'Northern Monkeys' 2018 mini Tours.

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

'Northern Monkeys' 2018 mini Tours.

Post by k9doc »

Just gauging interest for now, but following on from our successes of 2017, and to stave off cabin fever, I was thinking of the season to come.

Mini trips varying between 1 and  4 nights were considered last year, some happened, some didn't. The ones that happened ie Wales and the Lake District seemed to go very well, but there is definitely unfinished business.
The ones that didn't happen were based on Balloch (Loch Lomond) for the SW Highlands, Dumfries/Moffat riding into Dumfries & Galloway +/- Northumberland, and Haltwhistle as a base for Scottish Borders +/- Northumberland.
I, for one, wouldn't mind repeating (or similar) either the Lakes or Wales trips.
There are old threads (with a little more detail) for all these trips in the 'Get Together' section of the forum.

Is there an appetite for these type of trips?
Are there any other suggestions (hopefully of a helpful nature, but you can be blunt)?
Would likely participants prefer weekend or weekdays?

Obviously, to a large degree, the trips would be weather dependant but would likely bods prefer an ad hoc arrangement or ( for the workers among us ) an attempt at a programme which in all likelihood would be shot to pieces in quick time.

I appreciate that people will have other stuff going on (as will I) so as stated already, this is just to gather opinions and possible ideas.

Apologies for rambling.

Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: 'Northern Monkeys' 2018 mini Tours.

Post by simbo »

I'll be interested Chris, Weekends or long weekends preferably Image
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Weather permitting, I'm always interested in getting away on my bike, being ReTired, mid-week or weekends are fine with me.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I was hoping to come along to meet the Northern Monkeys in 2017 but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons.

I'd like to make at least one meet or mini tour in 2018.  I can do weekdays or weekends as long as the timing fits in with my other plans.

The talk of arrangements being weather dependant concerns me a little - I'm not a huge fan of cold or wet weather riding and I probably wouldn't set off for an ad hoc day ride if the weather was bad but, if I have a trip planned, I would normally just get suitable gear on and go.

Do you really intend to make plans weeks / months in advance then cancel if the weather forecast doesn't look good in the days running up to the event ?  :wonder:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

well with being a northern monkey I suppose I better join in rain or shine.  ;)

k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

gogs01 wrote: Do you really intend to make plans weeks / months in advance then cancel if the weather forecast doesn't look good in the days running up to the event ?  :wonder:
Last year  the 'planning team', ie David. and yours truly arranged alternative events for each occasion and ensured that hotels booked could be cancelled late without penalty. That way gave us the best chance of doing something if the weather in our preferred location didn't suit.
Adverse weather is an objective judgement and everyone would have an opinion and a call to make.
I agree with your comments re a day ride and also re a planned two week tour in foreign parts with hotels and ferries etc.
What I wouldn't be up for is a ride around the Welsh mountains in the pi$$ing rain with zero visibility for a weekend if the sun was shining in Scotland. If the weather was really bad everywhere, then I would be for cancelling and finding something else to do.
I think flexibility would be the mantra but on a 50/50 I would give it a go,
Hope this clarifies my personal approach but obviously other opinions are available and this is merely a consultation exercise.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tend to agree with some of the above comments about "weather permitting" rides. Riding for pleasure, not because I have to, means, given the choice, I wouldn't set off for a mini tour if it was raining or a poor forecast. To this end, any accommodation booked is on a 24/48 hours free cancellation basis. For the mini tours, GPS routes are usually available, therefore, the tour can be self guided if necessary. An example being, last year (2017) a tour based around Dumfries was planned, I didn't go but the trip still went ahead & by all accounts was very successful. Chris (k9doc) & I have put the NM's tours together. If anyone else would like to offer to arrange a tour/trip please fired away, the more the merrier. They don't need to be restricted to a particular geographical region, Scotland is good.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Thanks everyone for your input so far. It would be helpful to have an idea of advanced notice that would be preferred/expected relating to an upcoming event.

If a proposed event is likely to be 'pulled', the call would need to be made as late as possible to avoid penalty charges with hotels as indicated above, but prior discussions with participants would have taken place to arrive at a concensus.
Chris
Taz

Post by Taz »

I would like to join in, weather permitting (as others say).
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Taz wrote: I would like to join in, weather permitting (as others say).
You will be made very welcome along with gogs and anyone else who would like to come along.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Agreed, it would be good to see some new faces out with the NM's this year, either on the mini tours or days out from Wetherby once per month, (April to October).
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

Newbie here Hi all
wouldn't mind a run out with yous if thats ok

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

paul w wrote:Hi all wouldn't mind a run out with yous if thats ok.
You would be more than welcome Paul, keep an eye on the "Meetings and Get together" section for further details of forthcoming events.
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

Thanks David see you soon
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I normally tax my RT from 1st April, after the start of BST.