IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #1

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #1

Post by guest5111 »

Here we go on my first observed ride with the IAM on their Advanced Rider programme. 5 hours actually, knackered afterwards ... but transformed the way I sit on the the RT.

Like Kwai Chang Caine, I have much to learn (grasshopper).

Interested to know how the first session felt for those of you who've done this or similar?

https://youtu.be/6ri140voe74
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #1

Post by Casbar »

Another good video. The instructor looks very good. You mention riding to Police class 1 standard, you will not get that from the standard IAM test. You will need to go and do the Masters or RoSPA Gold. Lots of rivalry between IAM and RoSPA, camps, the difference was the Police examiner I had for my RoSPA told me to obtain a gold, he would have to be confident that he would hand me the keys to his patrol bike. IAM now do the Masters which is a higher standard than the standard test. So most say, IAM is equivalent to RoSPA Silver and IAM Masters matches RoSPA gold.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks Casbar. Certainly plenty to work on now!
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Great vid mate, did my I A M last year, certainly makes you a better rider. Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Oldbrook wrote: Great vid mate, did my I A M last year, certainly makes you a better rider. Dave

Thanks Dave. How many sessions did you need?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our guys that do the IAM/RoSPA, normally take 6 months, as they have to practice in-between. But most have already come from a pretty high standard of continuous riding, so its working on ironing out the bad habits, rather than teaching them how to ride.
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

I had about 6 observed rides and then 1 final check with the chief observer. Really enjoyed the course. I have now signed up to become a fellow of the I A M so i get re-tested. Which group are training you, i am a member of PECAM ( Peterborough and Cambridge advanced motorcyclists. Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Northants. I guess I'm probably different from most of you good folks in that I've had such a long gap, nearly 40 years. The challenge for me is learning the bike as well as learning how to ride to an advanced standard at the same time. My instructor guessed around a dozen sessions when I enquired. If it takes twice that I'm quite relaxed about it, it's not a race, more the journey that's important. I note the point about practice too - I'd like a couple of sessions by myself between each 'instruct'. I've been out today wobbling around the lanes practising my posture, grip, cornering and 'radar'.
Last edited by guest5111 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

A lot depends on your group  I  Manchester we have a course based around 5 Observed rides  each one based on a part of " The System"  Starting with Information and Position    each one builds on the previous  and we expect the associate to put in at least 100 miles between runs  we offer them some suggested routes or they can ride the next planed route.  Each ride is with a different Observer  but each associate is assigned a National Observer who keeps in contact and monitors the development
It works for us  and we have a 98% Pass rate.  But the most important part always is the associates attitude.  We encourage them to question and challenge anything they don't understand. 
Keeps our observers on their toes  ;) [size=78%]  [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
I have been a National Observer for 4 years and an Local Observer assessor.  Helps keep my skill sets up to standard and is a good excuse to get out and ride
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

Hi all newbie to forum here
I'm a tutor with ROSPA Merseyside & Lancashire we do 3 courses a year each course is 6 consecutive saturdays with 1 hour in class room then out on bikes
works well some experienced students will then take the test & some take course several times no pressure to take the test
Take my hat off to any taking any advanced training

guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Exportman / Paul, good to hear your comments. Looks like different groups have different approaches then? As a trainer myself I know there are many routes to competence so will just roll with whatever my group advises.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Back2TheBike wrote: Exportman / Paul, good to hear your comments. Looks like different groups have different approaches then? As a trainer myself I know there are many routes to competence so will just roll with whatever my group advises.
Indeed there are  and I'm sure Paul like myself finds that giving a student a time frame help concentrate their mind,  We had someone transfer from a southern group last year  he had done  a lot of runs over two years with his assigned observer and was still not considered test ready.  He wasn't  but with the way we deliver the roadsmart program he was ready after the 5 runs and passed  without any problems.  I'm not criticising the other group, just that we find having a time line mapped out to begin with helps most.  We still have some who take a little longer  but that is human nature. 
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

totally agree exportman did the  masters with IAM sefton another good group
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Hi Back2TheBike, i watched the video & enjoyed it thanks. I am Antony who commented on the gears you were riding in on the video. What do the others on this post think regarding the gears? Have you watched the video? I replied that I thought it was strange to keep to 3rd gear for most of the rides even 2nd gear for a long time. You were doing 75 in 4th gear and no change up to 5/6 Do you think this is the way to ride especially in winter with the revs up and more traction to the back wheel?
Will be interested to see the replies not criticising the ride but keen to see what the instructors say.

I passed my rospa at silver a long time ago and am looking to do advanced again, I am based in South Wales and really think it makes riding a motorcycle far more enjoyable.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

aphill24 wrote: Hi Back2TheBike, i watched the video & enjoyed it thanks. I am Antony who commented on the gears you were riding in on the video. What do the others on this post think regarding the gears? Have you watched the video? I replied that I thought it was strange to keep to 3rd gear for most of the rides even 2nd gear for a long time. You were doing 75 in 4th gear and no change up to 5/6 Do you think this is the way to ride especially in winter with the revs up and more traction to the back wheel?
Will be interested to see the replies not criticising the ride but keen to see what the instructors say.

I passed my rospa at silver a long time ago and am looking to do advanced again, I am based in South Wales and really think it makes riding a motorcycle far more enjoyable.

If you live in South Wales, have a look at 1stclassrider.co.uk They do a brilliant advanced 5 day course, at the end you can do your IAM and RoSPA tests, the school is run by an ex Police instructor and all the instructors are either serving or retired police officers. I am doing my RoSPA test again this year, so going along on the May course.

In answer to your question about gears, when I did my IAM and RoSPA training I used the best gears to be able to make progress and be able to accelerate, I never stayed in 2nd or 3rd, the only gear I never used was 6th (unless on the Motorway).