time. Suffice to say, treat everyone on the road as an idiot, try and anticipate potential threats and ride within your own limits. My Brother in Law goes out riding with a well respected Superbike rider (his Nephew) and they have invited me to join them ,but I know they are far faster and take more risks on the road than I am happy with. If I tried to keep up with them, I would become an accident statistic, so I bumble along at my own pace.
So people, respect to those who want to join organisations to improve for themselves, work etc, not knocking them at all, just not for me.  Enjoy your riding and be safe.

I agree with your sentiments, I felt the same until I did the IAM and RoSPA, I learnt a lot after riding for some 40 years. After doing the training and tests I subsequently realised I have a lot less Oh Sh1t moments since doing the training. Its not about labelling yourself as an advanced rider and more about no training is a waste of time. The catalyst for me, was I wanted to start Blood Biking and needed one of the tests to enable me to be a volunteer. I look after events and fundraising for our group, if I had a £ for everyone who came up and said "I have been riding for blah blah blah and don't need to pass another test to prove it" The reality is, all training is good, nobody is a good as they think. Like I said earlier, I try and do some sort of advanced training every year, not specifically IAM or RoSPA that is just really an advanced test and is just a stepping stone.
MikeS
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 67 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by MikeS »

David. wrote:
I led a ride out for the local IAM group, myself plus 3 others. Had to stop & wait several times for two 70+ IAM members. One used to be an observer & I believe is retraining to observe again after a long break. The other just dithers about.

RoSPA didn't fair much better either. A RoSPA Gold rider was reluctant to filter, resulting in us becoming separated before re-grouping.

Perhaps an alternative viewpoint is that when we get to 70plus there's a chance our reflexes and sensory acuity start to decline a little bit ( mine has at 60).
As "advanced" riders they might have reflected on this and adjusted their riding style accordingly.
Last edited by MikeS on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by David. »

At age 70, your driving licence needs to be renewed. Perhaps to maintain IAM membership, a re-test should be taken too.
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: At age 70, your driving licence needs to be renewed. Perhaps to maintain IAM membership, a re-test should be taken too.

I agree, probably because I'm nowhere near 70 :) But the fact is you can not still be riding to an advanced level for years, you need to have your skills checked, i personally think to maintain your advance ticket you should be tested every 3 years. Its a good thing to brush up on your standards. But I know many IAM members who are scared about taking the test again and as I said the IAM would lose loads of £££ from their members who still hold an advanced ticket and did their tests years ago. Emotive subject though, I do it to maintain my skills and keep myself safe, plus I need to, to be a Blood Biker. But still get test nerves :)
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:But the fact is you can not still be riding to an advanced level for years, you need to have your skills checked, I personally think to maintain your advance ticket you should be tested every 3 years.
I agree, after training, did my IAM test in 2005. Joined the local RoSPA group in 2009, after their training, passed the test. Re-applied for my RoSPA test in 2013, had one check ride and was told to put in for my test, passed again. Haven't taken a test since 2013, but have had a check ride with RoSPA and was told that I was still up to test standard. I'm probably due another check ride/test.

With Blood Bikes, are the re-assessments just check rides or is an IAM/RoSPA test completed.
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: I agree, after training, did my IAM test in 2005. Joined the local RoSPA group in 2009, after their training, passed the test. Re-applied for my RoSPA test in 2013, had one check ride and was told to put in for my test, passed again. Haven't taken a test since 2013, but have had a check ride with RoSPA and was told that I was still up to test standard. I'm probably due another check ride/test.

With Blood Bikes, are the re-assessments just check rides or is an IAM/RoSPA test completed.

All groups are different, but ours, IAM holders are given a check ride by either one of our IAM examiners or our RoSPA Diploma holder. RoSPA holders do not get check rides they have to take the RoSPA test again and obtain a silver or gold to continue to ride for us. Everyone also has to be a paid up member of IAM or RoSPA. To join if you passed your test more than 3 years ago, again you get a check ride. Then we have a different and additional process to be able to ride one of our marked bikes. Our group do not run under blue lights, so it's more a case of being checked that you can handle a heavy bike and learning how other motorists react to a fully marked bike, some of our bikes have blue lights as they are authority bikes, but as I said we as a group decided not to do blue light calls anymore. Those that do blue light calls do not have an road traffic dispensation, so have to obey all speed limits and traffic lights, so it is not really much of an advantage and a lot more risky.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by David. »

Most of the recent recruits to my local IAM group seem to be guys looking for a ticket to be able to ride for the Blood Bikes, you never see them out on social rides.

So, get an IAM ticket and have a check ride, (not a test) and you're good to go forever.

Unlike RoSPA which, as we know, requires a test every 3 years to maintain membership.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply