1200 RT Pulls when brakes applied in a turn

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Bluecomet
Has liked: 13 times

1200 RT Pulls when brakes applied in a turn

Post by Bluecomet »

Hi all, new to this forum and need a little help please.  I'm looking to buy a 2013 R1200RT and test rode it today.  I noticed that when I applied the brake lever (linked system) in a turn running about 35 mph the bike tried to straighten up and pulled to the direction opposite of the curve.  Specifically, applying the brakes in a left-hand turn resulted in the bike pulling to the right.  Very strange and very concerning.  I know it did this on a left-hand turn and THINK that it did it to some degree on a right-hand turn as well.  Is this normal for this bike????  Thanks for any and all answers and advice on moving forward with this purchase.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 1200 RT Pulls when brakes applied in a turn

Post by David. »

Is it possible that pressure, either pushing or pulling (countersteering) of the handlebars is occurring whilst applying the front brake.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecomet

Post by Bluecomet »

That would certainly cause it David but I don't think so.  I've ridden for years and never experienced that before.  My current is a R1200GS so I am familiar with BMW brakes.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Having rode RT,s for a number of years now I can't say that I have ever noticed the condition that Blucomet describes to an extent that it would bother me. Having said that, in my experience lots of bikes I have owned do/did have a "sit-up" condition when applying the brakes in a corner to a lesser or greater degree. The effect was so minor in the majority of cases that I probably subconsciously applied corrective inputs. The worst offender was a Guzzi 1100 Sport I owned. That would "sit up" most markedly and was quite concerning at first. However, I have never experienced the "pulling to the opposite direction" as Bluecomet describes. There again as Bluecomet does have experience of riding other BMW.s this can't really be put down to "someone new to the marque" and the quirky suspension design so perhaps the way to go would be to have a friend with BMW experience who could ride the same bike and give a trusted second opinion.
This is probably a different situation to that described by Bluecomet but I'll include it just for interest. I regularly ride a local road where a steep downhill section (40/50 mph) comes to a very sharp right hand 2nd gear down hill hairpin bend resulting in heavily loading the front. Over the years a number of riders have come a cropper at this point and failed to make the turn ending up in a generally slow speed "get off". With the RT I find that the best technique is to get the braking done well before the bike is leaned into the bend with just a smidge of back brake applied as the bend is negotiated. The funny thing is that it does take a deliberate effort to get the bike to turn so in my earlier BMW days I must say that I thought there was something wrong with my bike.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The behaviour described by Bluecomet can be dependent on the brand of tyre (some brands are more prone to this than others) and their wear profiles.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Test ride another 2013 R1200RT and see what that does.

My 2012 TC doesn't "stand-up" in corners when applying the front brake.
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

From a physics perspective front braking in a curve will always cause a bike to 'stand up' a bit; I think we all instinctively counteract that with throttle or steering input. I also came to the RT from a GS and it does handle differently, having a fair bit more top weight. It also has a lot more weight over the front wheel than the GS does so front braking is going to have a more noticeable effect.

As suggested above, ride another RT and see if you are getting the same sensation. If so, then it's just you feeling the difference in weight distribution and CG compared with the GS and it is something you will very quickly get used to. If not, then obviously there is something off with the bike you test rode.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Don't forget the shaft drive effect, close throttle quickly and it's arse will lift up thus getting the bike to sit up slightly and higher c of g = less turning.
Gun it and arse down, lower c of g.

Best not to brake at all whilst steering, shovel excess speed off before entering the bend😀
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You can brake in bends if your gentle, but realistically not good practice. So my answer would be - don't use the front brake in bends  8)
Bluecomet

Post by Bluecomet »

Thanks a million for all your input.  Apparently my 1200GS brakes have allowed me to develop a bad habit or two in regards to taking a turn.  I noticed pronto that the brakes on the RT I experienced this "rising up" with are far more sensitive and than mine.  In fact, mine have been a bit "squishy" early in applying them ever since the dealer did a recall on brake lines.  Makes it really easy to apply a small amount of braking with moderate pressure.  My normal "slow down a little in the corner" pressure was apparently enough to upset the geometry of the better braking RT.  Also, I REALLY appreciate the corning advice and will take it to heart.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Bluecomet wrote: Thanks a million for all your input.  Apparently my 1200GS brakes have allowed me to develop a bad habit or two in regards to taking a turn.  I noticed pronto that the brakes on the RT I experienced this "rising up" with are far more sensitive and than mine.  In fact, mine have been a bit "squishy" early in applying them ever since the dealer did a recall on brake lines.  Makes it really easy to apply a small amount of braking with moderate pressure.  My normal "slow down a little in the corner" pressure was apparently enough to upset the geometry of the better braking RT.  Also, I REALLY appreciate the corning advice and will take it to heart.
Don't feel bad. I was quite surprised at how lazy riding the GS had made me - when I moved over to the RT it really showed up some deficiencies in my riding. As well as working on them myself I also did an IAM RoadSmart advanced riding course to get myself back up to spec. I'm much more comfortable on the RT now.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Glad you seemed to have sorted out the problem, glad to hear it wasn't a mechanical issue (bike wise). Agree with earlier comments about getting all the braking done before you get to the corner unless you have the full abs and traction control that allows it. Bikes as with cars like to be settled before tipping into a corner as breaking during unbalances it and causes all sorts of discomfort, particularly with the weather deteriorating, tractor debris and slimy leaves this time of year all adding to the wonders of getting round corners.
Although one observation is that the RT seems to dislike squared off front tyres as it falls into the corner and need to yank back quite hard to straighten up, very disconcerting.
thanks and regards, Ganesh