Tail / Brake Light Bulbs

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Tail / Brake Light Bulbs

Post by Our Gee »

Hello all,
Sorry if this has been discussed before but here goes. I am in the process of putting together a "spare bulb kit" for our Twincam and it does seem to be a bit confusing, well to my rusty brain it does !!. (BMW no longer do a dedicated model specific Kit)
According to my Rider's Manual the bulb for the Tail light / Brake light is a P21W / 12V / 21W which I assumed would mean a Twin Filament Bulb. So with that in mind I have trawled various BMW parts suppliers Web Sites such as Motorworks, Motobins and Sherlocks and it only gets more confusing. In the end I removed the rear light cluster to see just what Tail / Brakelight bulbs are fitted. Now for the surprise. It would appear that the bulb is a "Single Filament" type which operates at two different current inputs, the lower current for the rear light and the higher current for a combined rear light and the Rear Brake. I have never come across this before. Anyone else noticed this ?.
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Tail / Brake Light Bulbs

Post by simbo »

Yeah I was surprised too, especially as I'd bought two twin filament bulbs to replace them both when one went.  :eggs:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Tail / Brake Light Bulbs

Post by beemerboy9 »

Our Gee wrote: Hello all,
Sorry if this has been discussed before but here goes. I am in the process of putting together a "spare bulb kit" for our Twincam and it does seem to be a bit confusing, well to my rusty brain it does !!. (BMW no longer do a dedicated model specific Kit)
According to my Rider's Manual the bulb for the Tail light / Brake light is a P21W / 12V / 21W which I assumed would mean a Twin Filament Bulb. So with that in mind I have trawled various BMW parts suppliers Web Sites such as Motorworks, Motobins and Sherlocks and it only gets more confusing. In the end I removed the rear light cluster to see just what Tail / Brakelight bulbs are fitted. Now for the surprise. It would appear that the bulb is a "Single Filament" type which operates at two different current inputs, the lower current for the rear light and the higher current for a combined rear light and the Rear Brake. I have never come across this before. Anyone else noticed this ?.
Welcome to the wonders of CanBus!
John Bentall