Vibration over uneven surfaces - should I be worried?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest5111

Vibration over uneven surfaces - should I be worried?

Post by guest5111 »

I'm new to the RT, still getting a feel for the bike. It's a 2016 plate SE, 4000 miles, up to date with servicing. I've noticed a harshness when riding on poor surfaces, such as ripples in tarmac or where the road has been repaired. It feels like I'm riding across a washboard, and the first time it happened I wondered if something had come loose from the underside. The vibes seem to emanate from an area slightly behind and below my feet. It disappears on good road surfaces, and seems to have no effect on the bike's performance.

I read somewhere of a similar effect from 'shaft backlash', but don't know whether that is it. I've done a visual check, pushed and pulled various stuff such as both stands, and all seems solid.

I'd appreciate the collective consciousness of the Forum - is this just the 'character' of the bike, or a problem?
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Vibration over uneven surfaces - should I be worried?

Post by pkpilot »

Back2TheBike wrote: I'm new to the RT, still getting a feel for the bike. It's a 2016 plate SE, 4000 miles, up to date with servicing. I've noticed a harshness when riding on poor surfaces, such as ripples in tarmac or where the road has been repaired. It feels like I'm riding across a washboard, and the first time it happened I wondered if something had come loose from the underside. The vibes seem to emanate from an area slightly behind and below my feet. It disappears on good road surfaces, and seems to have no effect on the bike's performance.

I read somewhere of a similar effect from 'shaft backlash', but don't know whether that is it. I've done a visual check, pushed and pulled various stuff such as both stands, and all seems solid.

I'd appreciate the collective consciousness of the Forum - is this just the 'character' of the bike, or a problem?
Does the same behavior occur in all three riding modes (soft, normal, hard)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

pkpilot wrote: Does the same behavior occur in all three riding modes (soft, normal, hard)?

Good question. I don't know, so will investigate. It's in normal at the moment. Thanks.

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I think that some tyres, and depending on wear, react differently on uneven ranoad surfaces. I seem to remember experiencing it on the original continental tyres. Not noticetrad it on my current 01s.
I'll concentrate next time I'm out, but that won't be for a while seeing what the weather's doing.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Done 12k on my 2014, haven't noticed anything like you describe. Running PR4GTs
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks all for the responses so far. Another way of describing it would be it's as if I'm riding over a cattle grid, but at a slightly higher frequency. I can feel and hear it, but it passes immediately I'm back on a good surface.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Can't say I've noticed it on mine which is a 2016 with just under 8K miles.  To eliminate the shaft backlash bit from the investigation here are a couple of suggestions:  Find a suitable bit of road and whip the clutch in, so separating transmission from engine.  If it goes then the backlash may be the culprit.  Alternatively, try a lower gear under really gentle acceleration and see what happens.  I think either of these should change the vibes if they are being crated by a bit of shunt in the transmission.  Good luck!
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Sprintgull wrote: Can't say I've noticed it on mine which is a 2016 with just under 8K miles.  To eliminate the shaft backlash bit from the investigation here are a couple of suggestions:  Find a suitable bit of road and whip the clutch in, so separating transmission from engine.  If it goes then the backlash may be the culprit.  Alternatively, try a lower gear under really gentle acceleration and see what happens.  I think either of these should change the vibes if they are being crated by a bit of shunt in the transmission.  Good luck!
Thanks for this idea, I'll give it a go. Been out this morning for 90 mins on a training ride, had bike in rain/normal mode. I deliberately chose some rough surfaces and it didn't 'manifest'. If it was 'backlash', is that a problem or just an RT trait?

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Take it to a dealer and ask them to test ride it, they will know if its an issue, or take a demo bike out and see if it does the same thing.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

4,000 miles are they the original tires?
My OEM metzlers got a little wonky at the 3500-4000 mile point
No issues after switching to PR4’s
Jim
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

T6pilot wrote: 4,000 miles are they the original tires?
My OEM metzlers got a little wonky at the 3500-4000 mile point
No issues after switching to PR4’s
Did that translate into a harsh feel on rough, corrugated surfaces? Presume you'd recommend the PR4's then as the best replacement ? I know nothing about tyres!

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I replaced my Metzelers with PR4s.  I wanted PR3s because I'd had really good results with them on my air cooled RT, but the BMW dealer said the PR3s weren't recommended fitment for the water cooled RT.
I've no complaints with the PR4s, but it's early days yet - and I'm not prepared to find out if they're good on ice / snow.  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks for that. I had a comment on my Youtube channel that the Metzeler Z8's start to fade at 4000 miles (I have 3900 now) and this might be the cause. Maybe some new tyres in the spring?! Like you, I'd have to fit snowchains today to get out ...
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Mine came with Z8s as standard and they were feeling very odd by about 5000.  Switched to PR4s and love 'em!  Personal choice of course but I found the Z8s to be prone to tramlining over white lines etc.  The PR4s have 2500 on them now and still ride and look like new.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I just got this comment on my Youtube channel, and think this might be it. I'd be interested in your experiences of how/when traction control kicks in on ageing tyres and rippled, rough surface (Rain mode, Roadtech Z8's, 3900 miles, properly inflated, no damage). What does TC sound like, feel like etc

[size=14px]Comment from COD K1600: 'Sounds like the traction control might have kicked in with regards the chatter cattle grid feeling, Z8 old now (i was disappointed with them) do you know if they are ok? E.g. any repairs, been left on side stand over the winter, under or over inflation, excessive braking and acceleration. [/size][size=14px] [/size][size=14px] [/size][size=14px]£300 on a new set of Roadtech 01 might be worth a consideration or just going to a tyre shop and asking them to check them, any damp or slippery conditions best just leave in rain mode for now....'[/size]