Can't adjust the brightness level of display while riding...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mptpro
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
Germany

Can't adjust the brightness level of display while riding...

Post by mptpro »

BMW R1200RT 2016

Apparently, one can't adjust the brightness level of display while riding... I can adjust the heated seats/grips, I can even pair a bluetooth device while riding, but I have to be idle and in neutral to adjust the screen brightness.  This is a hassle as I often ride at a time of day when it changes from daylight to night.

My dealership posited that it is a "safety" issue, but again, I can adjust many other settings while moving. My 2006 R1200RT allowed to do this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Can't adjust the brightness level of display while riding...

Post by Our Gee »

One has to ask the question as to just why would you want to carry out the above adjustment whilst riding. I do appreciate that we are all different and do have our own quirks, requirements and expectations but personally I only ever adjusted the light level of all the vehicles I have ever owned once, if at all, and that was probably shortly after taking ownership. Your dealer is probably right in saying that "it's a safety issue".
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

{sigh}
It's very simple. I'm riding while it's light outside so the brightness level is at 100%.  As dusk occurs I want to change the brightness level to zero so it's not too bright. The adjustment is very simple, easy and quick just using the "controller ring" on the left handlebar - no more complicated or dangerous than turning on the heat seaters or hand grips heaters, or adjusting the volume  or changing channels of the radio (which is arguably more cumbersome because you have to reach down to the left and take you hands off the handlebars). 

If you haven't done it before on the new RTs, changing the brightness doesn't require much "movement" of the thumb than engaging the turn signals - BMW just doesn't let you do it while riding. Personally, I believe it is an oversight, because as stated in my OP, they actually allow you to pair a bluetooth device while riding and even changing the suspension, but not the birghtness?!?

It's not like one is is taking one's hand off of the handlebar and reaching over to the display and pressing buttons or twisting knobs (which is the way it was on my 2006 RT).
Last edited by mptpro on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is the brightness of the Instrument Panel lighting adjustable, the 2016 Rider's Manual (page 18) suggests not.

Within the Instrument Panel, there is an, "Ambient-light brightness sensor (for adapting the brightness of the instrument lighting)."

NOTICE
"The brightness of the warning lights and telltale lights, the display and the instrument needle and gauge lighting is adapted automatically to suit ambient brightness."
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure which manual you're looking at but for the 2016 R 1200 RT page 16 says nothing about the brightness level. I've had the bike since November 2016 and believe me the brightness is manually adjustable under user settings I can take a picture tomorrow
Attachments
Screenshot_20171021-014728.png
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this link to a Rider's Manual, https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10712 ... =59#manual

On page 57, is does mention, "Brightness of the display and the instruments", and using the "Multi-Controller, to make the desired adjustments".

Sorry for any confusion, perhaps the quote on page 18 refers to a sensor that switches the instrument lighting from "day to night" mode.
The brightness being set manually by the rider via the Multi-controller.

"With the exception of the Audio area, the Settings menu can only be called with the motorcycle at a standstill".
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Finally I "think" I am understanding your problem mptpro. Obviously the 2016 must have a different dash lighting set up to previous RT's. So then is it that the dash lighting is automatically at 100% during daylight conditions and if so, "why". Why do you need the dash to be illuminated at all during daylight ?. Presumably your 2006 RT was the same as my 2013 Twincam where the dash automatically lights up as the ambient light decreases such as when entering a tunnel and the level of light intensity de-faults to the level previously set by the rider using the fiddly to use buttons as you described. If indeed the latest system is as you describe in that the light level de-faults to maximum and requires the rider to adjust this to his personal requirement every trip then it does seem like a backward step.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I can indeed concur that on a 2012 Twin Cam, the Instrument Panel lighting can be adjusted (dimmed) on the move.

Once the dimmer is set at 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100%, it remains at the desired level when the ignition is switched off & back on again.

Is this not the case on the latest Wethead RT's.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

Thanks "David" and "Our Gee" for your responses.

I agree it is a step backwards, or possible an oversight in the programming. It's really a pain to have to pull over when I'm already on the highway and it begins to get dusk and the screen is too bright. 

The opposite happens to me a lot as well, meaning I have the brightness set to 0 when I come home and night. Then, when I leave in the morning I forget about the darkened instrument panel until I'm well underway - and I have to pull over (my home is right next to the highway, so often I'm actualy already on the highway before I notice it).

Anyway, I was hoping there was something I was missing....

thanks
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sounds like once the brightness of the screen is set, it remains set until manual intervention by the rider.

It doesn't change/default to a factory setting when the ignition is switched off/on, seems to make sense.

Perhaps the answer is to set the brightness for riding at night & let the auto ambient-light sensor switch between day & night mode.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

Thanks. 
I've never seen the ambient brightness work. Once the LCD screen is set, it stays at that brightness. Even my dealership stated that there was no ambient brightness on the RTs (but there is on the LT). And, the lowest brightness setting is much too low for daytime. It's better to have full brightness and deal with it at night.

thanks again for all your input.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'm puzzled now, if the brightness can be adjusted during normal daylight, does this mean the screen is illuminated all the time.

If so, what is the purpose of the auto ambient-light sensor, #4 in this diagram, https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10712 ... =20#manual

Another example is auto headlights on a car, there is a sensor on the dashboard, put the car away in the garage during daylight hours & the lights come on until the ignition is switched off.
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

Yes, the brightness can be adjusted during daytijme (from 0 to 4). The display is "always on" as it is lcd, except for the speed and rpm gauges, which are backlit (maybe the sensor is for them).

I have never noticed the LCD or guages change brightness without me manually adjusting it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

That would seem to explain it, the brightness of the LCD display is being adjusted manually, not that which is switched by the auto ambient-light sensor.

"The brightness of the warning lights and telltale lights, the display and the instrument needle and gauge lighting is adapted automatically to suit ambient brightness."

Thanks for clarifying the situation.
mptpro
Germany

Post by mptpro »

Yup, I agree.

I shot a 30 second video that demonstrates changing the brightness while idle (it doesn't look like the brightness changes much in the video, but in the real-world it is significant)

Notice, at the end of the video, when I begin moving the option goes away...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AHqBVOv7F00CtJ4I2