Loose connector under ignition key?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Zapata

Loose connector under ignition key?

Post by Zapata »

Hello Team:

New owner here. I found this loose connector under the ignition key. Can I use it to adapt a USB charger?

I don't want to cut the connector, what type of connector do I need to use this one? Picture on link.

http://img.gg/yWobc9X

Thank you very much.
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Loose connector under ignition key?

Post by temesvar »

That looks like the key activated connection, should use for GPS
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

^^^ Got it. But what connector do I need to get to attach a 12v socket the cigarette lighter adapter type?

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-Ciga ... er+adapter
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Yes, that looks like the one I got. Puts out 12v when the ignition is on.

I wanted to run a car SatNav, so stepped it done to 5v and hard wired it.

Take a look here for identification of each wire:

https://1200rt.com/index.php?topic=3181.msg33335#new
Last edited by Sullivj on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quick word of warning.  We had an incident in the summer when on tour where an owner found he had a flat battery the morning after riding 400 miles.  It turned out he had plugged in a USB adaptor plug into an accessory socket and left it there.  Nothing was plugged into,it but it kept the socket live and over 8 hours flattened the battery.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Does the connector under the ignition key work in the same way as an accessory socket.

My understanding is that it is a switched live & doesn't stay live when the ignition is switched off, unlike the accessory socket.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not correct.  They all shut down when you switch off.  If something is left connected it can fool canbus into leaving it live.  That’s why a GPS shuts down when you switch off. However even those have been known to run down batteries.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thank you for clarifying that.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

RTman10 wrote: Quick word of warning.  We had an incident in the summer when on tour where an owner found he had a flat battery the morning after riding 400 miles.  It turned out he had plugged in a USB adaptor plug into an accessory socket and left it there.  Nothing was plugged into,it but it kept the socket live and over 8 hours flattened the battery.
Don't understand if nothing was plugged into the usb adapter what was drawing the current?   
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

futterweasel wrote: Don't understand if nothing was plugged into the usb adapter what was drawing the current? 
The crap aftermarket adaptor.  When it was removed the drain stopped.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

futterweasel wrote: Don't understand if nothing was plugged into the usb adapter what was drawing the current? 

Because the device is still stepping down the output circuit,  they still draw a small amount of power even with nothing plugged in.  When I wired my accessories  I took a live feed from the accessory socket to a relay  then powered the actual devices via the relay from the battery.  That way only the relay switch circuit was being fed from the accessory socket.  Once the ignition turns off there is a 20 second delay until the accessory socket check if it is OK to power down  as the relay switch drain is negligible the socket shuts down.  The relays cuts the power to the accessories  everything switches off.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Autocom control hub on my 2012 TC is wired as follows, -ve wire directly to the battery negative terminal & +ve to live switched feed (rear power socket).

When the ignition is switched on, the Autocom works, with the ignition off, it doesn't.
As above, this must mean, when not in use, the control hub is drawing insufficient current to keep the circuit open.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The 12V to 5V step-down transformer. DAMHIK.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: The Autocom control hub on my 2012 TC is wired as follows, -ve wire directly to the battery negative terminal & +ve to live switched feed (rear power socket).

When the ignition is switched on, the Autocom works, with the ignition off, it doesn't.
As above, this must mean, when not in use, the control hub is drawing insufficient current to keep the circuit open.

For. Number of years now Autocom units only power up if a headset is connected.  No headset no,drain.  The downside to using an accessory socket for the positive feed is this can stop a battery charger working as it detects the unit and thinks there is a fault.