Daylight Pro - What is it?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest5111

Daylight Pro - What is it?

Post by guest5111 »

I bought a 16 plate RT SE a couple of weeks ago. It came with various options including running lights and 'daylight pro'. I understand the running lights, those twin 'owl-like' eyes that come on automatically with the ignition, but can't work out what 'daylight pro' is. My assumption was that the headlight should come on automatically with the engine, and sometimes it does, however, when I get to the end of a ride, it sometimes has switched itself off. I sure the problem is my lack of understanding of my new bike, but can someone pleas explain how the darn thing works?  :-\

Also, is there any way of overriding it so the headlight is always on?
guest2360

Re: Daylight Pro - What is it?

Post by guest2360 »

Auto headlight switch on is what it is.  There is a button on the bar to switch it off then your dipped beams come on .  All in the handbook.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks for that. I'm reading the manual, honestly! So presumably there's a light sensor somewhere on the machine?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I find it works really well - you've always got the LED "angel eyes" to make sure you can be seen, and as soon as ambient light drops dipped beam comes on. 
It is possible to bring the dipped beam on, but the less it's on the longer the bulb should last, which is a major plus for me since BMW changed from two dipped beam bulbs and one main beam to one dipped and two main. And they're still a pain to change.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

So it sounds like something you just forget about, and let the bike manage it?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Back2TheBike wrote: So it sounds like something you just forget about, and let the bike manage it?
That's what I do, so that's what I would recommend  ;D
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

gogs01 wrote: That's what I do, so that's what I would recommend  ;D

If it's good enough for you, that's fine for me be Thanks for the input.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

One word of caution. It doesn’t work in fog,unless it’s foggy and dark if course.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks for that, although I don't take her out in fog. Looking at the bike, she does seem vulnerable from the rear in the sense that there isn't a lot of light from the red LED cluster,, say if needed in fog or poor vis. I wonder if anyone has modified their machine to address this?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: Thanks for that, although I don't take her out in fog. Looking at the bike, she does seem vulnerable from the rear in the sense that there isn't a lot of light from the red LED cluster,, say if needed in fog or poor vis. I wonder if anyone has modified their machine to address this?

I have fitted LED running and brake lights which are over the number plate. You have to be careful when fitting extra lights, due to getting them to work with the Canbus. I fitted Skene P3 lights, imported from the States, they wire in easily and are very good. https://www.skenelights.com

There is a box you can fit into the bike to run extra lights etc its called the Hex EZ Can, but its quite expensive, but lots run cameras, lights etc off the box, which connects directly to the bike via a plug
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

The EzCan is on my radar, seems a sensible thing to fit to wire into the Canbus. Thanks for the tip. Again!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Back2TheBike wrote: Thanks for that, although I don't take her out in fog. Looking at the bike, she does seem vulnerable from the rear in the sense that there isn't a lot of light from the red LED cluster,, say if needed in fog or poor vis. I wonder if anyone has modified their machine to address this?
I specified the high level brake light to be fitted to the top box when I ordered my bike.  I think that helps.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I specified the high level brake light to be fitted to the top box when I ordered my bike.  I think that helps.

Only if you run around with the top box on all the time. I don't I only put the trunk on if my wife is coming touring with me.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Anyone found a supplier of the EzCan in the UK?

Or do we have to buy the denali that nippynorman sells?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Only if you run around with the top box on all the time. I don't I only put the trunk on if my wife is coming touring with me.
Good point. I do leave the top box on all the time. It takes a little longer to fit and remove due to the cable for the brake light too ! ;D