R1200RT LC - First MOT today - Still love it!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

R1200RT LC - First MOT today - Still love it!

Post by RTs4me »

Well, I had my 2014 LC MOT'd today for the first time (it's due at the end of October) and it passed without any problems. It was ACF'd from day 1 and I try to keep it clean and tidy. There is some surface corrosion on the centrestand crossbar and a small paint flake off the bottom of the engine case, which I suspect was caused by a stone chip. Other than that, it's perfect.

This is the first bike for a while that I've kept for more than three years. I don't think that there's any good reason to change it just yet. It does everything I want. Handles well, fast, comfortable, economical. What's not to like?!

I tried the 2017 model with the newer transmission, as a loaner, when mine was last in for a service. It was a good bike, but I can't justify the extra £6K-ish that would be needed to change bikes. I think I'll stick with mine for the foreseeable future. If there's a 'Final Edition' model I might go for that, otherwise wait for the all-new (1250cc with VVT?) model. It will need to be something special to supercede the LC.
Levisp

Re: R1200RT LC - First MOT today - Still love it!

Post by Levisp »

I'm with you on that one. My 2014 LC had its first MOT in September and all was good. Like yours mines in perfect condition except for centre stand horizontal bar and a ding on the righthand exhaust header caused by a stone. Got 26.5K on it now and its running very sweet. Like you I see no reason to shell out a lot of money for basically the same bike ! Don't think my dealer likes me very much. I'll wait for the next really big change.

What beats me is that BMW obviously don't read forums or simply don't care. As far as I'm aware the latest model still has the same issues (mostly minor) that mines has. Maybe someone with the latest 2017 bike could answer the following:
1) Is the Satnav lockable ?
2) Can the digital speed be switched to read both mph / kph ?
3) Can the auto retract windscreen be turned off for cleaning ?
4) Does non audio bikes have righthand fairing locker ?
5) Does the bike still scare grannies when selecting 1st gear ?
6) Does centre stand horizontal bar lose all paint within 6 months ?
7) Does the switch gear still feel its got sand in it ?

When all the above is fixed I may consider upgrade. No just kidding  ;)

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I'm very please dwith my Sept 2014 also with 25k on the clock.
I considered changing for a 2017 (8) model but decided the cost wa snot worth the small advantages.
Have I missed something?
I haven't heard about a new 1250cc model with VVT.
Any info on this available?
:)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Aah, no firm announcement yet, as far as I am aware. There's been a few rumours on the internet and in the magazines. Such as:

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bmw-r1200gs- ... ng-1729844

The GS seems to always be the first model to receive any updates, with the RT following about a year or so later.