Oil change using an oil extractor (pump)?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Zapata

Oil change using an oil extractor (pump)?

Post by Zapata »

Hello Team:

Anyone knows if using a pump/oil extractor will work on this engines?

I normally use the oil extractor in all my vehicles (bikes/cars) and works very fine. But wondering if the extractor will reach all the way to the bottom of the engine to suck out all the oil.

Thank you very much.

- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil change using an oil extractor (pump)?

Post by David. »

Zapata wrote:Anyone know if using a pump/oil extractor will work on this engines?
Most unlikely, the oil filler cap is on the RHS valve cover. From that position, there is no chance of getting a tube to the bottom of the sump.

If you are looking for something to aid/speed up oil changes,
fitting a Quick Valve http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/motorcycles ... tm?veh=BMW,
or Stahlbus oil drain valve http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil ... /index.php,
might be an alternative.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

I like the idea of that Stahlbus drain gizmo but according to there web site it is only suitable for RT's until 2013 any one tried to fit one to an 2014lc? cheers.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I never realised removing a bolt was so difficult  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

futterweasel wrote:I like the idea of that Stahlbus drain gizmo but according to there web site it is only suitable for RT's until 2013 any one tried to fit one to an 2014lc?
The sump drain plug on a 2014 RT LC (K52) is M20 x 1.5, same as GS LC (K50),  earlier RT's have an M16 x 1.5 plug.

Therefore, the one for the GS should fit the RT, http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/product ... rfilters=0
Levisp wrote:I have a Stahlbus valve fitted to my 2014 RT LC and its M20 x 1.5 (SB-210511-S-NA).
Available from Demon Tweeks in the UK, https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... rain-valve
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Thanks for that David,
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Fitting a Stahlbus drain plug would remove the OEM magnetic plug.

If this is of concern, could always slap some magnets on the oil filter, http://www.magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk/ ... gnets.html
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

You can also use the magnets from old computer hard drives. Just take the hard drive apart and remove the magnets. They are very strong.
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I do not understand why one would want to suck oil out rather then have it drain and flushing residue from the oil pan?

And I have seen these quick drain items and would never trust my bike to one.  Just the added mass hanging out and down from the drain plug is calling road debris to hit me and cause a issue.

I think one need to just turn the wrench and get it done that way.

futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

LAF wrote: I do not understand why one would want to suck oil out rather then have it drain and flushing residue from the oil pan?

And I have seen these quick drain items and would never trust my bike to one.  Just the added mass hanging out and down from the drain plug is calling road debris to hit me and cause a issue.

I think one need to just turn the wrench and get it done that way.

Sorry I don't understand "Just the added mass hanging out and down from the drain plug is calling road debris to hit me and cause a issue"
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

futterweasel wrote:
Sorry I don't understand "Just the added mass hanging out and down from the drain plug is calling road debris to hit me and cause a issue"

I assume it refers to the Stahibus drain plug which projects further from the sump than the OEM plug and is therefore more exposed to accidental damage.
I've never found removing a sump drain plug to be a task crying out for a more complex and expensive solution, but maybe that's just me .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

gogs01 wrote: I've never found removing a sump drain plug to be a task crying out for a more complex and expensive solution, but maybe that's just me .....

+1..  what with sticking magnets on the oil filter as well? Sounds like it's creating more work to me  :alas:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One of the advantages of both these oil draining systems is, once fitted, you don't need to continue to screw a Steel drain plug in & out of an Aluminium sump.

Have had experience of a sump drain hole thread becoming stripped on an RT by the plug not being fitted correctly or overtightened by a.n.other.
(Managed to recover sufficient of the thread using a plug tap).

Also, after having a car serviced, the sump drain plug partially worked it's way out, was finger tight, again by a.n.other.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: One of the advantages of both these oil draining systems is, once fitted, you don't need to continue to screw a Steel drain plug in & out of an Aluminium sump.

Have had experience of a sump drain hole thread becoming stripped on an RT by the plug not being fitted correctly or overtightened by a.n.other.
(Managed to recover sufficient of the thread using a plug tap).

Also, after having a car serviced, the sump drain plug partially worked it's way out, was finger tight, again by a.n.other.

You need to stop a.n.other. working on your vehicles! He's obviously related to N.O.Idea  ;)