connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
mjjm

connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Post by mjjm »

Dear all,

I have an R 1200 RT LC, my first bike and it is a great ride indeed. I also have the BMW Motorrad Navigator V (software version: "3.40") mounted in it. It indicates that the Bluetooth firmware version is "3.0.11 P32"  I do not have the audio system unfortunately. Now I got the Packtalk headset to mostly to listen to the GPS and to listen to music on the GPS. If I connect it to the computer and go to Cardo Community it indicates that the software version is up to date, currently version "3.2".

The connection is being established between the GPS and the headset; I clearly hear the welcome message but there is a problem with playing music. Sometimes, (more often than not) when I want to listen to the MP3 player (of the GPS),the music just pieces of a very short moments with interference of silence of about a second long or so.  So I just get very short soundbites; then silence, then another soundbite, silence, etc. Of course this completely ruins the joy of listing to music. On longer rides (2hrs+) I have had that the music plays OK at the beginning, but then after a while, the the issue comes up. So far i have not been able to identify any event which coincides with that.

It also happens on a lonely road in the open field with no other devices near by so I don't think it is interference with other devices.

Every time I restart the connection between the two there is a chance that I am lucky that time, but of course I would really like to have this fixed so that it works all the time.

I barely make calls with my headset so that is not really representative I guess, but the few times that I did do it, it worked.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I already removed the two devices and re-connected them as "new" devices, but to no use. Of course I checked if i have the latest software, but as I mentioned above, I think I do.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Maurice

blokeonthemove

Re: connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Post by blokeonthemove »

Only a suggestion, I have a similar setup but my '16 model has audio. If other services are coming over bluetooth ok then maybe try changing the memory card and putting the music on again from source rather than the older memory card.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Post by Casbar »

Again, not much help, but I have the same setup on a 14 bike and also have audio, plus a Pactalk and it all works fine. One thought, do you know anyone who has a 660, that will fit, try that to see if its your device or not, also you could try another Nav V. But if you have audio on the bike like I have, the mp3 player in the Nav is disabled and you have to us a memory stick.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I recently upgraded from a Scala Q3 to a Packtalk and I ran into the same problem. For me the MP3 audio (in my case coming in from the audio system on the bike) would be fine until there was an audio prompt from the Nav V. After that the music becomes broken with increasingly long pauses. Powering the audio system on/off resolves the issue until the next time.

After playing with it for a while I finally disconnected the BT connection between the Packtalk and the Nav V. This has immediately resolved the problem and I now connect my phone directly to the Packtalk. As I mostly navigate using the map the audio prompts from the Nav V are a nice to have to I am okay living without them, although it would nice not to have to!

It's clearly something about how the Packtalk interacts with the Nav V as I didn't have the problem with the Q3. So if you want to pursue the issue I suspect you would need to do so with Scala rather than BMW. If you do find a fix then please post it up as I would be interested.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: I recently upgraded from a Scala Q3 to a Packtalk and I ran into the same problem. For me the MP3 audio (in my case coming in from the audio system on the bike) would be fine until there was an audio prompt from the Nav V. After that the music becomes broken with increasingly long pauses. Powering the audio system on/off resolves the issue until the next time.

After playing with it for a while I finally disconnected the BT connection between the Packtalk and the Nav V. This has immediately resolved the problem and I now connect my phone directly to the Packtalk. As I mostly navigate using the map the audio prompts from the Nav V are a nice to have to I am okay living without them, although it would nice not to have to!

It's clearly something about how the Packtalk interacts with the Nav V as I didn't have the problem with the Q3. So if you want to pursue the issue I suspect you would need to do so with Scala rather than BMW. If you do find a fix then please post it up as I would be interested.

So do you have the radio on your bike, I guess not, because the mp3 player on the Nav V is disabled on my bike. And as I said I have no issue playing music through the audio connection or the radio.
Megamax

Post by Megamax »

Hi Maurice

I am having a similar experience.

My setup
R1200rt LC 2014 - NO audio.
NAV 5 Latest version of software
PACtalk V3.2
Samsung S7

I also get the pulsating sound when playing the MP3 from the NAV 5. I also have not been able to isolate where the issue is.

Recycling the Power on the PACTALK resolves the issue for a while.

But turning off the Pactalk also disturbs the Phone connection to the NAV V due to no A2DP connection and fails to reconnect when the headset reconnects to the NAV 5

Unfortunately, it seems to be related to either a phone call being answered or made, but i have also not been able to make the connection yet....

Its a real PITA, and sometimes after a connection I have to go into the NAV V Bluetooth menu and manually reconnect to the phone....

Any suggestions welcome from here also.

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: So do you have the radio on your bike, I guess not, because the mp3 player on the Nav V is disabled on my bike. And as I said I have no issue playing music through the audio connection or the radio.
Some clarity needed I guess. The Scala devices (like most I guess) can connect to two separate BT devices. On my Q3 I used one of those channels to connect to the audio system on the bike (for music) and the other to connect to the Nav V (for navigation prompts). This worked fine with the music muting whenever a navigation prompt came through and then resuming after a couple of seconds.

When I switched to the PackTalk I initially went with the same setup - one BT channel connected to the audio system and the other to the Nav V. But in this case once the audio is interrupted for a navigation prompt the audio connection is never properly re-established. It cuts in and out, with longer and longer intervals, until I have to reset the audio system.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So I have the same setup with the bike audio, one channel connected to the bike for audio and one connected to the Nav V for nav instructions. Phone is connected to the Nav V. The audio seems to work fine in this setup, but I am not using the Nav V MP3 player.
mjjm

Post by mjjm »

Thank you all for the replies. Didn't expect so much reactions!

I am going to get a newer card. I think it is indeed an old one.

Forgot to note that i have contacted Cardo as well, through their community (http://cardosystems.com/cardo-community/).

However, so far they are less responsive than this forum though..

Will report in once i know more.

Thanks again!

M.
Last edited by mjjm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Your better off emailing Cardo from their tech support page, they always responded to me within a day. Even phoned them once for guidance with my G9, they were quite helpful
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: So I have the same setup with the bike audio, one channel connected to the bike for audio and one connected to the Nav V for nav instructions. Phone is connected to the Nav V. The audio seems to work fine in this setup, but I am not using the Nav V MP3 player.
Is this with a Scala PackTalk?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Is this with a Scala PackTalk?

Yes Packtalk.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote:
Yes Packtalk.
Then that's annoying, as mine most definitely will not work in that configuration. I wonder what's different. Software version maybe? Have you updated the Packtalk to the latest software version or are you running an older one?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Then that's annoying, as mine most definitely will not work in that configuration. I wonder what's different. Software version maybe? Have you updated the Packtalk to the latest software version or are you running an older one?

All on the latest version, do you have a Nav VI because the mp3 player on the Nav V is disabled if you have audio on the bike. Therefore, I am playing music either from the radio or through a memory stick in the glove box. Not from the Nav directly.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote:
All on the latest version, do you have a Nav VI because the mp3 player on the Nav V is disabled if you have audio on the bike. Therefore, I am playing music either from the radio or through a memory stick in the glove box. Not from the Nav directly.
Read back up and you'll see that I clarified this (or I thought I had). I'm not playing MP3 from the Nav V, I'm playing music from the bike's audio system while using the second BT channel to connect to my Nav V for navigation prompts. So it sounds like I have exactly the same setup as you. But for whatever reason it doesn't work for me. Very frustrating.