2008 RT grips mod

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

2008 RT grips mod

Post by temesvar »

I have a 2008 R1200RT. Heated grips, cruise control, and it all works fine!
But I have a problem : Am not comfortable with the grip's diameter, that
is larger than a standard bike's, and no after market grips can be used.
Am sure this can be modified! Am willing to give up the heaters, to be able
install any after market grips are available. Was wondering if anyone has
done this mod or thought about it?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 2008 RT grips mod

Post by David. »

Haven't done this mod. myself, how about this for a thought.

Carefully remove the original grip, without damaging the heating elements.

Wrap with something like tennis racket grip tape.

temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Thanks for the first picture. What year bike is that? For what I was told, after 2007
for a few years, the heaters are molded in the rubber. Earlier models are like in the
picture, and can be removed. In that case can keep the heaters and use the tennis
over grip tape is ideal! I used that on the steering wheel of my car! :kacsint2:
Am still looking for a set of used grips, heated or not, that I can clean down
to the dia. of standard motorcycle grips. The sleeves look rather unusual!
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.ph ... 1512579873
Thanks for your suggestions, never know who can benefit from them!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

You could be correct about the heaters being moulded in the rubber grip. The photo may be from an LT not an RT. Sorry for any confusion.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Wish I wasn't! But looks like greed drives BMW to design grips this way, so when need to replace, have to pay for a set of heaters, although yours are still in good working order. Doesn't matter, I just don't like the design and would like to replace with a aftermarket set that can be used an just about any other bike. :be happy:
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

temesvar wrote: Am willing to give up the heaters,

Are you SURE?
Heated grips are a very important factor for me in rider comfort. The grip diameter is a workaround for me by selecting the relevant gloves.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

It may be only me, but a good size and quality grip is more important than a heated one.
If I could have them both, why not? But I prefer to have the option of changing grips with
any after market available. If I want the luxury to have artificial heat, it would not be only
at the palm of my hand! I prefer heat on the outside, therefore get heated gloves. Never
had a set yet.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

temesvar wrote: It may be only me, but a good size and quality grip is more important than a heated one.

Well I wouldn't say you are the only one, but I would suggest you fall into the minority. After all, you don't HOLD ON to the grips, you are basically just resting your hands there. And I am unsure of what diameter of grip you are trying to achieve. You are trying to make them smaller, right?
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

bandytales wrote: After all, you don't HOLD ON to the grips, you are basically just resting your hands there. And I am unsure of what diameter of grip you are trying to achieve. You are trying to make them smaller, right?
I actually DO hold on to the grips, that is how I ride. And sure hope am not a minority there!! :kacsint2:
But yes, I do rest one hand at a time, but just when cruising. And for that, I love BMW's electronic cruise control.
Much better than just a throttle blocker!
As for the diameter am trying to achieve: same as most motorcycles in the world!! To be clear here, my bike is a 2008 RT.
The grips, heated kind, not very stylish to begin with, worn look worst yet. The diameter is up to 35 mm. Being worn, just
to hide the looks, added a set of Grip Puppies. That made them even bigger. Left them on for over a year. Thought would get
used to them. And I did! But there is this occasional change of ride, when I realize how much better I feel riding a standard size
grip. And that is why I intend to make this mod! And I would like to install a stylish Rizoma set of grips, or any other that I may
find attractive. I just don't want to be stuck with that one and only model available for my bike. And that is all I am trying to accomplish!
pockomoth

Post by pockomoth »

One can take the OEM grips off, disable the heating element,  add an aftermarket heating element like others do to their non-heated grip bikes, then put grips of your choice over them. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

temesvar

Post by temesvar »

pockomoth wrote: One can take the OEM grips off, disable the heating element, add an aftermarket heating element like others do to their non-heated grip bikes, then put grips of your choice over them.
Did you ever try this? Or let me rephrase this: would you be willing to do as you suggest?
I asked this question to avoid surprises.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

temesvar wrote: I have a 2008 R1200RT. Heated grips, cruise control, and it all works fine!
But I have a problem : Am not comfortable with the grip's diameter, that
is larger than a standard bike's, and no after market grips can be used.
Am sure this can be modified! Am willing to give up the heaters, to be able
install any after market grips are available. Was wondering if anyone has
done this mod or thought about it?
Funny how people are so different, when I replaced my 2008 with a 2015 RT I found the OEM grips to be too narrow and went straight out and fitted "Grip Puppies" to solve the problem!!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

TJRL wrote: Funny how people are so different, when I replaced my 2008 with a 2015 RT I found the OEM grips to be too narrow and went straight out and fitted "Grip Puppies" to solve the problem!!
If we were all the same, the world would be a dull place! :kacsint2: You got used to the 2008 and that is why you found the 2015 to be thinner.
I think you meant thinner, not narrow...Same here. Got used to my Triumph, and found the RT's to be to thick. Can always go bigger if I wish.
pockomoth

Post by pockomoth »

temesvar wrote: Did you ever try this? Or let me rephrase this: would you be willing to do as you suggest?
I asked this question to avoid surprises.
I have not tried this, I was discouraged to do so by my dealer.  I'm just saying it's possible.  Usually, I don't mess with BMW OEM.  Other brands yes, but BMW builds things to work together, think of them like Apple and everything else like Android.

temesvar

Post by temesvar »

David. wrote: Haven't done this mod. myself, how about this for a thought.
Carefully remove the original grip, without damaging the heating elements.
Here is a pick of my dissected grip! There is no way to remove the rubber from the thin nylon.
The rubber is molded over the plastic and they go to garbage together! All I kept was the wheel that rolls the
throttle cables. All is good now, managed to make the grips replaceable, just like any other manufacturer has.
Have a 1" sleeve for throttle, and the bars are 22 mill. Most rubber grips come with 7/8 left and 1" right.
Mission accomplished! :kacsint2:
Attachments
IMG_0899.JPG