Tie down points when using a trailer

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Davcar

Tie down points when using a trailer

Post by Davcar »

Can anyone tell me or send me pictures of the correct tie down points on the R1200RT
Last edited by Davcar on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tie down points when using a trailer

Post by T6pilot »

I believe your owner manual has a diagram showing the tie down points, if you do not have a manual handy, several sites allow you to download it for free
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I just hauled my RT halfway across the states using a U-Haul bike trailer.  The tie down areas are on the forks in the front, just above the cross-brace, being careful not to pinch brake lines or other wiring.  In the rear, connect to the frame just behind the foot pegs.  One tip, always have the straps pulling the bike toward the front of the trailer.  On the rear straps, use the center tie-downs on the trailer if available, not the ones in the rear.  If the straps get into a tug-of-war the just end up fighting each other.  Also, do not leave the bike on the center stand while towing, it puts too much stress on the bolts.  Allow the bikes suspension to deal with all the bumps in the road.

And as T6Pilot points out, this is all in the rider manual, page 103 in mine.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.22.57 PM.png
Last edited by timminator on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

I have found this style of short webbing loops really useful, they keep the hooks of rachet straps way from the bike and they are narrow so they can be feed easily, avoiding brake lines etc.

[size=13px]http://amzn.eu/2o95oWu[/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[attach=1]
Attachments
loops.jpg
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
Davcar

Post by Davcar »

Thanks for that the only part I find confusing is no tension on bike suspension as mentioned.

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Davcar wrote: Thanks for that the only part I find confusing is no tension on bike suspension as mentioned.
It works best if you have someone help you.  Have them sit on the bike and balance it while you tighten the straps.  Once they step off, the straps will naturally tighten up a bit.  They need to be tight, but don't over-do it.  Remember, the bike's suspension is holding the weight.  The straps are really just balancing the bike, the same way your legs do at a stop light.
BMW MOA #210438
Davcar

Post by Davcar »

Ok thanks, I will try it this weekend.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Every new bike comes crated to dealer, at least a half dozen straps secure the bike in the crate. My dealer was more than happy to give me a bunch of these straps at no cost, they have worked quite well when necessary to trailer one of my bikes
Jim
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

OP what makes this simple is using a wheel chock on your trailer, that is secured to the trailer deck. Once the front wheel is securely in the chock securing the front end is easy. The point of force of the tie down is on a fixed, non sprung area. Once the front end is secure you really only need minor force on the rear of the bike. With a wheel chock I use 3 tie downs, 2 in front 1 on the rear tire. 500 plus miles with two bikes on a 14 foot trailer, no issues, no movement.
Ganesh

Post by Ganesh »

Watching the delivery guys at the dealers loading the bikes they always put them on the side stand on full lock and pull down to it. The only difference I notice is if they use a unit with tyre tracks in which the front wheel locks in place and they pull down both sides. My challenge, getting the RT into a friends horsebox she needed collecting.
Attachments
20160916_151822.jpg
thanks and regards, Ganesh