Sounds like pinking?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Old-Git

Sounds like pinking?

Post by Old-Git »

Elsie sounds like she is pinking at between 2 - 4k revs. Dropped it into my dealers yesterday, they said it's a balancer shaft in the valve gear out of tolerance, has been the subject of a recall - anyone heard of this?

The reason this isn't in the probs section is that I was offered a GSA or K16 as a courtesy bike for a few days while the parts come in, but plumped for a C650 GT. Wondred what other people think of maxi scoots?
Not sure if this link to a photo will work https://photos.app.goo.gl/TxfJfohkQKueH7xI3

Cheers

Nick
guest4915

Re: Sounds like pinking?

Post by guest4915 »

Pinking, that's a term from the past for us oldies. I've always thought the RT sounds a bit like it's pinking when under load and just put it down to characteristics.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking back at some threads on this Forum, suggest that, on some LC's, the valve timing needed adjusting.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

The one I test rode didn't do it at all, mechs have said mine's the worst they have heard, but if it's mechanical  and fixed under warranty that's got to be better than running lean....
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I did approx 100 miles on the scoot today, goes really well, very comfortable and pretty good handling. A little uninvolving and you have to plan overtakes, but overall not half bad.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Forgot to post this, but the cure was to replace both cylinder heads under warranty.....
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Good result  8)