HI Folks

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest5111

HI Folks

Post by guest5111 »

Hi everyone. I've come Back2TheBike after a 37 year break. My last machine was a clapped-out FS1E in 1980. This was preceded by a Honda PC50, Suzuki GT185, Honda 250 Dream, Suzuki GS550 then the Fizzie. After a few years of picking up an occasional bike magazine I've taken the plunge and bought myself a 16-plate SE with 3500 miles on the clock.

I've posted my Back2TheBike 'process' on youtube, 5 videos starting here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h0g0zU ... =1&t=1116s. I did tons of research, a back to biking course, then test rode 4 bikes over a week to make the final decision. Interestingly, the RT was the easiest to ride, with the biggest road presence, and most safety aids.

As a 58 year old, I needed a new project to get my teeth into, and some new horizons.

The journey begins.
Taz

Re: HI Folks

Post by Taz »

Welcome back, hope you enjoy the freedom, exhilaration and individuality.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Harlequin

Post by Harlequin »

Welcome!
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Welcome, great bike to choose for your journey, if it's the fast blue you had better take it easy  :)) :)) :)) 
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Welcome on board - its an amazing bike
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

What camera do you use in your videos?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Welcome back to biking. You might want to consider some advanced training, either IAM or ROSPA, it will be worth the effort.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, glad to know there are others getting back to bikes when they are closer to 60 than 40. I got my licence in '73 on a BSA C15 which I rode for 3 years all over the country. Short period with a company Honda CB250 in '77 after which I stopped riding. Took it up again in 2013 on a CBF1000 which I changed for the RT in 2015 which has now covered 16k with me. The commute dropped last year from about 400 miles a week to about 100 now.
I agree with Casbar, worth looking at the extra training a good intro is the Ridesafe programme.
Happy and safe riding.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Welcome enjoyed your videos and found many similarities with my own search for new bike begging of year. got mine in march and already clocked over 10000 miles and loving it. With weather protection and heating even English bike year is longer. Advanced course is well worth effort to get more experience/confidence and social aspect as well. Enjoy and hope you can make meet next year. 
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Gman1969 wrote: What camera do you use in your videos?

Thanks for all the kind messages folks. Looking forward t getting to know you all, learning and sharing. What camera? I use the Drift Ghost S. I preferred the low profile shape to the GoPro, less wind noise, more discrete and a fraction of the price. Simple to attach the mike too. So far it has performed really well.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Ganesh wrote: Hi, glad to know there are others getting back to bikes when they are closer to 60 than 40. I got my licence in '73 on a BSA C15 which I rode for 3 years all over the country. Short period with a company Honda CB250 in '77 after which I stopped riding. Took it up again in 2013 on a CBF1000 which I changed for the RT in 2015 which has now covered 16k with me. The commute dropped last year from about 400 miles a week to about 100 now.
I agree with Casbar, worth looking at the extra training a good intro is the Ridesafe programme.
Happy and safe riding.

Hi Casbar / Ganesh, thanks for the advice. Yes, that's the plan. I'm off to Motorcycle Live next week and will chat with the IAM folks. That said, I still need to get to know the bike, so have built myself a syllabus covering roadcraft, R1200RT controls, handling skills, comms/nav and maintenance. Like I say on the videos, literally everything is new!
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

BoB21 wrote: Welcome enjoyed your videos and found many similarities with my own search for new bike begging of year. got mine in march and already clocked over 10000 miles and loving it. With weather protection and heating even English bike year is longer. Advanced course is well worth effort to get more experience/confidence and social aspect as well. Enjoy and hope you can make meet next year.

The social aspect is wonderful. Every biker I've met so far has been more than generous with their advice, eager to help.