Airlines and Motorcycle Gear Bags

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Inlaw1

Airlines and Motorcycle Gear Bags

Post by Inlaw1 »

Anyone have experience flying airlines and gear bags that may be slightly oversized? Leaving for Europe for some riding Thursday and was packing my gear bag over the weekend when a zipper gave out. Found one through Amazon Prime and had it Monday and things were great, as it was larger than the one I had previously, so things fit even better. However, upon review of weight limits with the airline (Delta) I found out there is also a size limitation. Length x width x height = 62 inches. Mine is 67 inches.

Looking online for another bag I find almost all motorcycle gear bags are at least 65 inches, or they are smaller by quite a bit and won’t fit all the gear the both of us need to take. There are fees attached to oversize bags, and on an international flight it’s $300, YIKES! So, my luck I’ll get the one ticket agent that won’t bend on the rules (happened one other time with a bag that was like 3 pounds over that cost me $100) and I’ll get smacked with the fee.

So, anyone have any experience? Airlines usually lenient on size, just more worried about weight?

Thanks
julianq

Re: Airlines and Motorcycle Gear Bags

Post by julianq »

Had trouble once, not accepted as sports gear, carried helmet as hand luggage, wore trousers, jacket and boots onto plane problem solved. Now wear boots and jacket on plane, car helmet in helmet bag as hand luggage. Trousers and spare clothes of which there are not many as I ride in a case. They are more worried about weight in hold than size.
JQ 2007 R1200RT
Inlaw1

Post by Inlaw1 »

Going to carry the helmets on in helmet bags. But the riding gear consist of a Aerostitch Roadcrafter 1pc, a Darien jacket / pant combo, two pair of boots / gloves / rain gloves, etc, etc. Two people traveling with gear to Europe. Can't really wear that stuff on board. :)

Does anyone know of a airline regulation size motorcycle gear bag?
julianq

Post by julianq »

Luggage weight and size depends on airline, helmet bigger in dimension than bag allowed as hand luggage but never been a problem as sports equipment. Ring , check web site for airline. Travelled British Airways, American Airlines, Emirates and South African Airways and only ever been charged for excess weight.

British Airways
'The maximum size of the handbag/laptop bag is now 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (16in x 12in x 6in). The size of the additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Both bags can weigh up to 23kgs (51lb) each.'

In hold - [align=center]'Adults and young adults (from 12 years)2 bags (max. 23kg / 51lb per bag)'[/align]
JQ 2007 R1200RT