New here from Kentucky, USA

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
tamiller

New here from Kentucky, USA

Post by tamiller »

Just put a deposit on a 2017 with 3000 miles on it.  I would have it in my possession but they want to service it and replace the front tire before I pick it up.  Looks like the previous owner rode it in a straight line for 3000 miles with low pressure in the front tire.  It's a fully loaded Platinum Bronze. 

I'm coming off 16 years of Goldwings, been to and from every state including Alaska on Goldwings.  Hope this RT is as reliable as they were. 

I test rode the 1600 GTL and liked it but didn't like the top heaviness of it so on a whim I rode the RT.  Wow! was I impressed with that bike.  That's what I've been waiting for Honda to build for 10 years.  Got tired of waiting and wound up with the RT.  GWs are very reliable but it's sort of like driving the same Toyota Camry for 16 years.  :)

Hope to learn a lot from this forum, and those with experience on the RTs. 
F800GT

Re: New here from Kentucky, USA

Post by F800GT »

Welcome and congrats !

Please let us know later on your experience with the RT and how it is compared to your Goldwing
Taz

Post by Taz »

Welcome. I was new to the RT when I bought mine 8 months ago. It is the first touring bike I have owned and I have not regretted one minute - in fact I am more keen to ride it than perhaps most of my previous bikes.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Hello and welcome.  I bet you can't wait to get your hands on the new bike!
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Welcome! I don't think the RT is a Gold Wing, but certainly a Gold Wing isn't an RT. Meaning they do things differently. Hard to beat the Wing on the interstates, but everywhere else the RT is going to be quite a refreshing change. You will learn to really enjoy what the RT offers. You may miss a couple things on the Wing, but there are fixes for the RT that make 1000 mile days quite comfortable.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

realshelby wrote: Welcome! I don't think the RT is a Gold Wing, but certainly a Gold Wing isn't an RT. Meaning they do things differently. Hard to beat the Wing on the interstates, but everywhere else the RT is going to be quite a refreshing change. You will learn to really enjoy what the RT offers. You may miss a couple things on the Wing, but there are fixes for the RT that make 1000 mile days quite comfortable.

That is a typo, isn't it ? (1000)
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I do not think it was a typo.

I recently did 710 miles in 1 day and if I had to do 290 more I could have no issue.  I went from PA to RI to check cam timing on a bike and pick up a rear wheel for my Dark Side adventures.  I left a 7:00 am Tuesday Morning and got home 3:30 AM Wednesday morning.  That was working on a bike, swapping out a rear tire on a No Mar and construction which was just insane adding about 2.5 hours over all, and a Garmin route that decided to take me to see NY City sky line and the George Washington Bridge.

A Day Long Russel seat will make long rides a non issue for your back side.  After that it is your stamina and health that dictates how long you can sit the bike.

I think you will find the RT really different than the GW but in a good way that will make you smile.  You should enjoy the weight reduction for sure. 

Enjoy!

Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Sorry LAF but you'll have to help us "Limeys" out a bit here. Where is PA and RI, and just what is a No Mar ?. Thanks. (I managed to figure out that NY must be New York !!)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Our Gee wrote: Sorry LAF but you'll have to help us "Limeys" out a bit here. Where is PA and RI, and just what is a No Mar ?. Thanks. (I managed to figure out that NY must be New York !!)
Sorry PA is the state of Pennsylvania and RI is the state of Rhode Island in the New England area of the USA. 

I do forget sometimes about cultural differences.

I do enjoy this forum because of that and it allows me a look at places I probably will never get to.
tamiller

Post by tamiller »

Got a call yesterday and the RT is ready to go.  Can't pick it up until Tuesday as the shop is closed on Monday.

I have ridden more 1000 mile days than I can count, sometimes several in a row, but always one up.  My wife and I rode to Washington State this past summer, 6100 miles in 11 days, with the longest day being 770 mil
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

Hope you enjoy yor RT. It was between a Goldwing and RT. The weight was the final factor...went with the 17' RT in early July. Awesome performing motorcycle, at least thus far at 1600 miles. I'm sure that I could rack off a few/# of things that I miss from my HD Ultra limited, but overall, I love this bike! I'll be putting it to the test with an upcoming ride from Massachusetts to Florida and back. I'm sure it will fare just fine.