Warranty outcome

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ricwolt

Warranty outcome

Post by Ricwolt »

Hi there
Bad News and Good news
I had an issue with my new 1200RTLC which I bought new in April this year.
The steering was tight and the bike  was hard to handle at low speeds (20-30 kph or less)
Dealer technician: Just give it a bit of time, it will loosen up!
I gave it some time- rode the bike for a day without the steering damper to see if that was the problem.(it wasn't)

On Sept 23,After 2000 km I gave to bike back to the dealer.
Have been there many times and still no better.
After hearing a lot of explanation from the "mechanic's" I decided that after 9 weeks I had had enough

I wrote to BMW and quoted my warranty booklet which states that I am entitles to a refund or replacement for a major fault.
(In my book this is not  major fault, but apparently for the "technicians " it is.)
I sent my 5 month running report of phone calls and conversations plus a letter to BMW. (I can post them here)
A few hours after sending off my email I received a phone call from BMW:
Your dealer will contact you today or in the morning to arrange the delivery of a new bike
So... Now I have a brand-new bike in the garage and can I start riding again.
Thanks BMW, excellent service

Far away is only far away if you never go there
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Warranty outcome

Post by Casbar »

Great result, well done.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Ricwolt wrote: Hi there
Bad News and Good news
I had an issue with my new 1200RTLC which I bought new in April this year.
The steering was tight and the bike  was hard to handle at low speeds (20-30 kph or less)
Dealer technician: Just give it a bit of time, it will loosen up!
I gave it some time- rode the bike for a day without the steering damper to see if that was the problem.(it wasn't)

On Sept 23,After 2000 km I gave to bike back to the dealer.
Have been there many times and still no better.
After hearing a lot of explanation from the "mechanic's" I decided that after 9 weeks I had had enough

I wrote to BMW and quoted my warranty booklet which states that I am entitles to a refund or replacement for a major fault.
(In my book this is not  major fault, but apparently for the "technicians " it is.)
I sent my 5 month running report of phone calls and conversations plus a letter to BMW. (I can post them here)
A few hours after sending off my email I received a phone call from BMW:
Your dealer will contact you today or in the morning to arrange the delivery of a new bike
So... Now I have a brand-new bike in the garage and can I start riding again.
Thanks BMW, excellent service

Very interesting - how did you manage to convince BMW that there was a major fault when the BMW trained technicians couldn't find a fault ??

And please let us know how you get on with the replacement bike .(identical bike with identical tyres ?)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Excellent result ???
Just hope your slow ridding technique improves quicker then your grammar  :(
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

tony23 wrote: Excellent result ???
Just hope your slow ridding technique improves quicker then your grammar  :(

This is a  BMW forum, surely we are not going to start criticising peoples grammar and spelling, it isn't a school forum. If people want to be pedantic suggest they get over to UKGSER, you can get all the crap you want there.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Casbar wrote:
This is a  BMW forum, surely we are not going to start criticising peoples grammar and spelling, it isn't a school forum. If people want to be pedantic suggest they get over to UKGSER, you can get all the crap you want there.
Well said
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Excellent result 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Ricwolt

Post by Ricwolt »

gogs01 wrote:
Very interesting - how did you manage to convince BMW that there was a major fault when the BMW trained technicians couldn't find a fault ??

And please let us know how you get on with the replacement bike.(identical bike with identical tyres ?)

At first they "adjusted" things, and yes, I noticed a difference... it was worse!  The bottom triangle was replaced (no change) then  different tyres were fitted. (no change) A new front axle was next (again no change) and the guessing game continued.  Then they asked me to come and ride their new demo model which felt very different.

Convincing BMW?  I wrote: After riding 600.000 km, mostly on BMW's I think I have enough experience and knowledge about how a bike should handle.  I can't be fobbed off with a: "Oh, an old guy who doesn't know what he is talking about" or "someone without experience" etc.  In the past I owned a R80RT which used for 180.000 km and a R100GSPD  for 225.000 km. The latter had seen most of Australia, Asia and nearly all countries of Europe.
I mentioned that I was fed up and a deadline of Dec 1 should be fair to reach a positive result without the use of outside help. 
Far away is only far away if you never go there
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Casbar wrote:
Spot on.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Ricwolt wrote:
At first they "adjusted" things, and yes, I noticed a difference... it was worse!  The bottom triangle was replaced (no change) then  different tyres were fitted. (no change) A new front axle was next (again no change) and the guessing game continued.  Then they asked me to come and ride their new demo model which felt very different.

Convincing BMW?  I wrote: After riding 600.000 km, mostly on BMW's I think I have enough experience and knowledge about how a bike should handle.  I can't be fobbed off with a: "Oh, an old guy who doesn't know what he is talking about" or "someone without experience" etc.  In the past I owned a R80RT which used for 180.000 km and a R100GSPD  for 225.000 km. The latter had seen most of Australia, Asia and nearly all countries of Europe.
I mentioned that I was fed up and a deadline of Dec 1 should be fair to reach a positive result without the use of outside help.
Good result, and interesting that you were successful when there didn't seem to be an agreement on what the actual defect was, apart from the symptoms you describe. I think in the UK you would have to get the dealer to agree that there was a defect before they got BMW involved. I take it the new bike is OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

tony23 wrote: ...Just hope your slow ridding technique improves quicker then your grammar

I agree with the others here. Especially with your spelling issues!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:

I agree with the others here. Especially with your spelling issues!

But there have only been two of you who have mentioned grammar and spelling, so think your in the minority and probably on the wrong forum. Personally I left school in 73, so couldn't give a toss about spelling and grammar  8)  The content is the important thing in posts. Unless your an English teacher, then I could understand the need to point out errors.
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Kind of related - kind of not  :D

I have experienced some 'weirdness' in the handling of my 2018, but this is what I put it down to. (I service my bike with a very experienced BMW tech and he has checked everything in the front with no issues noted at my 600 mile break in service)

I came from an RS to an RT. The RS has a smaller shield as one would expect on a sport bike. This meant that although some wind was deflected, a lot would still be felt on the body and in windy/gusty conditions you would obviously push against/manage it that way. I live near the coast so it seems the wind never knows which direction it wants to blow from one minute to the next. Now with the RT the majority of the wind is getting caught up (as is intended) by the fairing and shield. For a rider like me that is new to this level of wind deflection, this creates a different handling experience in certain conditions.

I was worried at first that it was something with the bike and I have read these threads about guys complaining about a 'squirrely' front end, but I often wonder if those riders have ever owned a motorcycle with such effective wind deflection. I had a Harley Davidson Fat Bob a few years ago. It is a naked bike with a detachable windscreen option. If you put the windscreen on, it was like a giant sail - gives a very different feel in the handlebars. Less wind management with the body - more through the hands.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: But there have only been two of you who have mentioned grammar and spelling, so think your in the minority and probably on the wrong forum. Personally I left school in 73, so couldn't give a toss about spelling and grammar 8) The content is the important thing in posts. Unless your an English teacher, then I could understand the need to point out errors.
Hi Casbar. You misread my post. I am wholeheartedly supporting you. I was pointing out that in tony23's effort to criticise the OP, he himself mis-spelled his own comments.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote: Hi Casbar. You misread my post. I am wholeheartedly supporting you. I was pointing out that in tony23's effort to criticise the OP, he himself mis-spelled his own comments.

Sorry. I obviously did miss read your post. I couldn’t believe someone else was going on about spelling. Lol sorry