CLUTCH CHATTER

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Chickadee66

CLUTCH CHATTER

Post by Chickadee66 »

How do I reduce the clutch chatter/rattle on my R1200RT SE when the engine is warm? It is quite on start up. >:(
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: CLUTCH CHATTER

Post by Our Gee »

"Clutch Chatter" is a new one on me. Which model RT are we talking about ?.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our Gee wrote: "Clutch Chatter" is a new one on me. Which model RT are we talking about ?.

His profile says 2009
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Most wet clutches rattle unless the clutch is pulled in.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Pickaxe wrote: Most wet clutches rattle unless the clutch is pulled in.

There’s a thing.  It’s a dry one.  And you can’t .
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I have a LC with 6000 miles on it and have noticed there are times when there is a slight mechanical "chatter" from the clutch/gearbox area at idle, especially when I start it after a long hot run. It's sounds just like a clutch bearing noise and stops when you pull the clutch in. It doesn't do it when cold. I've taken it to two dealers near me and both have said its nothing to worry about. They both said its the gearbox "chattering " at idle and is very common. One said that the LC engine is mechanically noisy at idle, and that previous air cooled models were the same if not worse. With that in mind I went to a local dealers open day where quite a few boxer BMs were present and sure enough a lot of them were making a slight noise at idle, a NineT being the most noticeable. You can "provoke" it by pulling the clutch in and out and listening carefully to the gearbox area. I mentioned it again when I took mine in for its recent 6000 mile service and no fault was found. It did seem a bit quieter after the oil was changed. I'm quite happy with it and don't notice it unless I listen for it. The clutch/gearbox works perfectly and I'm more than happy with the bike as a whole. Obviously there'll be owners who say that theirs  are perfectly quiet but as I say mine is only there when i really listen for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I have a 17 plate LC that's noisy when hot, it's been back to the dealer to investigate, again they said it's normal and not to worry about.
There was a tech having a cigarette in the car park when I was leaving and I asked him to listen, he laughed and said mine was a good one "we get them worse than yours out of the crate"

I'm happy with the bike and the noise doesn't bother me anymore. 
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

The OPs bike is pre liquid cooled and has, as stated by RTman, a dry clutch, LCs have a wet clutch. No similarity. A little bit of clutch chatter is not uncommon on many vehicles.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

blokeonthemove wrote: The OPs bike is pre liquid cooled and has, as stated by RTman, a dry clutch, LCs have a wet clutch. No similarity. A little bit of clutch chatter is not uncommon on many vehicles.
You're correct in saying the clutches are different but the point is that it's not the clutch making the noise, in either case. According to the techs in two dealers near me it's the gearbox chattering at idle.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

B787MECH wrote: You're correct in saying the clutches are different but the point is that it's not the clutch making the noise, in either case. According to the techs in two dealers near me it's the gearbox chattering at idle.

If a gearbox is chattering I would suggest it’s about to expire.  It’ll be the clutch itself or the thrust bearing.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

If it was the clutch or clutch bearing it would do it all the time, and would be extremely unlikely after only 6000 miles. As previously mentioned it's worse when first started after a long hot run (I.e. the oil is very hot) and improved after an oil change therefore reinforcing what the dealer techs said, i.e that the gearbox shafts are making a resonating "chattering" noise that is barely audible and is nothing to worry about.

BikerBill

Post by BikerBill »

Hi folks, I'm newbie to this forum and have recently bought  2008 factory lowered 1200rt.  I also own a 2001 1150 which has covered 111,000 miles and still runs like it should.
The 1200 has done 28,000 and has the usual, pretty noticable clutch/box chatter on tickover.  It's still under warranty that covers the box but not the clutch... is it worth getting it pulled apart and inspected or just ride on and hope for the best!  The 1150 chatters but slightly less than the 1200....what you think?
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

If its a dry one,it could be the thrust bearing,  its a clutch strip to find out I think