Dropped the bike TWICE this morning. Aaaaargh! (but with some positives)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
panaray

Dropped the bike TWICE this morning. Aaaaargh! (but with some positives)

Post by panaray »

It's been about 8 weeks and 2500 miles of owning a (new to me) '11 RT-low. As it's been completely incident-free, I had started to think I had wasted money by buying protectors and other gadgets.
Of course the bliss didn't last too long.
The morning started as normal, pulling the bike out of the garage....except I had bumped the side pannier which made me lose my balance, and the bike. It was the dreaded "first drop."
It turned worse when I lost my footing while maneuvering the bike at my work parking lot, which caused another drop.
I haven't dropped a bike in over 20 years, and it happens to me TWICE within one hour? The motorcycle gods must be angry with me for some reason!? Oh why, why, why, why...!
The incident had some positives and gave me some food for thought.
1. The used pannier protectors (aka crash bars) I had purchased for $80 on eBay worked perfectly. It's worth every penny. (imagine the cost of replacing/repairing a scratched pannier!)
2. For the first time, I used the reverse-leg-lift technique to lift the bike (the last bike I had dropped was my old 900SS---light enough to just n pick up) Very easy, and now that I've done it twice, I'm a pro(?)
3. My right valve cover was pre-scratched from the previous owner, so more scratches doesn't bother me. I'm glad I had waited to replace them.
4. I am now ready to replace the valve covers with new ones (yes, the left one has a few scratches too) and protect them with front crash bars or cover protectors. (No, I'm not attempting to start another bars vs protector thread)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my way home this afternoon.
oh, BTW, anyone try the non-OE "pattern" valve covers you can buy in eBay for $140/pr? Fit, finish and color difference vs OE?
Sprintgull

Re: Dropped the bike TWICE this morning. Aaaaargh! (but with some positives)

Post by Sprintgull »

Ouch, that's unlucky - hope you get home without incident.  Glad there's not too much damage to the bike and none to you!
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

Ouch ... sorry to hear that.
Glad to hear there's not too much damage.
Now that you've dropped it twice, you have fulfilled your drop-quota for the next 40 years be
panaray

Post by panaray »

F800GT wrote: Ouch ... sorry to hear that.
Glad to hear there's not too much damage.
Now that you've dropped it twice, you have fulfilled your drop-quota for the next 40 years be
My thought, exactly! 🤞
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I wouldn't bother putting any on the lottery this week! Glad you & the bike are ok  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Schultz

Post by Schultz »

I  was not so lucky, Motorway spill in heavy rain on a Spanish motorway...damage was to the right hand side pannier and valve cover. Both now repaired.....glad your ok.
Attachments
IMG_1668.JPG
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Schultz wrote: I  was not so lucky, Motorway spill in heavy rain on a Spanish motorway...damage was to the right hand side pannier and valve cover. Both now repaired.....glad your ok.
Ouch,  are those metzeler tyres?
Schultz

Post by Schultz »

Conti- Motion tyres, 'absolute rubbish' came on the bike when i bought it as they had good tread thought i would leave them on. Hit some white lines on the road and off we came 50mph ish.... Soon as i got home i changed them to Angel St's....Pannier was repainted for £180, valve cover replaced by BMW and new aluminium protectors fitted plus a new front indicator. Got away lightly i think.

Ref' the tyres, (Conti-Motion)
when i got home the rear had uneven wear...did a bit of research on this and found there was a recall on this tyre and a few others. My tyre pressures were all good by the way. 
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
panaray

Post by panaray »

Schultz wrote: I  was not so lucky, Motorway spill in heavy rain on a Spanish motorway...damage was to the right hand side pannier and valve cover. Both now repaired.....glad your ok.
THAT REALLY SUCKS! I hope the only pain is in your wallet.