Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' App

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
guest4915

Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' App

Post by guest4915 »

Having just purchased one, am I correct in thinking that the 'My Motorcycle' app is still inaccessible on the Garmin/BMW Nav 6, when paired to the latest model RT? I just can't see  BMWs logic when it's  available to GS users and many  complaints have been raised by RT owners.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' App

Post by smileymiley »

My Nav 5, used on '14 RT, When  put on my '16 MY17 RT brings up all the 'My Motorcycle' stuff. Didn't have to alter any settings just did it all by itself!

Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

The functionality is definitely there on the Euro 4 spec LC (so 2017 MY and onward). I brought my Nav V over from a LC GS and it worked just as well on the new bike as on the old. If you are not getting it then you need to have a chat with the dealer.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I asked my dealer about this a couple of weeks ago, when I was looking at new RTs. He said it was down to the model of Nav vi, depends when it was built, which seems a load of rubbish is Nav Vs work
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Casbar wrote: I asked my dealer about this a couple of weeks ago, when I was looking at new RTs. He said it was down to the model of Nav vi, depends when it was built, which seems a load of rubbish is Nav Vs work
Indeed. I wonder if this functionality might be available for earlier MY bikes with a software update by the Dealer??
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
DeltaBravo
Bike Model and Year: BMW RT1200
United States of America

Post by DeltaBravo »

My NAV VI works just fine on my 2017 RT.  I ride with it most of the time, unless I don't know where I'm going, then I have the map showing.  My Motorcycle is located in the Apps and is one page down from home page.  HTH

Dennis
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Interesting comments and because mine is the latest model year RT with a recently purchased Nav 6, which I updated before fitting, I wrongly expected this feature to be there?

It would be nice to assume that the feature could be easily 'switched on' through a dealer software tweak on the bike itself, but perhaps that's a bit too much to expect. :(
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

It has never worked on my LC built in late 2016, with a Nav V. I have taken it up twice with my dealer (Vines of Guildford) and got nowhere despite calls by them to BMW and "at least five other dealers". I put the Nav V on a GS and the app came on so its not the unit itself. I think it must be down to software state of the bike but like I say I can't get to bottom of it! Previously on this forum its been stated that it'll only work on 2017 spec bikes (distinguishable by having the reflector on the forks)  and it would be great if someone does discover what the facts are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

B787MECH wrote: It has never worked on my LC built in late 2016, with a Nav V. I have taken it up twice with my dealer (Vines of Guildford) and got nowhere despite calls by them to BMW and "at least five other dealers". I put the Nav V on a GS and the app came on so its not the unit itself. I think it must be down to software state of the bike but like I say I can't get to bottom of it! Previously on this forum its been stated that it'll only work on 2017 spec bikes (distinguishable by having the reflector on the forks)  and it would be great if someone does discover what the facts are!

Do you have the app and it doesn't work or not present on the device?
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Pickaxe wrote: Do you have the app and it doesn't work or not present on the device?
I don't have the app on the Nav V but it comes on when I put it on a GS.

guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

I've got the dealer on the case, so fingers crossed for a more definitive answer.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

My understanding is that the 'My Motorcycle' app, and the related integration functionality, was introduced for the 2017MY / Euro4 bikes. So if you have an earlier bike (no reflectors on the forks) then it won't work. I suppose it's possible that there are some bikes out there that date from the transition between the 2016MY and 2017MY and have some legacy components in them? Certainly I can't see there being any issue related to the Nav unit, whether it be a V or a VI. I cannot imagine Garmin producing two different versions, one without the 'My Motorcycle' app, especially as this has been part of their standard software since 2013.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

The dealers going to update me on Thursday, after they've tried a Nav 6 on some of their stock bikes and I'll report back. I'm just surprised it hasn't been more of an issue for the dealerships in the past.
Paggers, your bike (unless it's a GS in RT clothing :) ), seems to suggest it shouldn't be a massive problem to overcome
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

I called into the dealer today and they tried another Nav 6 in my bike, and as predicted, no 'My Motorcycle' app. Therefore the motorcycle itself is the problem.

BMW are still looking into it and will update me shortly via the dealer. So, I'd imagine it's either a straightforward software update that BMW may, or may not be prepared to do, or a hardware difference that may be more of a problem.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So did the my motorcycle app appear on the dealers stock then?