General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BoB21
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 47 times
Great Britain

Alarm problem

Post by BoB21 »

Hi all,
Since owning bike  2017 model,every so often when I start bike noticed red alarm indicator flashing twice (sensor 2 according to manual) didn't really worry about it but a couple of weeks ago heard beeping noise like a van reversing sound coming from vicinity off garage. by the time got outside it had stopped but really suspect it was bike. Monday night wife got in and said as she driving in heard beeping noise which she thought was coming from garage. I had been out on bike Sunday so checked ignition and sure enough red light flashing.Have booked bike in to check it out but am thinking a dodgy sensor, any ideas or similar?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Alarm problem

Post by T6pilot »

Is the alarm set for AUTO ARM, I found that was a nuisance
Go through the alarm setup menu, may solve your problem
Jim
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

No its not. Alarm with fob.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Could you be getting radio interference from another source nearby
I ask this because in US One brand of fuel "Mobile" has a fastpas system using a FOB that activates the fuel pump you have selected. I do not have a mobile pass fob, yet on  have on occasion had the red triangle
Flash, no sound i'am aware of, won't allow bike to start until it's pushed 10 or more feet from pump. Bmw North America is aware of issue, both the bikes FOB and Mobile Pass work on the same frequency range. Think it's the same as most wireless phones
Isn't technology great
Jim
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hi would have thought interference would deactivate alarm not trigger. for info not red warning triangle but red dot flashing twice.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Mine has done this on many occasions.  I think it is when your fob is not in direct line or the bike has a bit of a issue reading the fob.  I can get it when I put my keys on my right side belt loop and they slide around to my back a little.  If I slide the key ring to the front it goes away.  Try for yourself and see if it is range of the key fob or if your body is blocking it a bit from the antenna.    It may be the battery in the fob is weak but not enough to trip the fob indicator for new battery?  I do not think you have any issue and I never see any related codes when looking with the GS-911.

Only a guess just trying to brainstorm with you.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Try not manually setting the alarm by the fob and leave the alarm off and see if you still get the red triangle warning. Think the bike is imobilised anyway
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Bike is automatically immobilized when the transponder is not in range. This is irrespective of whether or not the alarm is set.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Thanks all,
bike and fob are new so don't expect it to be battery problem,also Fob is working fine as bike alarms and de alarms/locks and unlocks no problems whatsoever. Am not getting red triangle sign but red alarm dot flashing twice when ignition key turned on. Main concern is beeping noise will attract unwanted attention to garage.
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

I don't know if this helps. Yesterday, I was removing the cover from my 2014 RT and the alarm started to bleep, a single tone beep about twice a second, and shortly afterwards the alarm went off. I had the alarm set to auto arm and I guess this warning tone is to remind you to turn off the alarm. It didn't seem to take much movement to start the warning tone off, you haven't got a cat who like sitting on a nice leather seat or a mouse who uses it as a trampolene?
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Had been wondering that, not sure what sensor 2 is and weather it would be that sensitive. but it is feasible for small animal to gain access to garage.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It seems that a simple answer would be to connect up a diagnostic tool to the bike and see if it is generating any fault codes. If there is something wrong with the alarm that would tell you. Anyone close to you who has a GS-911? Or you could ask your dealer as the bike is still under warranty.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Do have it booked in early September for check but had 6000 service only month ago and nothing showed up then. Have just rocked bike to test cat theory but took quite a bit of effort to trigger . Possible but unlikely I suspect.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

For info alarm had water in it (sits behind rear seat)  apparently not uncommon, replaced with new.
Sullivj
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Glad you got it sorted Bob21. I told you that riding in the rain was a bad idea :-)