Ilium Sport Board Review

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
JBnAZ

Ilium Sport Board Review

Post by JBnAZ »

I've searched for reviews on the Ilium sport boards and found very little information. I own a 2014 RT and am considering adding both passenger and rider sets.

Would appreciate hearing real world feedback, do you love them, hate them, only like them for long trips? Do you suggest shift or brake lever extensions? They appear to be high quality and I like the design as they look factory made, however they are very expensive. 

I've had multiple knee surgeries and I like being able to modify my foot position which helps my knees from aching. I was considering the height adjustable passenger boards so my wife has varied options too.

The bike is new to me and I just added a Sargent set, rider and passenger, which adds yet one more element to consider.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

JB
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Ilium Sport Board Review

Post by Littlebriar »

I've got a pair of front boards. Loved the ability to move my feet around to several positions. Several issues caused me to switch to lowered pegs.
First, they get in the way when you've got your feet down. I have short inseam and found it difficult to push the bike backwards because they get in the way. They hinge so you can get them out of the way but it's a pain.
Second, They impact lean angle quite a bit. I took them off after one session at a track day.
Third, There is no damping so you feel vibration. The stock pegs have rubber which reduces vibration quite a bit.

I replaced them with a peg lowering kit which is working great for me.

Regarding brake and shift lever extensions; you'll definitely need them.
Steve
JBnAZ

Re: Ilium Sport Board Review

Post by JBnAZ »

Thanks Littlebriar, your real world feedback is exactly what I was looking for. All your points make perfect sense to me, the lack of vibration dampening is a big deal for me as is the loss of lean angle. If my wife wants a passenger set I will get them for her, otherwise will be sticking with the stock pegs.

Thanks again for the feedback,

JB