2017 BMW R1200RT US Pricing???

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jrporter

2017 BMW R1200RT US Pricing???

Post by jrporter »

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new 2017 R1200RT from a dealer and was wondering what a good price would be. FWIW the dealer has 3 or 4 of this model. I'm pretty good at negotiating automobile purchases but getting the best deal on an expensive motorcycle is outside my knowledge base. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm in Virginia. Thanks...
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2017 BMW R1200RT US Pricing???

Post by timminator »

In my experience, they will move very little (if any) on price.  Depends partly on how many dealers you have in the area, and whether they are in competition for your business.  I paid list price on my 2016 RT in Portland.  The only other dealer at the time was in Eugene, 2 hours away and owned by the same family.

What you can do, however, is insist on extras.  For example, have them throw in the run-in service, and even the 6K service at no cost.  Try to get some cylinder guards maybe.

Good luck!
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

My last bike got $500 off list plus the following, first responder rebate from Bmw
Check they are offering first responder, military or MSF rebates
Also got 600 mile run in service free $230 saved. Additionally discount on any accessories perched in first 60 days
Jim
ITB

Post by ITB »

Last few days of the month are the deal-making days at most dealerships, especially the last slow weekday.

If you can't get a lot of cash off the price ask for accessories you may want like a Nav or installed LED fog lights, and/or that the 600-mi service be included (and make sure it's noted on your bill of sale).

If you're a BMWCCA member there's a $400 rebate.

In Virginia check out Morton's. Whatever deal you end up with they also issue Rewards points on the sale worth several hundred dollars toward future accessory/parts purchases.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

It's very difficult in the UK to negotiate deals in BMW dealerships and it's probably why residual values of BMs are better than most other manufacturers. The best you get are offers on accessories and clothing.

I paid list price for my recently acquired RT, but received a very good price on my Kawasaki PX. However, even that was probably because the dealership I used is part of a large group who sell other marques.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

sorry Pickaxe but i totally disagree, Got a very good deal on mine. Partly because right dealer at right time and Partly because was genuinely going to buy second hand so to seal deal made they me an offer I couldn't refuse. At the end of the day any business needs to sell to make money so there is always a deal unless they cant keep up with demand.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BoB21 wrote: sorry Pickaxe but i totally disagree, Got a very good deal on mine. Partly because right dealer at right time and Partly because was genuinely going to buy second hand so to seal deal made they me an offer I couldn't refuse. At the end of the day any business needs to sell to make money so there is always a deal unless they cant keep up with demand.

Always a deal to be had, even with BMW bikes. The key is the price to change, if you have a part ex, you either get a better deal on the px or if cash a discount. All dealers will take a px and either keep within a group or offer to their trade contacts. Key is also time of year or end of month when they need to shift units
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I have two popular dealers near to me so played one off against the other. I took a written quote from the first straight to the other and they beat it instantly, and threw In a free Nav V! I think you have to be quite assertive and remember if you don't ask you don't get!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Free Nav is a winner  8)
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Free servicing is always a good avenue to explore when you have 99% deal done.

I got a great price on my 17reg and at the last moment I asked for 2 free services.
The sales bloke by this time just wanted my signature and agreed, stating the service department will invoice sales internally and they have a budget for it.

guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Casbar wrote:
Always a deal to be had, even with BMW bikes. The key is the price to change, if you have a part ex, you either get a better deal on the px or if cash a discount. All dealers will take a px and either keep within a group or offer to their trade contacts. Key is also time of year or end of month when they need to shift units

Probably my poor negotiation skills. On paper, I got 7K for an 18 month old Kawasaki Versys 1000 with almost 10K on the clock and some discount on accessories. They had to factory order my new bike which took over 2 months to arrive, so it wasn't as if they'd got loads to sell.

I've bought two other new BMs in the past, in 2004 one of the first 1200 GSs which were in short supply and two years later a 1200RT, when one dealer refused to throw in a top case and a second dealership reluctantly agreed to get the sale.

On the flip side, Japanese motorcycle dealerships as well as Triumph seem to offer huge discounts and or finance benefits when they over produce or want to get rid of last years models.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi Pickaxe
Not saying there is anything wrong with your negotiating. You're happy with the deal you got and not doubt still enjoying the bike.

The more info on deals and what the dealerships do give away the better, more money in the forum members pockets instead of dealerships.

BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I should have mentioned that I worked for 7 years as door to door sales and learnt a few things about sales /negotiations..
jrporter

Post by jrporter »

ITB wrote:

In Virginia check out Morton's. Whatever deal you end up with they also issue Rewards points on the sale worth several hundred dollars toward future accessory/parts purchases.

Going there tomorrow. I bought my '01 R1150GS at Mortons....
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Good luck hope you get a good deal