R1200RT Comms Triangle - Scala Rider QZ, SatNav VI & Phone

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

R1200RT Comms Triangle - Scala Rider QZ, SatNav VI & Phone

Post by guest5111 »

I've had my RT for 8 weeks now, so nearly an expert on everything  :-\

Here is my take on what I've called the 'communications triangle' - SatNav VI, Bluetooth Headset and Phone - and their inter-operability. It's not meant to be an in-depth review on any particular unit, but I'll probably do that some time in the future.

As always comments are invited either here on YouTube as we look to understand the mystery that is bluetooth and how this strange force connects various pieces of kit. Or doesn't.

Be nice.

https://youtu.be/5qOSxtnpA4Y
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: R1200RT Comms Triangle - Scala Rider QZ, SatNav VI & Phone

Post by Casbar »

Good vid. I also have a Scala, but its a Packtalk, so the top of the range. I have two, one for my wife and one for myself. So when on the RT, I pair my phone with the Nav and the Nav with the BT unit. The second channel I connect the BT unit with the bike (have audio). The second unit, I pair one channel with my phone and the second channel with the Nav. This enables me to use the headset on different bikes and with different Navs. It all works well. I have previously been in contact with Cardo in the states and they have been really good, if you email technical, they always respond within a day. But I have always bought my BT kit from a BT expert, so they have always been able to explain if I think something isn't working.

By the way, most car and bike speedos over read, unless like some of our authority bikes which have calibrated speedos. Think yours is about right, I do ride a FJR1300 and that speedo over reads by upto 6 mph at higher speeds :)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks Casbar. My next project is to upgrade the speakers by cannibalising a pair of Sony headphones. Could all go horribly wrong and will be video'd. No pressure ... :beee:
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: Thanks Casbar. My next project is to upgrade the speakers by cannibalising a pair of Sony headphones. Could all go horribly wrong and will be video'd. No pressure ... :beee:

I bought a pair of aftermarket speakers, which plug straight into the Packtalk. I bought these TORX Xpro, they are excellent. Bit pricey though :)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Sounds like you've just defined my fallback plan ...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There was also a method in my changing to these, they come with a 3mm plug, plus an extension lead, so when I'm doing training, I can unplug the speakers from the BT unit and put the extension lead on and plug it into the Radio the instructors use, so I can hear without having the standard ear speaker around my ear lobe, which always ends up painful by the end of the day.