Learning the RT #3 - Winter Sun, SatNav & Roundabouts/HGV's

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Learning the RT #3 - Winter Sun, SatNav & Roundabouts/HGV's

Post by guest5111 »

Another in my diary of learning the RT. A trip to the dealer to fix a scratched wing mirror, with reflections on managing glare from the winter sun, negotiating roundabouts with HGV's, and chatting about the satnav. Simple stuff.
Here's the link ... https://youtu.be/6f8WKRxobL8
Last edited by guest5111 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blokeonthemove

Re: Learning the RT #3 - Winter Sun, SatNav & Roundabouts/HGV's

Post by blokeonthemove »

Good Video.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

blokeonthemove wrote: Good Video.
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Enjoying your vids!  Quick question on the Garmin app:  Does it drain the phone battery quickly?
Cheers
Kevin
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

No. doesn't seem to. It runs all the time on my Lg G5 Android and I haven't noticed any higher drain. I don't use all of the apps features, but it provides a useful conduit for the SatNav to access traffic and weather.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Again nice video . Regards winter sun cant really do much about it but try dropping sun visor down a little way (if your helmet allows) also try tilting head forward, depending on helmet and how high sun is, you may find you can use  the helmet shell above visor aperture as sun shield if that makes sense. similar to your suggestion of putting chin bar up but a lot warmer!!
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

BoB21 wrote: Again nice video . Regards winter sun cant really do much about it but try dropping sun visor down a little way (if your helmet allows) also try tilting head forward, depending on helmet and how high sun is, you may find you can use  the helmet shell above visor aperture as sun shield if that makes sense. similar to your suggestion of putting chin bar up but a lot warmer!!
Cheers for that. I think it rather shocked me the first time it happened as i lost my view so suddenly. Maybe we just ride west in the morning and east in the afternoon?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

That would depend on where you live. Not ideal from lands end.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

My ride to work and back is into the sun in both directions for a fair few miles. At certan times of the year it is just off the horizon and stright down the road. Not having a peak on the helmet as on the off-road units, it sometimes works if I lift the visor to act as shade gets a bit nippy this time of year or in extreme conditions use my hand. Neither particularly statisfactory. The drop down sun visor on the summer ones works to a point only if both visors are clean.
The worst is the brilliant sunshine into almost pitch black tree sections, have to run with the visor up for those. Even then it gets a bit tricky through the corners, ended up using an alternative route to avoid it.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Ganesh wrote: My ride to work and back is into the sun in both directions for a fair few miles. At certan times of the year it is just off the horizon and stright down the road. Not having a peak on the helmet as on the off-road units, it sometimes works if I lift the visor to act as shade gets a bit nippy this time of year or in extreme conditions use my hand. Neither particularly statisfactory. The drop down sun visor on the summer ones works to a point only if both visors are clean.
The worst is the brilliant sunshine into almost pitch black tree sections, have to run with the visor up for those. Even then it gets a bit tricky through the corners, ended up using an alternative route to avoid it.
Agree with all that Ganesh. The key is to move house, so you travel west in the morning and east in the evening ?  :))  Would people laugh if RT rides wore a peak? A traffic cop mentioned to me the ability to forward plan, so anticipating where the 'blindness' is going to hit, and if all else fails, the need to slow right down whilst being aware cars behind to may be puzzled and / or frustrated. It's particularly hard though isn't it when there is a gleam on the road surface so you get hit from up and down vision.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Some riders add a strip of black insulation tape to the top of their  visor
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

You might also look at http://helmetsunblocker.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

pkpilot wrote: You might also look at http://helmetsunblocker.com

Exportman/PKPilot simple but effective! Thanks.