Rear Diff. Thrust Bearing

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Rear Diff. Thrust Bearing

Post by David. »

Had my 2012 TC serviced today, the BMW dealer has highlighted one advisory, "Slight play in rear diff. thrust bearing".

I'm not too sure what they mean by this and have quoted £264.00 inc. for the repair work.
Have asked the question, "Is this covered by the Insured Warranty" for which I have a £100 excess, awaiting a reply.

Can anyone shed any light on what work might be required & does it involve splitting the FD unit.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear Diff. Thrust Bearing

Post by michaelc2710 »

Have you put it on the centre stand and tried to feel the play for yourself?

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:Have you put it on the centre stand and tried to feel the play for yourself?
No, wouldn't know what I was looking for, at over £100 per hour, "in BMW I trust".
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: No, wouldn't know what I was looking for, at over £100 per hour, "in BMW I trust".

Compare it with mine on our next ride out. From what I've read? There's supposed to be a slight amount of play to allow for expansion as the metals heat up, 1mm from rim to rim being the maximum. Try gripping the wheel at 9 and 3 o clock and pushing and pulling in opposing directions, rotate the wheel 1/4 then try again a few times, do you feel any play or clunking noises?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:From what I've read? There's supposed to be a slight amount of play to allow for expansion as the metals heat up, 1mm from rim to rim being the maximum. Try gripping the wheel at 9 and 3 o clock and pushing and pulling in opposing directions, rotate the wheel 1/4 then try again a few times, do you feel any play or clunking noises?
Have spoken to Mike Overy of Overland & Classic, he overhauls FD units. He concurs with what Simbo has posted, w.r.t. how to check for the acceptable free play in the bearing(s).

I suppose it could be likened to wheel bearing play, it's not excessive, but won't get any better on it's own.
It's an advisory & not essential, I just like my bike to be right, for £100, I'd rather have it corrected.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

A couple of interesting video's regarding bearing & seal replacement on the final drive, Good tips with the heat gun and freezer too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdokm-XEt6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSYRumUPtGE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

H,mmm, "Slight play in rear diff thrust bearing". Strange terminology from a BMW Dealer. Which bearing are they talking about and how did they detect the slight play. Could they be talking about the "Pinion Bearing", that's the one at 90 degrees to the Needle and Grooved Ball Bearing ?. If indeed the repair does involve dis-assembly of the Final Drive Unit the £264 quote seems very cheap. Anyway David, you are welcome to pop around and compare mine if you like. No problem but as I said it would be nice to know how they detected the "slight play".
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:Compare it with mine on our next ride out.
Our Gee wrote:You are welcome to pop around and compare mine if you like.
Thanks for the offers guys.

I'll make some more enquiries with the dealer & see how I get on.

Have sent this email,

"I would like to understand further what is meant by “Slight play in rear diff. thrust bearing”.
Which bearing is it, what is the part no. & how was the play detected.
Does the repair involve disassembly of the Final Drive unit, are any diagrams available to view.
Please could you make some enquiries on my behalf or ask the Technician who serviced the bike to give me a call to discuss."

Last edited by David. on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

There is a difference between "slight play" and "that is absolutely shagged, mate" (I had that experience twice on my 2005 RT) at which point one's holiday could be ruined.

It means that one should keep an eye on it. I would be going back to the garage every 3 or 4,000 miles to get that technician to check whether the play had increased to concerning level.

John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cooper BMW have confirmed that the bearings in question are the FD unit pivot to Swingarm, #03 Needle sleeve & #04 Angular contact ball bearing, radial.

See link to diagram for details, http://www.rainbowbmw.com/BMWETK/Produc ... 302510.php

The "play" is detected as previously described, like checking the wheel bearings.

The FD unit needs to be removed from the bike to replace the bearings.

Hopefully it'll be covered under the Insured Warranty & cost me my excess of £100 to get it put right, awaiting a reply, standby.
Last edited by David. on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: Cooper BMW have confirmed that the bearings in question are the FD unit pivot to Swingarm, #03 Needle sleeve & #04 Angular contact ball bearing, radial.

See link to diagram for details, http://www.rainbowbmw.com/BMWETK/Products/0430_3302510.php

The "play" is detected as previously described, like checking the wheel bearings.

The FD unit needs to be removed from the bike to replace the bearings.

Hopefully it'll be covered under the Insured Warranty & cost me my excess of £100 to get it put right, awaiting a reply, standby.

Please keep us informed of the outcome of this one.

I am always curious to know how extended warranty companies treat problems where something is wearing out (even if it is due to bad/overambitious design) but has not actually failed. I presume you are insured via BMW.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

beemerboy9 wrote:I presume you are insured via BMW.
Yes, I have a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

beemerboy9 wrote:
Please keep us informed of the outcome of this one.

I am always curious to know how extended warranty companies treat problems where something is wearing out (even if it is due to bad/overambitious design) but has not actually failed. I presume you are insured via BMW.

Me too, Not so much bothered about about the warranty claim?, I'd like to know if there's a possibility anythings going to fall off your bike whilst I'm riding behind you!  Image  Image Image
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:I'd like to know if there's a possibility anythings going to fall off your bike whilst I'm riding behind you!
I've been reassured by BMW that nothing is imminently going to drop to bits.

Hopefully, it'll all be fixed for our next ride out on the 21st October 2017, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
Last edited by David. on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread in Adventure Rider, 05 r1200 GS pivot pin bearing replacement, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/0 ... nt.888193/

The bearing part numbers are the same, some interesting photos for reference.