My $5 tank bag

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
panaray

My $5 tank bag

Post by panaray »

$366 for a tank bag? That's how much a genuine BMW tank bag costs on Amazon. EBay had a few on the listing, but many went for $100-$200 for well-used ones. Damn BMW? Why make things difficult for the common folk?

All I wanted was a place to put my maps on the tank while I'd ride, and I did not need something as big as the OEM bag. (And I surely don't want to pay $366!)

Enjoying a nice summer weekend before my next long ride, I decided to take the matter in my own hands and create something which meets my need.

Taking advantage of what was an impediment--the tank bag mount frame which makes most strap type bags difficult to mount--I used it to attach a plexiglass sheet with appropriate cutouts to attach my map sleeve. The one I had one handy was from Aerostich. I'm sure other types will fit.

The best part? It only cost $5. That'll make the MRS happy.

Want one for yourself? Why not make a trip to your local home impreovment store and try it out? It took me only 20 min to design and fab.
Attachments
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG
Last edited by panaray on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stratman

Re: My $5 tank bag

Post by Stratman »

I had been experimenting with something similar but without the same success. This has given me some more inspiration. How are you connecting the plexiglass to the tank bag rail?
panaray

Re: My $5 tank bag

Post by panaray »

Stratman wrote: I had been experimenting with something similar but without the same success. This has given me some more inspiration. How are you connecting the plexiglass to the tank bag rail?

Just zip ties. I used the holes for the tank bag mout.
Attachments
IMG_3655.JPG