connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Read back up and you'll see that I clarified this (or I thought I had). I'm not playing MP3 from the Nav V, I'm playing music from the bike's audio system while using the second BT channel to connect to my Nav V for navigation prompts. So it sounds like I have exactly the same setup as you. But for whatever reason it doesn't work for me. Very frustrating.

Yes must be, I traveled all the way back from the Black Forest listening to the music on my memory stick with no interruptions, apart from when my wife was chatting to me.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: connection problems with connection between navigator V and Packtalk re MP3 play

Post by beemerboy9 »

Read back up and you'll see that I clarified this (or I thought I had). I'm not playing MP3 from the Nav V, I'm playing music from the bike's audio system while using the second BT channel to connect to my Nav V for navigation prompts. So it sounds like I have exactly the same setup as you. But for whatever reason it doesn't work for me. Very frustrating.
I'm confused :wonder: [size=2px]by your problem. I don't have a phone connected. I have a Scala Q1 connected to the bike audio and no connection to the Nav5. The navigation prompts from the Nav5 mute the music.
It seems that yours might be a Packtalk-specific issue.
John Bentall
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

beemerboy9 wrote: I'm confused :wonder: by your problem. I don't have a phone connected. I have a Scala Q1 connected to the bike audio and no connection to the Nav5. The navigation prompts from the Nav5 mute the music.
It seems that yours might be a Packtalk-specific issue.

Like I said, I have a Packtalk with no issues. I have my phone connected to the Nav V, then Nav V connected to Packtalk for Nav, and Bike connected for audio through the radio or music from a memory stick.

Also if you just have one connection to the bike (audio) how does the Nav pass instructions if the radio isn't on, because there is no audio connection on my bike until I switch the radio on, that is why you connect with two different channels

Although, are you riding an LC with audio, because on my bike, if I just connect to the bike, I get no Nav from the Nav V, you have to connect two channels from your BT system, unless the manual is wrong and I have been doing it differently.
Last edited by Casbar on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote:
Like I said, I have a Packtalk with no issues. I have my phone connected to the Nav V, then Nav V connected to Packtalk for Nav, and Bike connected for audio through the radio or music from a memory stick.

Also if you just have one connection to the bike (audio) how does the Nav pass instructions if the radio isn't on, because there is no audio connection on my bike until I switch the radio on, that is why you connect with two different channels

Although, are you riding an LC with audio, because on my bike, if I just connect to the bike, I get no Nav from the Nav V, you have to connect two channels from your BT system, unless the manual is wrong and I have been doing it differently.

There is a minor wiring malfunction with your bike - and you are not the only one to suffer by any means judging by what I have read on the internet. The Nav 5 in the cradle should interrupt/mute the radio.
The dealer should fix this.

I do have the audio on to hear the Nav 5 instructions, using the SOURCE setting after the USB (I've forgotten its name) as one scrolls through the options. 
John Bentall
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

beemerboy9 wrote:
There is a minor wiring malfunction with your bike - and you are not the only one to suffer by any means judging by what I have read on the internet. The Nav 5 in the cradle should interrupt/mute the radio.
The dealer should fix this.

I do have the audio on to hear the Nav 5 instructions, using the SOURCE setting after the USB (I've forgotten its name) as one scrolls through the options.

Ok, that makes sense, my audio and Nav V is working fine, I actually have no issues, but because I use the Nav and don't have the audio on, I link with two channels, one to Nav V, the other to the bike for when I switch on the audio. But normally the audio to the bike is off as I like to see the speed in the display and rarely use the audio.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi Richard,

I should have prefaced my last reply by asking whether you had tried the old mute/unmute routine to get the Nav 5 audio to transmit via the radio.

I have a DAB radio on my bike with excellent sound quality when it can pick up a signal, so I listen to audio quite at lot.
John Bentall
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

What DAB are you using, I tried two types on my previous 1600, both were useless. A Dension and a Pure.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm not sure if I have understood correctly some of the above comments? Is it being suggested that on the LC if you are connected via BT to the audio system, and there is no BT connection to the Nav V, then the audio prompts should come through the audio channel? That definitely doesn't happen on my bike.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: I'm not sure if I have understood correctly some of the above comments? Is it being suggested that on the LC if you are connected via BT to the audio system, and there is no BT connection to the Nav V, then the audio prompts should come through the audio channel? That definitely doesn't happen on my bike.

Yes that is what he is saying, so you don't need to connect directly to the Nav V, only the bike, then you have to have the audio on. I haven't tried it, as I just went the BT to Nav and to the bike route with two channels. The only downside I could see is the audio has to be on, so you won't get the digital speedo, which I use a lot. Will have to try and see if that works.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

And guess what, he is correct. I unpaired my Packtalk from the Nav. Switched on the audio from the bike, and setup a simulated route on my Nav V, and the Nav came through to the helmet, tried on radio, usb (memory stick) and aux position and it worked fine.

The only issue I can see, is with no BT connected directly to the Nav V, your phone won't connect to the V as the Nav needs a BT connection for the phone. But if you want phone, just connect with the spare channel to the Packtalk, the Nav V phone bit is flakey anyway.

The other downside is you can't have the digital speedo, but I could probably live without that.

You learn something new everyday :)
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

blokeonthemove wrote: What DAB are you using, I tried two types on my previous 1600, both were useless. A Dension and a Pure.

I use a Dension DAB+U. The Eureka moment was discovering the solution for the aerial. It is DAB-specific stick aerial mounted on the top case abutting the horizontal part of the backrest pad and underneath said pad there are three thick layers of folded aluminium kitchen foil which acts as a groundplane for the aerial (that was the Eureka bit). Getting a good ground plane for a DAB aerial is quite tricky so I understand why BMW do not include DAB as standard.
I had an utterly lousy signal until an ex-TV repairman friend suggested trying the aerial on the lid of a biscuit tin.

John Bentall
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: And guess what, he is correct. I unpaired my Packtalk from the Nav. Switched on the audio from the bike, and setup a simulated route on my Nav V, and the Nav came through to the helmet, tried on radio, usb (memory stick) and aux position and it worked fine.

The only issue I can see, is with no BT connected directly to the Nav V, your phone won't connect to the V as the Nav needs a BT connection for the phone. But if you want phone, just connect with the spare channel to the Packtalk, the Nav V phone bit is flakey anyway.

The other downside is you can't have the digital speedo, but I could probably live without that.

You learn something new everyday :)
That's interesting. To clarify, you have to disable BT entirely from the Navigator? For me that would be a show-stopper as while the phone functionality is not something I would miss, I use the Garmin Live traffic update function from my phone a lot while commuting and that needs the BT connection.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: That's interesting. To clarify, you have to disable BT entirely from the Navigator? For me that would be a show-stopper as while the phone functionality is not something I would miss, I use the Garmin Live traffic update function from my phone a lot while commuting and that needs the BT connection.

Yes, I just unticked the Packtalk on the Nav as a shared bluetooth connection. On the phone front, I pair my phone directly with the Packtalk when riding other bikes, so I wouldn't miss the phone not showing on the Nav.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote:
Yes, I just unticked the Packtalk on the Nav as a shared bluetooth connection. On the phone front, I pair my phone directly with the Packtalk when riding other bikes, so I wouldn't miss the phone not showing on the Nav.

This doesn't sound quite right to me...it ought to be smarter.

The bike doesn't have a microphone. The Nav (mono sound for navigation instructions) and the bike radio are all "one-way" to the rider headset.

Therefore to use the phone, the Navigator must simultaneously support a two-way conversation to the rider headset.

Ergo, the Nav instructions should come via the on-board radio if fitted while the phone conversation is maintained via Bluetooth.

Some owners have had problems with the bike that prevent Nav instructions coming via the radio (assuming the old mute/unmute trick doesn't fix the issue)
John Bentall
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

beemerboy9 wrote:
This doesn't sound quite right to me...it ought to be smarter.

The bike doesn't have a microphone. The Nav (mono sound for navigation instructions) and the bike radio are all "one-way" to the rider headset.

Therefore to use the phone, the Navigator must simultaneously support a two-way conversation to the rider headset.

Ergo, the Nav instructions should come via the on-board radio if fitted while the phone conversation is maintained via Bluetooth.

Some owners have had problems with the bike that prevent Nav instructions coming via the radio (assuming the old mute/unmute trick doesn't fix the issue)

Get the logic, but if you maintain the paired BT headset with the Nav V and the bike, the nav comes over the BT pairing, because it works with the audio off. Therefore if the audio is on, does the Nav instructions stop coming direct to the BT headset via the paired channel and start to come via the audio pairing? If so, then we are back to having to utilise two channels from the BT headset if you want to use the phone connection to the Nav. Or just pair your phone directly to the BT headset and lose the Nav V direct pair to the Headset. Seems like the only option. To use the phone from the Nav V, you need the Nav V paired as well.